Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Blackberry users

I'm looking for feedback from Blackberry users.

I'm considering switching to Blackberry when my "New Every 2" is applicable in August.

I will stay with Verizon, so iPhone users need not apply.

None of the other Verizon smart phones interest me either.

I have a Palm Treo 700p which is OK as the calender and contact list work well, but it reboots on it's own from time to time. It also loses contact with my Bluetooth headset regularly.

My Treo was recently replaced under warranty because of the rebooting issue and the new one is much better than the old one, but it's an annoying issue as is the Bluetooth issue.

One of the features of the Blackberry and the Treo is the ability to sync the phone with the desktop applications, which is important.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dirk,

I have switched phones a lot, as I have not really been able to find one I really like. Instead of the new every two, I usually buy my phones unlocked off eBay, and with Verizon you can activate that phone to your existing account online. then I would eBay the old phone. I usually ended up with a phone I still didn't like all that much, and a little bit lighter wallet.

Last September I got a Blackberry Storm, and it is the best phone I have ever had. I'm still working, and I work in the field so being able to get my work email is great, but I also like being able to get my personal emails without having to go online.

While it is the best phone I've ever had, it is not perfect. I never have any issues whatsoever with Bluetooth, but I did have a rebooting issue, but they came out with a new software revision that seems to have fixed the reboots. One thing I've noticed since the new software, is sometimes it will seem to lock up, and I have to power down and back on, but that hasn't happened often enough to be what I would consider a real problem.

All in all, I'd say I'm done switching phones...I really don't see anything out there that could compete with this Blackberry Storm at this time. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dirk, I have the Blackberry Pearl....although I would rather have a different model, ie, storm, bold or curve. The reason I got the Pearl is because of its size to carry in my pocket which is nice but just a bit to small for other functions. I have had mine for over a year with no problems at all. I love the feature called suretype which finishes most all of the words typed. It also has a memory of the words, names etc that you use most frequent and stores them in memory. I have my email setup for my company address and can use their blackberry address as well that comes with it. I am not too technical but I am sure there are a lot of other things that you will find nice about them.
Oh yeah...it also has a media card that inserts in.
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
one thing I forgot!! If you do get a blackberry....and I do not know if all are like this, I am sure they are...but these phones are like mini computors, so you have to keep things cleaned (cookies and memory) or else it will lock up. When it happened to me, I had to call in to Alltel and they told me how to use memory cleaning.
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We got Storms back in March. My wife has had one for a couple years and keeps almost everything on it. I resisted because all I have ever had is a regular cell phone. Now that I have one, I appreciate having email handy and some basic web browsing ability. We have only a few lockups and the battery seems to last pretty well. The other thing I like that I did not think I would is the camera and the ability to keep pictures on it. We have been very happy with the Storm and with Verizon. We came over from Sprint and do not miss their poor customer service one bit.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have the Storm with Verizon. After the software update it is a lot better. I am generally happy with it, although lately it goes into a kind of hibernation every once in awhile, making it slow to answer a call.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #7

I have the Blackberry 8830 Global. Works great, long battery time, good for email, web broser, has a map program and with google maps, almost as good as a gps. We travel a lot to overseas countries have had no problems there. Just don't load too many programs into it so you don't run out of memory.

Stan
Retired USN
stan77399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have a Storm, on my second one. The first one was sent back due to half of the keyboard disapearing. Mine is slower than I expected, I would not get another one, rather go back to my LG phone. Just my 2 cents.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #9

I have a Blackberry 8830 World Ediiton runningonthe Verizon network. I libe in Tampa Fl but work in Yuma AZ and do a significant amount of travel for my job in and out of Yuma (Nation wide). I do not travel with my laptop as my Blackberry serves me very well.

I get my business and personal email, I can surf the net and all of my contact info is easy to access.

I have thought about a new iPhone - but the Verizon netowrk is the only network I will use.

I love my Blackberry!
TheKO is offline   Reply With Quote