RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #1

Best WiFi hotspot and data plan for Motorhome travel

We have a class A gas Motorhome and we want to know what the best WiFi hotspot device is (And service provider) and data plan. My wife wants to be able to work on her computer from the road using a lot of emails, and some Microsoft Teams meetings, occasionally with video. I have read options online and it is all a little confusing to me. I would love to hear from those who have first hand experience but am happy to hear any well intentioned advice.
Thank you!
Eric and Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are members of FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association). They have a deal with Verizon and also with AT&T. It's $50/mo for unlimited data. When I went to the Verizon store to pick up my Wi-Fi hot spot the store manager said that was the cheapest deal he had ever seen!!! He wanted to know how I got it!!

I went with the Verizon deal because we have Verizon phones too. It works great. Never had a problem. The only thing is, you can't use it for watching TV. At least not for long. At 25 gigs of usage they throttle the speed back to where you can't stream TV programs. But your computers and iPads will work just fine on the internet all month long.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #3

Howdy!

We also use FMCA hotspot. We tried the Verizon but as stated it’s worthless after 25gbs. We now have the FMCA Sprint hotspot which is unlimited for the same price of $49.99 a month. I’ve used it to stream all our TV we watch ATT TV Now, Netflix’s and Amazon Prime. We used well over 100gbs a month and problems doing so. Also Sprint hotspot is not on a contract but month to month so if you don’t like it you can cancel unlike the Verzon FMCA offers.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:43 AM   #4

Do you get good coverage with the Sprint/T-Mobile Hotspot device?
Eric and Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #5

Check out this site https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

I'd go with Verizon if I had to start over. Everywhere I've traveled they have more towers and better service. My second choice would be AT&T, then T-Mobile and Sprint.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #7

We have had good service from our ATT hotspot. It seems to work anywhere our cell phones work (which is almost everywhere). Many unlimited plans don't work for hotspots so we have a xx gig/month plan with rollover. It has always been enough for us, but if you go over you still have service. They sell you extra by the xx/month units.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:10 AM   #8

Verizon has the best coverage. You can either buy a MIFI device or simply turn on your cell phone hotspot. Both will work equally well. Just remember there will be some places that even cell phone service may be non existant.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I second the suggestion to go to this site & read what they have to say.

There are a number of solutions available. What you choose/use will depend on your wallet & what you believe you need.

Acceptable internet access in an RV comes with various compromises.

My research let me to Peplink cellular modems. These are commercial grade products at varying price points. They also require cellular data plans. I use a combination of Verizon & AT&T plans.

Keep in mind, this is my subjective opinion after several months of trial & error.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to get a cell phone booster as well, to have service in some areas. Even with the Wilson WweBoost, we find areas that we get little to no cell signal and the MiFi signal can be pretty weak at times.

Ken
Old 09-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
We are members of FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association). They have a deal with Verizon and also with AT&T. It's $50/mo for unlimited data. When I went to the Verizon store to pick up my Wi-Fi hot spot the store manager said that was the cheapest deal he had ever seen!!! He wanted to know how I got it!!

I went with the Verizon deal because we have Verizon phones too. It works great. Never had a problem. The only thing is, you can't use it for watching TV. At least not for long. At 25 gigs of usage they throttle the speed back to where you can't stream TV programs. But your computers and iPads will work just fine on the internet all month long.
What is the normal speed before throttling? Have you checked the speed when it is throttled back? Is that $50 total or plus fees, etc?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What is the normal speed before throttling? Have you checked the speed when it is throttled back? Is that $50 total or plus fees, etc?
I'm not sure what the speed is but at the first of the cycle you can stream Netflix with no problem.. but once it hits the 25 gig limit and they throttle it back the TV sits there buffering every 10 seconds so the TV isn't useful any more. One thing we've figured out is my wife will download several episodes of shows we like on her iPad when we are around some wi-fi we can use, then we play the TV programs off her iPad through a cable that attaches to the TV. Doing it that way doesn't use nearly as much data and works just fine for us. It's not perfect and if I understood all this new technology better I'm sure there's a better way to do this. I was just trying to avoid having a separate satelite bill for the RV every month because we don't travel very often. We work too much.

BTW........The $50/month is a flat fee.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

We also use FMCA hotspot. We tried the Verizon but as stated it’s worthless after 25gbs. We now have the FMCA Sprint hotspot which is unlimited for the same price of $49.99 a month. I’ve used it to stream all our TV we watch ATT TV Now, Netflix’s and Amazon Prime. We used well over 100gbs a month and problems doing so. Also Sprint hotspot is not on a contract but month to month so if you don’t like it you can cancel unlike the Verzon FMCA offers.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Are you saying the FMCA hot spot deal with Sprint DOESN'T throttle the data back at any point??? Wow! That would have been good to know up front before buying the FMCA Verizon deal.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
Are you saying the FMCA hot spot deal with Sprint DOESN'T throttle the data back at any point??? Wow! That would have been good to know up front before buying the FMCA Verizon deal.
Howdy!

I just looked at my FMCA Sprint hotspot, I’ve use 270gbs so for and have seven days left on this billing cycle. We stream ATT TV Now, Netflix, Amazon Prime. We have not been throttled back using the Sprint hotspot. I tried the FMCA Verizon hotspot they offered. It was worthless after 25mgs. The speeds were throttled back so much you could even open a e-mail. I ended up buying out the contract on it. This one from FMCA with Sprint hotspot there is no contract so if you don’t like it you can cancel it, it’s month to month. I don’t know how well it works traveling yet. We are fulltimers and haven’t moved since we got the Sprint hotspot a couple of months ago. We cut the cord with satellite over three years ago. We have been streaming everything since using AT&T unlimited phones and tablets, we also have a unlimited hotspot with Verizon and now unlimited hotspot with Sprint.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, travel, wifi