Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
Best laptop/internet options 4 me, please.....

I plan to use CG WiFi service when available and WiFi service from local establishments when in the area (McDonald, Lowe's, etc.) However, there will be times of camping in State Parks or boondocking out of WiFi range. In hopes of getting a setup allowing me to use the "Internet-On-The-Go" cards from Wal-Mart. They currently have a never expire 4G card which would fit me as I think that will last me about 3 months of sparingly usage.

Bought a Alfa USB wireless long-range WiFi network adapter with 5dBi Antenna range extension to assist in bringing in WiFi connections. Also, bought a Alpha R36 repeater and range extender (for the adapter above) for multiple users (will have 2 laptops).

My question is..... if I buy a generic 3G/4G usb modem will it work with any air card or are the dongles/sticks specific to a vendor?

Thanks,

Patsy






__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N. Palm Springs CA (in winter)
Posts: 2,420
That is a bit of expensive equipment. When my smart phone is not enough to check e-mails and apps, I use my Verizon wifi Hot Spot for my tablet and lap top.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules View Post
I plan to use CG WiFi service when available and WiFi service from local establishments when in the area (McDonald, Lowe's, etc.) However, there will be times of camping in State Parks or boondocking out of WiFi range. In hopes of getting a setup allowing me to use the "Internet-On-The-Go" cards from Wal-Mart. They currently have a never expire 4G card which would fit me as I think that will last me about 3 months of sparingly usage.

Bought a Alfa USB wireless long-range WiFi network adapter with 5dBi Antenna range extension to assist in bringing in WiFi connections. Also, bought a Alpha R36 repeater and range extender (for the adapter above) for multiple users (will have 2 laptops).

My question is..... if I buy a generic 3G/4G usb modem will it work with any air card or are the dongles/sticks specific to a vendor?

Thanks,

Patsy






In my experience, you will need a specific vendor, and an account with them to use their service. You can't just buy a modem, plug it in and get on line. Would that it would work that way!

I looked at the coverage map for the Internet on the Go you cited and it doesn't look that good to me. You might want to check coverage.

T-Mobile sells through Walmart and others, a usb modem, and I think it's like $35 for 3 gig of service or 3 months, whichever comes first.

You might want to compare coverage and costs between the 2.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
I wanted the booster to pull in WiFi connections that may be a little further than the usual range and the router was needed as I am traveling with someone using her own laptop. Both pieces of equipment cost about $84 together.

Don't have a smart phone and don't intend on getting one as my talk/text works fine.

Am interesting in a USB modem that can be used with some prepaid card as I don't want a contract.

Patsy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
That is a bit of expensive equipment. When my smart phone is not enough to check e-mails and apps, I use my Verizon wifi Hot Spot for my tablet and lap top.
__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
powerboatr's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 4,755
i recently upgraded from an old dumb phone to a samsung galaxy s III, with verizon, if i cant ge twhat i need using it, i will turn on the hotspot and use the laptop this summer.
hopefully it will do the trick
still learning the new phone and its quirks
__________________
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: North East Indiana
Posts: 1,995
Be very careful with the Alfa USB wireless signal booster antenna. I had their tech install one on my laptop, now I cannot get a wifi signal of any kind on that laptop even after removing the alfa USB antennal. They admit they have had a lot of problems.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Stevegd007's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego County, California
Posts: 834
I would look at, if your so far off the track, that no CG wifi is available all at the stuff your talking about may not work as not much as maybe would be very poor service available. Instead invest in a good Smartphone. My Apple 4 does most every thing. For those CG with really bad wifi I invested in a wifi boster antenna with a in RV repeater. This can pull in weak wifi and things work OK except for streaming video. Some times it is just good to be off the grid...remember those days?
__________________
Steve & Leslie
Forest River 2018 Forester 3011DS
Honda 2010 CR-V AWD "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i recently upgraded from an old dumb phone to a samsung galaxy s III, with verizon, if i cant ge twhat i need using it, i will turn on the hotspot and use the laptop this summer.
hopefully it will do the trick
Have had this verizon setup for years. Works great even with multiple laptops.

-mick
gday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
See why I love this board.... I returned the Alfa equipment after it arrived. Now I am back to square 1.......


Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
Be very careful with the Alfa USB wireless signal booster antenna. I had their tech install one on my laptop, now I cannot get a wifi signal of any kind on that laptop even after removing the alfa USB antennal. They admit they have had a lot of problems.


I don't want to upgrade from the ole text/talk (Verizon) to a smartphone as I have family members in my plan and it's just easier (and more economical) to keep the phones as they are. Did find T-Mobile with a USB stick affordable and they have aircards at Wal-Mart with a 60 day expiry card for 3.5 GB. Looked at the coverage area for T-Mobile and it doesn't look too good for the Southwest USA. Howver, something is better than nothing at this point. Still trying to figure out what I can afford......


Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr;
i recently upgraded from an old dumb phone to a samsung galaxy s III, with verizon, if i cant ge twhat i need using it, i will turn on the hotspot and use the laptop this summer. hopefully it will do the trick still learning the new phone and its quirks


Patsy
__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.