Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2023, 06:25 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Best TV for RV life?

One of our wall mounted TVs cracked after a rough day on the road. Iím looking at a Samsung LED as a replacement. I wonder if some TV technology might be sturdier than others?
CaptVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2023, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 1,271
The Samsung frame tvs are great. A lot sturdier than other models and they fit flush with the wall using special wall mounts that have magnets. It also has just 1 cable from the TV to a box with all the hdmi ports and power so you can run that into a cabinet. We had a 55 in our old bouncy RV and it worked great. We had 2 other tvs previously and every bounce they'd have marks on the screen like they were about to crack. My new RV came with 6 Samsung tvs professionally mounted and they work well so might be Samsung is just more stable. Also look into commercial Samsung signage I have 8 of these in my office and they are super thick

Plus it has photos on the screen when it's turned off and has motion sensing to go black when no ones around.
__________________
"Shorty" 2008 Prevost XL2 40ft, Detroit S60, 20K genset,dual 5k Victron Quattros, 20Kw LiPO,1800w solar and just getting started
Captain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Psneeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Ft Pierce, Fl
Posts: 1,140
If smaller than 48 inches I am not sure it matters as a lot of them from all brands are out there and they seem to survive just fine. My Insignias have been flawless over 50000 miles in 2 RVs and even my boat. Maybe there are brands to stay away from, but I haven't read consistent complaints of any.

I have mounted a couple, and a few have come installed...again no issues as long as they are secure to whatever they are fastened to.

I can't comment on large screens or TVs, But I could see screen issues or mount issue only getting worse as you go up in size... then again.... 'm no expert as either a user or engineer.
__________________
Retired USCG Helo Pilot, Retired USCG Lic. Captain
2022 Entegra Vision 29s, 2021 Ford Ranger toad
Ft Pierce, Fl
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:10 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 23,117
Another Samsung fan and readily available at Costco.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
153stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Braidwood Il.
Posts: 8,201
LG are great TVs . The interface is a little different for smart features and. streaming services. Once you get it down no problem.
__________________
95 Monaco Crown Royale
M11 400hp, 4060 trans.
Aquahot, Generac Guardian7.5k
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rob_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
LG are great TVs . The interface is a little different for smart features and. streaming services. Once you get it down no problem.

Our LG was replaced with a Samsung because of app compatibility.
__________________
2002 American Tradition 40'
Cummins 8.3, Banks 431hp, 1260 tq
Canyon Lake, TX
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 8
depends on your criteria for "best"

also, depends on the size you are looking for.

first I would say start here https://www.rtings.com/tv/latest
they do independent testing (buy their own tvs)

a few notes w/o knowing more of what you are looking for:

- I would avoid samsung low end tvs. They outsource their panels, and so quality is hit or miss. It is really a lottery what you might end up getting. The high end samsung QD-OLED has a panel manufactured by samsung.

- the best (in terms of picture quality) small tv (42 or 48 inch size) is LG C2 OLED. Nothing else will compare in image quality at this size. LG manufacturers their own OLED panels. Alternative option would be the Sony 42 or 48 inch OLED (same panel as LG, but uses android OS). Samsung does not have a small QD-OLED tv yet (their smallest is 55 inches).

- Also note that a downside to OLED is they do not perform as well as LED in brightly lit rooms. LED panels can get much brighter, and can combat daylight. So you kind of have to pick your poison LED get brighter but sacrifices image quality and black level/contrast vs OLED. If you decide to go LED, I would only consider the high end Samsung QLED models (rtings gives some suggestions)

- I would not let a tvs Os turn you off to a purchase decision. Because you can simply get an apple tv box, or chromecast with google tv. A lot of the low end/budget models have bare minimum specs and the OS can run slow, sluggish.

