Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #1

Basic BlueFire question

I'm a tech zero. I have finally managed to get a Bluefire dash made on my dedicated Amazon Fire tablet. I have the Bluefire adapter powered up, and as best I can tell it's connected via Bluetooth to the tablet. However, when I start the coach none of the gauges do anything. They're all dead. In very basic terms can one of you tech Bluefire guru guys tell me a few things to check to see what I have done wrong?

Also, I did notice somewhere that because my setup is about a year old and hasn't been used, some sort of major program upgrade is needed? I guess some major program change was made somewhere aling the line? Could this be the issue? Would this be updated in the tablet or in the adapter?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #2

The first thing I would do is go to the Drive and Repair pages of the app while the engine is running. Then take note of what data is available on those pages, versus which parameters show NA. If there is no data available on this page, it won't show on your dash either. If it shows on these pages, but not on your dash, there is a problem with your dash.

If you are not getting data on those pages, I would go to the settings page and see if you have it set to use J1708 or J1939 data. If you have it set to J1939, switch to J1708, or vice versa. Then check the Drive and Repair pages again.

I would point out that Cummins changed from a J1708 data bus to a J1939 bus in the '04-'05 time frame. My '04 coach has the older J1708 data bus, which has less data available, even though it had the newer 9-pin port.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

To answer your second part, the app developer recently discontinued updates for the BlueFire for Motorhomes app in favor of the newer BlueFire Apps program. This new program is set up for Motorhome users, 18 wheel trucks, and yachts. You make a selection within the app which you want to use.

There is also a firmware update for the adapter as well. The new updated firmware is 3.20.0. When you are connected to the adapter, go to the About page in the app. It will show you the current firmware version on your adapter. Please note that there is no automatic update on the firmware. You need to remove the adapter and connect it to a Windows 10 computer to update the firmware. Not really that difficult if you have a Windows 10 computer and can follow directions.

That said, using the old app and the old firmware would not prevent you from getting readings. Updating both will not magically make your dash start working. You might as well fix the real problem with the app and adapter you have now. Then update the app and the adapter firmware.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

Lastly, if you still have a problem, pay attention to the LED's on the adapter. The color of the LED's and whether they are flashing or solid tells you about the connection status of the adapter. Refer to the Getting Started manual to see what they mean, accessed from within the app.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
The first thing I would do is go to the Drive and Repair pages of the app while the engine is running. Then take note of what data is available on those pages, versus which parameters show NA. If there is no data available on this page, it won't show on your dash either. If it shows on these pages, but not on your dash, there is a problem with your dash.

If you are not getting data on those pages, I would go to the settings page and see if you have it set to use J1708 or J1939 data. If you have it set to J1939, switch to J1708, or vice versa. Then check the Drive and Repair pages again.

I would point out that Cummins changed from a J1708 data bus to a J1939 bus in the '04-'05 time frame. My '04 coach has the older J1708 data bus, which has less data available, even though it had the newer 9-pin port.
I had mine set to J1939. I'm up on jacks now and can't start the engine until I leave tomorrow morning. However I notice in looking at the app that I can check both J1708 and J1939 at the same time, it doesn't require one or the other, I can have both checked off at the same time. Is that legit or should I check off just one or the other?

Also, I do not own a Windows computer. I only use Macs. How would I update the firmware in the adapter??
Old 09-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I had mine set to J1939. I'm up on jacks now and can't start the engine until I leave tomorrow morning. However I notice in looking at the app that I can check both J1708 and J1939 at the same time, it doesn't require one or the other, I can have both checked off at the same time. Is that legit or should I check off just one or the other?

Also, I do not own a Windows computer. I only use Macs. How would I update the firmware in the adapter??
I would just check one or the other. The app text says that the J1708 data checked can interfere with the performance of the J1939 data. I would set one or the other and check for data on the Drive and Repair pages to verify which you actually get.

As for the firmware on the adapter, I would suggest getting a friend with a Windows PC update it for you, or for a $10 fee BlueFire will update it if you send it to them. Check their website. But again, updating the adapter will likely not fix your issue. Mine worked fine with the 3.19 firmware. I would get it working first instead of taking the time to get it updated, then get the firmware updated.

Tags
fire