Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Best left alone?

We own 1 2014 Thor Ace 30.1 we still have to original tvs. To say cheap ones. Wanting to up grade living room and bed room. Any advise? We only use antenna and cable hookups, at times use Roku if wifi is strong enough, no satellite yet. We are just tired of getting some where spending to much time scanning and rotating antenna ect. Them again we don't do a lot of raving, maybe 5 times a year. Is satellite worth the money and east to use?
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #2

Depends on what you mean by worth the time and money. I like to watch sports. My wife likes our local network channels. For $600 (about) you can get a Pathway X2 Dish network receiver and a Wally tuner. It does not get any simpler. You place the ball on the ground in a spot that has a clear view of where the satellites are in the sky. It spins around and finds them in 5 or 10 minutes and you are ready to watch whatever. I think the basic traveler pay by the month package is $99/month and you can get all channels for $150/mo. You can stop service by just not paying the bill when it comes up and waiting till you on your next trip.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
tcg

Depends what kind of TV watching you enjoy.

I put all of our DVDs on a portable USB drive and just plug it into the TV. I have hours and hours of all my favorite TV shows and movies. My daughter now has easy gifts to buy me. She just gets me complete seasons or even entire series on DVD and then I just rip them to mp4s that most, if not all TVs made in the last several years will play.

It's very easy to rip DVDs that you own.

If there is breaking news or some special show I don't want to miss I just play it on my phone and display it on the TV. You need a smart TV for that.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I'll go with best left alone if you are satisfied with the picture quality. You don't need new TVs to receive satellite. And your current TVs will work with a Roku type device,

I'd also suggest that if you want to spend a few dollars then upgrade the antenna to a Winegard Sensor IV antenna then maybe decide if you want to upgrade the TVs.
think it is worth it since you only use the RV occasionally.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I'll go with best left alone if you are satisfied with the picture quality. You don't need new TVs to receive satellite. And your current TVs will work with a Roku type device,

I'd also suggest that if you want to spend a few dollars then upgrade the antenna to a Winegard Sensor IV antenna then maybe decide if you want to upgrade the TVs.
think it is worth it since you only use the RV occasionally.
I agree with this. Finding a TV to replace the existing is tough by itself. People do it but I have not seen very many conversions that looked good.

I used satellite on ours for many years but let it go because of the monthly service cost. Mine was a dish set on a tripod which was fairly easy to set up. Had to fight with trees a few times but there was never a time that I couldn't find a hole through them to get the signal.

We now use three things, the Roku, a thumbdrive, and the antenna. The Roku is easy if internet service is available. It's probably the least reliable of the three, especially if you have to rely on a campground's internet service or the hotspot on your phone.

The thumbdrive can be loaded with stuff to watch. It's easy if you have Netflix (they tell you how) and I'm guessing that other services may work similarly. I think I've even downloaded from you-tube as well.

Important: Our old TV does not support hdmi. Our new Roku device has only hdmi. I had to buy an inline converter to get them to work with each other. I bought one from Amazon that was cheap and actually works well. Keep this in mind if you go the satellite route as I'm not sure what the connectivity situation is on the newer boxes.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #6

Mudfrog, I have to say you having a tV with no hdmi makes me feel good that maybe our tvs all have hdmi, so maybe I should just roll with what I got. Thanks to all
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote