RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #1

Basic DISH Network questions for new DISH subscriber

I have been a long time DirecTV used (15+ years) at home. The cost has gotten silly, almost $200 a month without internet after discounts that have to renewed each year. Enough is enough. I just signed up with Dish at home and by swiitching to Dish and reducing my programming just a bit, I will save about $100 a month. Once I see that I like Dish Network I'll get Dish on the RV. More on that below. For now I have a few questions about the home system, if some of you experienced Dish Network users can answer.

1- My new Hopper 3 (installation scheduled for Feb. 1st) will go where my Directv genie is now, inside a cabinet with a wood door front. The Directv remotes all penetrate the wood door and work perfectly with the door to the cabinet closed. Will the Dish remote do the same, or will I have to open the cabinet door to operate the Hopper 3?

2- Is there a switchable HDMI input on the back of the Hopper 3? If possible I would like to be able to put the streaming device I sometimes use plugged into the Hopper and switch to it via remote when I want to use it. I can mount it on the back of the TV if necessary and switch to it via the TV but prefer to leave it in the cabinet if able.

3- I'll be getting two Wirelss receivers for two remote TV's that have no coax running to them. The wireless receivers I use now for Directv work flawlessly. Do the Dish wireless units work well? No hiccups?

Now.....switching to the RV. My rig is a 2005 Newmar MOuntain Aire 43' DP. I had always planned on assembling a media center in the RV and not having satellite because of the high cost of roof mounted Directv capable equipment and service, because Directv service is what I had at the time. I've built a simple but operative media center, and have movies stored on it that I can watch without internet service. However, we would like the opportunity to see live programming, but I will not participate in the cell phone/hotspot deal right now. I refuse. Given my refusal to do that, streaming is out of the question until there is a better, more reliable way to get internet in our coach.

Doing a roof mount system for Directv was really exensive, and with the satellite technology on the wane, I didn't want to drop thousands on something that in a few years was no longer usable. However, I just found out from Dish that I can buy a cheap tripod mounted dish for about $300-$400 and add a couple of inexpensive receivers for the main and bedroom TV's, add them to my account for only $7.00 a month each for service, and we're off and running, and even better I only pay for the RV receivers when I am actually using the RV. This all sounds very reasonable.

That said, I have a question (or two) for the guys using portable Dish Network compatible antennas in their RV's.

1- I currrently have a useless dish on my roof. It's outdated (original from 2005, apparently) and neither Dish nor Directv will operate on it. My coach is a 2005, and there is no HDMI run through it, it's all coax, and I don't want to run new HDMI cables. I have a box of many buttons (BOMB) in the front A/V cabinet, with 3 TV's (main, bedroom and outdoor) run into the BOMB through coax cables. The inputs into the BOMB are the useless roof mounted satellite dish and a cable TV line that terminates in the electrical bay down below that works well. My question is, if I get a portable dish on Dish network and put it outside, how do I get the signal into the coach? Can I connect it to the cable line in the bay, and connect it to the BOMB as the "cable TV" input? I'm guessing that once I get the signal from the dish to the BOMB, I can the put the receivers in the bedroom and main A/V cabinets, using the coax from the BOMB to send it to the respective TV areas, then connect the receivers to the TV's via HDMI, which I can do easily at the TV's. So I guess the question is, without rewiring the coach, which I am not willing to do, how do I make all this work easily?

2- Whick Dish do I want to get. I would like the most inexpensive Dish Network portable dish that:
-works well
-supports 2 receivers
-automatically finds the satellites
What dish would you guys recommend? I'll just put it on a tripod outside and run it that way.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
1- I have to open the cabinet door to operate the Hopper 3?

No.

Is there a switchable HDMI input on the back of the Hopper 3?

No.

3- Dish wireless units work well? No hiccups?

I don't know. I only have the Wally 2s that use a wired coax connection. They work well.

If I get a portable dish on Dish network and put it outside, how do I get the signal into the coach? Can I connect it to the cable line in the bay, and connect it to the BOMB as the "cable TV" input?

Whick Dish do I want to get. I would like the most inexpensive Dish Network portable dish that:
-works well
-supports 2 receivers

If you want to move the Hopper between your home and the RV (this is what I do), then you will need a residential style dish on a tripod or the Winegard SK on the roof of the RV. I have the Winegard Trav'ler. There's a second product from a different company that can go on the roof, I forget the details but someone will likely add the thread and share it. The SK will auto acquire the sats. You can have additional TVs connected to Wallys like in your house as well. I don't know if you could move both the Hopper 3 and the Wally 3 to the RV and make no changes to the wireless settings for this to work, I use a wired Wally 2 in both my RV and home and just move them both back and forth with no issues.

The tripod Dish HD triple LNB solution compatible with Hopper is totally manual and IMHO is not user do-able unless you get the same type of test set that Dish installers use. You have to perfectly set 3 different things to get all 3 sats well so it works like your home system. Without the test set IMHO it's close to impossible. The test set is not cheap, ranges from $ 250 used to $ 600 new.

The Dish Playmaker will auto-tune and is used with a Wally single TV receiver. The Playmaker dishes are not compatible with the Hopper 3. However, you can get an external disk drive that plugs into the back of the Wally so that it can work as a basic DVR and record things. I believe you can watch one thing while recording another at the same time but both things have to be on the same sat.

There is a Dish Playmaker Duo that can be used with 1 or 2 Wallys for 2 TVs, but both TVs have to tune to stations that are on the same Sat. So, most flexible would be 2 Playmakers each feeding a separate Wally. The Wally powers the Playmaker and does all the control thru the coax.

