Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Beware Dish Network RV offering....

I have had Dish network for over 10 years. I am very happy with them. I just installed a Windguard SK-1000 (3 LNB with HD) on our rig. It works just great.

We have two Dish receivers at home. One for the living room, one for the bedroom. Both DVR's. I put our bedroom DVR in the rig and we traveled a 1,000 miles to MN from TN last week.

I called dish to see if I could get the local channels in MN on my receiver in the rig. They were VERY happy to tell me that they had a special RV support section that could help me out faster.

Well, I talked to the first rep and she told me that I had to fax within 30 days a vehicle registration for my RV. And, that she would charge me an extra $5 a month for the use of the reciever in my RV and that the reciever would then "belong" to the RV.

I poliltely told her that I did not have the registration with me. It was a 1,000 miles away. She indicated that it was my problem but that she still needed it within 30 days. I asked if I could speak with her supervisor and she told me that anyone that I talked to was her peer. After 20 minutes of negotiation she told me that there was someone a "little bit" higher. I was on hold a few minutes and then talked to her supervisor. He told me that if I had an insurance card, that it could be used in lew of a registration. He then asked "when can you fax me the insurance card?", when will you be home to send me a copy of your registration?

Does Gestopo come to mind? I have been paying for this service for over 10 years. Why do they care if I watch it at home? in the bath tub? on the balcony? In the RV?

They also informed me that I cannot get local channels on the road, but they will have a distant RV service soon that will allow me to watch channels from New York or California. (yup, just want I want to do)

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #2

Ok, I just bought my receiver last week and I am very happy with it. Why would you bash the RV deal when you do not have it. The receiver cost 139.00 at camping world and it cost 34.95 includes all taxes and fees period for the basic 70 channels per month (30 days0 no cut off or start up fee. When you buy the service (takes 2 min on the phone) it will run for 30 days and then turn off if you do not renew. NO COST to restart. Just another 34.95 for another 30 days. It can be every month, every other month or when ever you want it.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Patmsp.. to get your local stations just use your over the air antenna, they'll be in high def. and doesn't cost a thing.

ps. ArmyEOD... I ordered my receiver this morning...
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You missed the point.

I called them about local channels. They said they couldn't provide them. Fine.

But.... they told me that since I put my receiver in the RV that they wanted an extra $5 per month.

Granted low, but why do they care where I watch it? Someday... maybe $2.00 from the hot tub, $3.00 from the deck?

Why do they need my insurance card? RV registration?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As for armyeod... fine, it may be a good deal for you....

But, if you didn't notice... I have been there customer for 10 years. I moved my receiver from the house to the RV. Why should I pay more for the service now?

You signed up for it the first time. It is a good deal for you.

If you buy a house and move your dish box into the house, do you think you have to give them more money if you're not sitting inside in your RV. Instead you're watching TV 10 feet from the RV?

Please respond, I'm interested to hear it.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'd like to make a clear point. I was NOT trying to bash Dish network. I like them and love their service. But, I told them I moved my reciever and they told me "Well, let me tell you how many hoops you have to jump through now and how much it will cost you."

My advice is don't call them, don't say ANYTHING. Just move your receiver anywhere and don't tell them anything.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
I'd like to make a clear point. I was NOT trying to bash Dish network. I like them and love their service. But, I told them I moved my reciever and they told me "Well, let me tell you how many hoops you have to jump through now and how much it will cost you."

My advice is don't call them, don't say ANYTHING. Just move your receiver anywhere and don't tell them anything.
I'm with you, why should they care WHERE you use the receiver.
Army George, Were you two talkin' about the same thing? Didn't sound like it from this end.
Pat, I'm glad you like Dish. I had them for 10 years and finally switched to DirecTV. Don't know if they're any better than Dish but Dish had me so PO'd with their lack of service, I took a vote,.. and WALKED AWAY!
If you are OK with them over anything else, you did the right thing.
Larry K. (michigancamper)
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post

I went through that type situation with Amex. Used it for many many years in my business. It's not a credit card but a charge card. Your bill comes in and no matter what it is expected to be paid IN FULL. One day I decide to get a personal card. I forget why. They said over the phone they would send me an application. I told them "you either send me a card without ANY application because of my perfect business record or you can take this card and shove it" They sent the card. Obviously I have no power over them but at least I kept my dignity.

It's absolutely absurd for past performance to be ignored by a business. It's an INSULT.

The other problem exists everywhere. The people you get stuck talking to only care about their check on Friday.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
This is why we've had Directv over 15 years. No issues, it's $5 a month for the RV and we get our local channels....all in HD.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #10

I agree that you should be able to use the receiver in the home and in the r.v. As long as you pay the monthly fee. You should not have to have a service for the home and a service for the r.v., dish has just jumped on the band wagon with rvers to make more money. If they want to charge you the 5.00 ask them to remove the other(home) receiver charge and then this would be acceptable.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
This is why we've had Directv over 15 years. No issues, it's $5 a month for the RV and we get our local channels....all in HD.
The OP was talking about paying $5 for the RV with Dish, and you're saying it's only $5 with DirecTV? I wouldn't use that as an argument for one service over the other again

Locals for most areas are on spot beams (200 miles +/-) with either service, so you're not going to get them beyond the area of the spot beam.

To the OP - I've never had Dish ask for more money to have a receiver in the RV. I bought the receiver and keep it in the RV. I pay for the service to another receiver, but that's it. I have four receivers in the house and one in the RV. I used to move one to the RV when we travel, but decided to get a dedicated dual tuner receiver for the RV so my wife can watch her stuff and I can watch mine. It's nice having one receiver feeding two TVs. I don't think DirecTV has any receivers that will feed two TVs on different channels yet. DirecTV also does not allow you to buy a receiver. They're always leased.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #12

Why would you even tell them you are putting the receiver in the RV? As long as you pay your bill, what's the difference where you watch TV. Granted you probably will not get your local home channels w/o an upcharge, but are they that important? I have been watching Sat TV in my motorhome for over 10 years now, no problems at all and no $5.00 add on fee. I like to watch the local channels of where I am and do so over the air antenna just fine.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Have to use Dish Network, my daughter works there, but she is not one of the unhelpful employees- she was taught better at home. No matter how upset and frustrated a customer gets, whether rightly or wrongly, she treats them with respect.

Will find out next month when we start the process.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Patmsp... I agree that whom ever you talked to was a total idiot! You're already paying for that receiver and you're right... makes no difference where it's located. This is part of the problem with corporate America.. they hire people that are afraid to think for themselves.. couldn't make a decision if their life depended on it.

Except of course for Glassalley52's daughter... which was not on here when I started my reply
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote