Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We have used both AT&T and Sprint, for us overall AT&T worked in more places than Sprint, though that may have changed since the merger with TMobile. When in an area with lots of users both slowed to a crawl (like various gatherings in the desert southwest last winter).
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

I just looked at my FMCA Sprint hotspot, I’ve use 270gbs so for and have seven days left on this billing cycle. We stream ATT TV Now, Netflix, Amazon Prime. We have not been throttled back using the Sprint hotspot. I tried the FMCA Verizon hotspot they offered. It was worthless after 25mgs. The speeds were throttled back so much you could even open a e-mail. I ended up buying out the contract on it. This one from FMCA with Sprint hotspot there is no contract so if you don’t like it you can cancel it, it’s month to month. I don’t know how well it works traveling yet. We are fulltimers and haven’t moved since we got the Sprint hotspot a couple of months ago. We cut the cord with satellite over three years ago. We have been streaming everything since using AT&T unlimited phones and tablets, we also have a unlimited hotspot with Verizon and now unlimited hotspot with Sprint.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Wow. I'll have to switch when our 2 yr contract expires with FMCA Verizon. Thanks for the heads up!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #17
GLK

How did you get a hot spot I tried going through FMCA but when I got to Verizon there was no link for the device.
GLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been playing around with a few options, since i do not travel that much other than 8-10 trips a year if that.... and really want good coverage at a property i own... my quest was on..

Had verizon jets packs for 3 years and they are ok, some places great, contry property..hit mis..and only have 20gig then zip, had pantech modems prior..

Got visible 16 months ago, happy for most part, i can use it in a way no limits, it is somedays better than jet pack or vice version..

A cell tower map, has sprint towers all around be, so I just got MINT and a Mikrotik LTE/Router .. only have 24 hours on it, but streaming, 2 of us playing around,, way better and $30 a month for almost unlimited, we shall see how my router does .. as with visible, ican run cappless ... so far mint too...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLK View Post
How did you get a hot spot I tried going through FMCA but when I got to Verizon there was no link for the device.
Howdy!

I don’t recommend the FMCA Verizon hotspot. Once you reach 25mg you are throttled to whee it is unusable. I have the FMCA Sprint hotshot now. I’ve used over 300mb this month without any problems. If you go to the FMCA website, look under membership and then Benifits you will see the like to Verizon and Sprint. The link below takes you to the Sprint. I had problem signing up online and had to contact FMCA membership to get it strengthened out. Once that was solved I received my Sprint 8000 hotspot in a couple of days.

https://www.fmca.com/index.php?optio...layout=already

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anybody know if you have the FMCA Sprint plan can you also use T-Mobile towers without using your roaming MBs. Or are you limited to just using Sprint towers.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:17 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Anybody know if you have the FMCA Sprint plan can you also use T-Mobile towers without using your roaming MBs. Or are you limited to just using Sprint towers.
they are same now aret they...
Old 09-26-2020, 05:24 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Watching. Also wondering if you have to use their hotspot or can the sim be moved.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #23

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
I second the suggestion to go to this site & read what they have to say.

There are a number of solutions available. What you choose/use will depend on your wallet & what you believe you need.

Acceptable internet access in an RV comes with various compromises.

My research let me to Peplink cellular modems. These are commercial grade products at varying price points. They also require cellular data plans. I use a combination of Verizon & AT&T plans.

Keep in mind, this is my subjective opinion after several months of trial & error.
Same here. I’ve become a bit more of an expert in data plans and cell modems, but it works. The Peplink allows me to manage a number of devices all in one place and also use campground WIFI to ease total data usage on the cell plan(s).

But a mifi is cheap abs simple if that’s all ya need go for it. If you need to be serious about work access maybe something a little more robust might do. I do have a coworker that uses hotspots and juggles them around successfully.
Jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #24

I acquired my Peplink unit in May of this year. Device was shipped same day I ordered it. Now they are back ordered almost everywhere.
The folks selling the GUDP's (that's a slippery slope) have jacked up the prices on the data plans, if they have them. Other providers have the plans wait listed.
If you go down the path of Peplink, Cradelpoint or other commercial grade cellular routers, make sure you can get a data plan that will support it & be prepared to pay market price.
With all the folks working from home & virtual classrooms, the demand has gone sky high (think rural areas with substandard access).
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #25

There's plenty of Peplink routers on Amazon that's ready to be shipped out. Which model are you referring to?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #26

Max Transit LTEA CAT 18.

I just checked Amazon. I did not see the stand alone CAT 18 device there.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #27

There's lots for sale there, but maybe not the cat 18.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a peplink in cart LOL but wife said i need to save som fun money LOL

Will full on test Mikrotik with 2 sims this weeeknd.. traveling..

On a side note I grabbed a Samsung A20s,, like a dummy it is a US LTE and International

I may return.. but have it loaded with a Mint Sim (tmobile) and a Visible (verizon)

Working like a dream, Mint is spotty here in town , visible is 80+dl .. gonna use this test for regular calling, teting and then tether to router and also place the two sims in my Mikrotik while on the road..East coast adventure. NY/NJ/MD/PA

Tags
motor, motorhome, travel, wifi