The CATV basement connector coax "might" be good enough to work if the coax is a straight run of high quality RG-6 Coax. It would have to be disconnected from the BOMB and go directly to the back of the Wally.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1) no
2) no
3) yes, my experience with wireless Joey has been excellent.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #4

I started out trying to use the Hopper with a tripod-mounted dish. Could NOT get it aligned, so eventually gave up and bought a Playmaker portable dish (with a Wally receiver). Added the external hard disk to give me DVR capability.

It worked. But not great. As mentioned above, it only has one receiver, so you can watch or record one channel at a time or record one while watching a previously recorded show. The Playmaker Duo will allow 2 Wallys but only if on the same satellite.

We decided to bite the bullet and bought a Winegard Trav'ler. Installed it myself in a day. Hardest part was getting it up on the roof.

Now we have full Hopper functionality. With 16 tuners we don't miss anything.

Now... back to the Playmaker/Wally.

We have another place we regularly go for weekends so decided to setup the Playmaker and Wally there. Again, it worked OK but we found it would regularly 'lose' the satellite signals and had to reboot the wally.

I decided to go back to the tripod mounted dish and try again. After a couple of hours of frustration, I figured out I was using the wrong mark on the dish.

Once I set it up correctly, I was up and running in a few minutes.

Bonus: with the full 3-LNB dish connected to the Wally, it magically becomes a 2-tuner setup. Still no Hopper, but way better than the single tuner/single satellite it was before.

So, the tripod-mount dish is NOT impossible to set up (if you use the correct settings). But now we have it, I love the Trav'ler.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

I think the Wingaurd Pathway X2 and Wally receiver is the easiest way to go.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #6

Thanks guys. How do you get the cable from the dish into the coach when you have a Class A like mine that has no factory installed connector as I have seen on some YouTube videos?
Old 01-21-2021, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Doing a roof mount system for Directv was really exensive, and with the satellite technology on the wane, I didn't want to drop thousands on something that in a few years was no longer usable. However, I just found out from Dish that I can buy a cheap tripod mounted dish for about $300-$400 and add a couple of inexpensive receivers for the main and bedroom TV's, add them to my account for only $7.00 a month each for service, and we're off and running, and even better I only pay for the RV receivers when I am actually using the RV. This all sounds very reasonable.

2- Which Dish do I want to get. I would like the most inexpensive Dish Network portable dish that:
-works well
-supports 2 receivers
What dish would you guys recommend? I'll just put it on a tripod outside and run it that way.
Unless you're a "satellite whisperer", aiming a tripod-based 3-LNB dish can be difficult. I've been doing it for a number of years -- with the help of a $700 sat meter.

I suggest getting a Winegard Pathway X2. It's automatic and can support 2 receivers (Wallys).
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Unless you're a "satellite whisperer", aiming a tripod-based 3-LNB dish can be difficult. I've been doing it for a number of years -- with the help of a $700 sat meter.

I suggest getting a Winegard Pathway X2. It's automatic and can support 2 receivers (Wallys).
I'm been leaning toward the Pathway X2. I want no part of manual aiming - I agree with you 100%. Do you have any input as to how guys are getting the cable from a tripod mounted dish into the coach? That's the part of this puzzle that I can really use some help with.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm been leaning toward the Pathway X2. I want no part of manual aiming - I agree with you 100%. Do you have any input as to how guys are getting the cable from a tripod mounted dish into the coach? That's the part of this puzzle that I can really use some help with.
You can try using the existing cable running to your BOMB but it may not be of adequate quality for satellite. Don't try to run it through the BOMB.

If that cable doesn't work, you'll need to run a new RG6 cable.

You can use something like this to get it inside.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
You can try using the existing cable running to your BOMB but it may not be of adequate quality for satellite. Don't try to run it through the BOMB.

If that cable doesn't work, you'll need to run a new RG6 cable.

You can use something like this to get it inside.
Thanks. I guess I can try to use the cable direct to the receiver, and then on the rare occasion I stay at a park with cable, just disconnect it from the satellite receiver and insert it back onto the rear of the BOMB for cable TV use. It's easy to access and will only take a moment. That's assuming of course it's an adequate cable for satellite. Other than just trying to use it, how can I tell if it'll work for satellite? I guess it was a good quality cable back in 2005. They had satellite in 2005, and while anything is possible I doubt that Newmar would use cheap crap, but I guess you never know. Satellite was installed on the roof when new, I would think from a production point of view, they would probably use the same cable on the cable TV and satellite install, so as to not have to have two different types of cable laying around. Is there any way to tell visually if it's the proper type of cable that will work with a portable type saellite dish?
Old 01-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks. I guess I can try to use the cable direct to the receiver, and then on the rare occasion I stay at a park with cable, just disconnect it from the satellite receiver and insert it back onto the rear of the BOMB for cable TV use. It's easy to access and will only take a moment. That's assuming of course it's an adequate cable for satellite. Other than just trying to use it, how can I tell if it'll work for satellite? I guess it was a good quality cable back in 2005. They had satellite in 2005, and while anything is possible I doubt that Newmar would use cheap crap, but I guess you never know. Satellite was installed on the roof when new, I would think from a production point of view, they would probably use the same cable on the cable TV and satellite install, so as to not have to have two different types of cable laying around. Is there any way to tell visually if it's the proper type of cable that will work with a portable type saellite dish?

Look to see if you can see enough of the cable to read the writing on the side. If it's RG6, you should be good. If it's RG59, then it 'might' work.

RG59 was designed for older analog TV signals. RG6 is made to a higher standard specifically for digital TV & satellite connections.

Tags
dish, scr