- if you have a costco membership, consider buying from there. their selection is limited, but I believe if you buy with a costco credit card you get an additional 3 year extended warranty. From past research, costco slightly alters the model numbers (so they don't have to price match).
mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
computerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: FT on the Road
Posts: 3,735
I go to Walmart and but the cheapest thing available. Itís fine for me. Replaced it 5 years ago and it is still going strong. I think it was like $130.
__________________
I don't subscribe to threads I reply to so will not see your reply to my comment. Drop me a direct message if you want a reply from me.
Cheers!
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
rffowler55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: North Georgia Mountains
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I go to Walmart and but the cheapest thing available. Itís fine for me. Replaced it 5 years ago and it is still going strong. I think it was like $130.
I do the same, paid $105 2 months ago for a 32" 1080P Hisense and it has a great picture for the price and it is the lightest TV I have ever handled, < 10lbs.
__________________
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:15 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptVideo View Post
One of our wall mounted TVs cracked after a rough day on the road. Iím looking at a Samsung LED as a replacement. I wonder if some TV technology might be sturdier than others?
If 42 and under I would go with the Sony Bravia XR. I am actually in the process of finding an open box at best buy to hang above the dash.
__________________
Doug and Renee Tallman
2014 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2018 Chevy High Country
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,725
If you want real testing reviews of TV's I don't think you can beat https://www.rtings.com/tv

Unfortunately they don't consider RV specific issues. I swore off all Samsung products. First because of mediocre quality. Secondly because they are determined to use their own operating system. Meaning when Netflix or whoever updates their app they will be behind on that. Also they will happily abandon their older tech and just not update it. I've tossed a perfectly working TV and bluray player of theirs because of that. Vizio does the same thing. I haven't chucked that TV yet, it's in the kids room.

We have a TCL in our coach. Value for the dollar is good, uses Roku for apps. Problem is the tuner for antenna use sucks. Terrible. We have a fairly ancient small LG LED TV in the bedroom on the same antenna and it picks up just every darn thing. Although the TCL is a $110 Black Friday special we have a higher end TCL 4K as the main TV in the house and it barely picks up stations too.

For my birthday I got a big 4K Hisense (that I picked out) for my man cave garage. Very pleased with it, it's reception, and Roku. I would have preferred a Hisense that used Android TV but one wasn't available at the right time and within their budget. Some Sonys use Android TV.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:10 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Manhattan (Little Apple) Kansas
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobley View Post
depends on your criteria for "best"

also, depends on the size you are looking for.

first I would say start here https://www.rtings.com/tv/latest
they do independent testing (buy their own tvs)

a few notes w/o knowing more of what you are looking for:

- I would avoid samsung low end tvs. They outsource their panels, and so quality is hit or miss. It is really a lottery what you might end up getting. The high end samsung QD-OLED has a panel manufactured by samsung.

- the best (in terms of picture quality) small tv (42 or 48 inch size) is LG C2 OLED. Nothing else will compare in image quality at this size. LG manufacturers their own OLED panels. Alternative option would be the Sony 42 or 48 inch OLED (same panel as LG, but uses android OS). Samsung does not have a small QD-OLED tv yet (their smallest is 55 inches).

- Also note that a downside to OLED is they do not perform as well as LED in brightly lit rooms. LED panels can get much brighter, and can combat daylight. So you kind of have to pick your poison LED get brighter but sacrifices image quality and black level/contrast vs OLED. If you decide to go LED, I would only consider the high end Samsung QLED models (rtings gives some suggestions)

- I would not let a tvs Os turn you off to a purchase decision. Because you can simply get an apple tv box, or chromecast with google tv. A lot of the low end/budget models have bare minimum specs and the OS can run slow, sluggish.

- if you have a costco membership, consider buying from there. their selection is limited, but I believe if you buy with a costco credit card you get an additional 3 year extended warranty. From past research, costco slightly alters the model numbers (so they don't have to price match).
I was on the fence about buying the TV in bold and when the price dropped to 899.00 I jumped on the deal. You are correct it has a great picture. Thanks for the review.
__________________
2017 Newmar LE 4037 - 2020 Jeep Rubicon
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV Life Trip Wizard and RV LIFE App updates you may have missed Sue46 RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics 0 10-12-2022 04:58 PM
Life / Life Span of a VGT Turbo Jimbob1058 Cummins Engines 9 10-02-2022 05:15 PM
RV Life (Gypsy Life) WillHaze86 New Member Check-In 3 07-20-2021 08:33 PM
From Island life to TT life Np206 New Member Check-In 4 10-31-2017 07:45 PM
A diet to save your life and change your life.... Scooter Just Conversation 14 02-09-2012 09:56 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.