Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Best gps

I know this topic has probably been covered but have been unable to find specifics through the search feature.
Question what type, model, brand, of GPS system would you recommend for traveling in an RV. My old one has gone to the great beyond and when I went online to start shopping I was amazed at the numbers of GPS systems offered for sale. Almost as many as cars. Trying to narrow my choice down with input from people who have experience and actual use of them who are not salesman!
Thanks in advance for all the help that I know all of you will provide!
I love this place!!!!!!!!!!
opcorn :
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
laj

Garmin 760 dezl. had a rand 710, junk, then got suckered into the 720, junk. love my Garmin absolutely no issues with how I use it. haven't played with the rv760 but what I have read on here and Garmins site haven't seen a need to change but the people that have them seem to be very happy.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got a Garmin RV 760 last October. Really, really like it. Has a suction cup mount which works great on the driver side window. Has lots of great features.
Even tells me when a hill or curve is coming up.
Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, another vote for Garmin 760 dezl lmt. Love mine.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the smaller screen GPS we have a Garmin Nuvi. Works great, easy to use, in the RV as second opinion and in the car on excursions...priced on the higher side of the market.

For the BIG screen we have a Rand McNally RVND 7720. Works very well and has lots of RV specific data and functions. And the RVND is the best price/quality balanced 7" screen GPS I have found.

In our RV there is a GPS in both front seats. We do this to keep the navigator busy, and because different mfgt's mapping systems often use different routes. We use both to cross check each for the best route.

I also suggest picking the model with lifetime map upgrades of any brand...much cheaper at original purchase.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #6

Howdy!

Co-Pilot app for your smartphone or tablet. We fulltime and I been using it for a couple of years and its never steered me wrong. I like using it on my tabet 10.1"screen with the RV and use it on the smartphone in the car.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I definitely like the Garmin models the best. There are also good apps for IPhones/IPads.
townsendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Co-Pilot app on iPad mounted on drivers window.
Better then the laptop Street & Trips on desk beside drivers seat.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #9

Another vote for the Garmin Dezl 760. I use a Ram Cup Holder mount with mine.
Garmin dezl 760LMT Mounts
Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

If you do not need 7" screen of the Garmin RV/Dezl 760. The Garmin 560 Dezl has Truck, RV and Car settings.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For as many times as I've considered spending $3-400 on a GPS device I just can't bring myself to do it. The best bang for the buck is CoPilot Live. It's a free download for your Android or Apple device or your Windows8 phone. It works independent of the internet and can be programmed with the height and width of your RV. The combination of CoPilot Live, Rand McNally's Trucker's Road Atlas, The Next Exit Guide and some common sense will keep you out of trouble and get you anywhere you want to go.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We had the Garmin Nuvi when we only had a 4 wheel vehicle. We got an RV and decided to go with a new one and we were going to go with the Garmin 560 DEZL then they came out the Garmin 760 DEZL and well we went with that one. We've used it in both the RV and the car, both places with the bean bag mount. We've download and installed some POI's from the POI Factory web site like low clearances and VA hospital and clinics.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #13

As a computer geek, also been geocaching from back in the day that GPS's cost $650.00. I think I have purchased 7-10 units. I still always go back to Garmin. RV 760LMT has some great specs. My present RV unit is a trucker model, 5 years old. I maybe interested in upgrading.
The 760LMT bluetooth - hands-free cellphone link, I like
Voice commands could also be cool.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod135455.html
Some reviews knock it do to POI updates, but that is all GPS units.
A GPS is to be an aid, not to live by.

maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #14

Does the Garmin 760 take into consideration the propane you are carrying?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps