Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #155

Alpine Owners Club
So we have been using our Mobley for quite some time, 1st in the Mobley device, then very quickly in the Netgear LB1120, and now in the Nighthawk 1100. It is now our back-up or quick-use device when we don't take the time to set up Starlink..... still going strong and for $20 a month hard to give up
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2023, 02:53 PM   #156

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Mobley SIM also works well in a router
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #157

IF your Mobley is not being 'Throttled' in the Mobley when it is working - then do think a move to a Netgear MR1100 Nighthawk would be a positive. (The addition of External TS9 Antenna Ports alone - is a great positive in marginal coverage areas!). I would look into 'reputable' (Good luck determining exactly what that means!!!) refubished, or even used unit. Why? Because the our Car Connect SIM has been in a MR1100 Nighthawk for about about 4 years now. Until about 6 months ago, it has been our primary source to Internet Data. And still is, for surfing and non 'streaming' related duties. ATT made a mistake when I was getting a new SIM for a different device - and accidentally gave me a new SIM for the Car Connect plan... Ever since then, regardless of ATT assuring me that 'nothing has changed on your SIM in regard to functionality' - we've had 'Hit and Miss', mostly MISS, on being able to Stream. (I can do a Speednet Test on my laptop and see mid very good (20's, 30's, 40's Download Speeds - depending upon location. But, while trying to Stream via ROKU, and or Samsung Smart TV, the majority of the time all sources 'buffer' - and we're not able to watch TV or Stream Spotify. Doing Network Tests on ROKU, it shows 'LT 1 Mbps' Download Speeds... IMO, ATT via this new SIM - is now Throttling Streaming. The Car Connect Plan, for all of these years until the new accidental SIM - has only been subject to 'Network De-prioritization. I've spent multiple hours working thru various levels of Tech Support, and none can find any reason for this... And, from reading other sources, I'm not alone - as over the last year - some have had zero problems streaming - and others are seeing the same thing I am. My conclusion is that the Car Connect plan is on it's last legs, and it's time for us to move on and find a replacement for streaming. As long as we continue to get good Internet Download Speeds for Non Streaming - I'll keep the Car Connect plan in our arsenal for traveling. It just will not be depended on for Streaming usage.

Again, IF you've had no problems other ZTE Mobley devise related - it's worth the investment to see if a MR1100 Nighthawk will work for you. Not a major investment, and for sure, a much better set of antennas and bands available via the MR1100!

Best of luck, and please update what you do - and how it works out for you!
Smitty

PS: Sure. I was frustrated the local ATT Rep messed up and 'zapped' my original Car Connect Mobley SIM - it was an honest mistake, as she confused it with a Backup Unite Explore unit we carry - the one that I wanted a new SIM for... But I have no regrets... The Car Connect in the MR1100 has given us many years of good service... and at a great price. It never will be 5G, and I understand that - and tech moves forward... So we'll keep doing our research, and pick another way for our Internet Data Sources! Perhaps 5G...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:46 AM   #158

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I moved my Mobley SIM, connected car plan into a Orbi LBR20 cellular modem 2 years ago. I was able to go to ATT store and get the smaller Micro SIM wiht no questions asked. The only ATT device/plan I have is the Mobley connected car. It has worked in the LBR20 as our primary Internet, streaming (utube tv, amazon prime ... through fire stick) in the motorhome and in my sticks and bricks home. I do need to reboot every 1 or 2 weeks when things slow down on my local tower.
Good Luck.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #159

I wanted to update that for awhile, I thought we had our Throttling while streaming problem fixed... (For awhile(:!).

On another call with a ATT Higher Level Tech Support, he asked me to review what I was seeing on my ATT Login, as far as Stream Saver Setting. I showed it as Off. And he said, well, from the view I have it's 'ON!'. He said he suspected the IMEI was messed up when they did the last SIM correction for me. So while it looked to me like I was setting Stream Saver to Off, it was not flowing all the way in their systems... (My choice of wording, not his exactly.).

Per his suggestion, about three weeks or so ago, I took the MR1100 back into the same ATT Store. And said their Higher Level Tech Support suggested I get another new SIM. They did so for me...

Got back to our coach about a week ago, and we ROKU Streamed for 4 days without any issues. 5th day, now streaming... ROKU Check Connection, returned the dreaded < LT 1Mbps again. Onto my computer, Speednet showed 35-39Mbps in two or three tests.

Rebooted the MR1100, and ROKU Streamed again off and on over an 8 hour time period. Then, Throttled again... Rebooted MR1100, and this time - still Throttled... Waited to the next day, rebooted MR1100 - and Streaming ROKU again...

So, it's a Hit and Miss... Which while I have Verizon coverage with my S21 gUPD - is OK. But not cool, when I don't have that Verizon coverage...

====

So? Not sure what else to do now. Calling Tech Support again, and another hour or so of lost time - is really not too appealing to me(:!

So ODD that on REDIT, and a few other boards too, that some Car Connect Plans are working flawlessly, as ours did for years. And yet, other people are also having Throttling like problems...

Scratching my head, and supposed if this is the worse thing I have to worry about - well, it's not all that bad!!!! Maybe T-Mobile Home is worth a shot...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 03-27-2023, 11:00 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
On another call with a ATT Higher Level Tech Support, he asked me to review what I was seeing on my ATT Login, as far as Stream Saver Setting. I showed it as Off. And he said, well, from the view I have it's 'ON!'.

Smitty
Did the tech suggest trying to turn ON Stream Saver and then back off again?

Since you have gotten new sim card, what is Stream Saver showing now?
Old 03-27-2023, 03:33 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
Did the tech suggest trying to turn ON Stream Saver and then back off again?

Since you have gotten new sim card, what is Stream Saver showing now?
From my view, Stream Save is not on. It will a next week before I'll take the time to call back and work my way up to a Tech to see if they see something different.

Was able to stream some on Saturday, and then nope on Sunday... As we moved from Yuma to Indio... So change of Cell Towers were in that time period(?).

Will update if the next call comes up with anything of interest!
Smitty
Old 03-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #162

You could try connecting through a VPN service, though this can be hit or miss as many of the streaming services ban known VPN addresses
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:42 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
You could try connecting through a VPN service, though this can be hit or miss as many of the streaming services ban known VPN addresses
10-4!
Smitty
Old 08-26-2023, 09:31 AM   #164

Monaco Owners Club
I have purchased a Netgear Unite explore AC815S from Amazon but after reading a lot of posts now I am wondering if the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 would be a better purchase.

What do others have to say about the difference between the AC815S and the MR1100?

Which one is better?

I will be moving my Mobley SIM card to which ever one is the best.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 09:44 AM   #165

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Fisher View Post
I have purchased a Netgear Unite explore AC815S from Amazon but after reading a lot of posts now I am wondering if the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 would be a better purchase.
In almost every way the Nighthawk is the better broadband device. Here's a page of info from the Mobile Internet Resource website ( best possible source of info on mobile internet). The Unite Explorer is a 2016 model discontinued in 2018 - that was a long time ago in internet years.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gea...unite-explore/

I have my Mobley SIM in a Nighthawk and it's been a great improvement. I moved from a slightly older Unite Explore model and the Nighthawk has been great.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:48 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Fisher View Post

What do others have to say about the difference between the AC815S and the MR1100?

Which one is better?

I will be moving my Mobley SIM card to which ever one is the best.
I have both and the Nighthawk is 100% better. I don't even use the Unite anymore. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 10:41 AM   #167

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks!

I will return the AC815S to Amazon then purchase the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100.

I appreciate the feedback.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 09:02 PM   #168

Be aware there are at least 4 variants of the MR 1100
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote