Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #547

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Rich. I'll do some sizing with an old gen 2 iPad I have lying around. Unfortunately, it won't work for this application.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2022, 03:56 PM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
So Jim, you have a 6 pin plug and use the 6 to 9 adapter? I figured I am in the transitional year and only yesterday did I locate and identify the plug and found it to be a 9 pin.
No, my coach has the 9-pin data port, but only J1708 data on it. According to a mechanic, the rear data port has some limited J1939 data, but not the front port. I have not tested the BlueFire adapter on the rear port temporarily to test that out. (Not really an option for normal use anyway if it does.)
Old 04-24-2022, 03:50 PM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
Which iPad? Should I get one with both WiFi and cellular service? How much memory? Is it easier to set up the dash on a PC with a keyboard and transfer it to the iPad or just use the iPad to download the app and do the dash build on it?
I have been using a gen 1 iPad pro (2015) wifi only in my Tiffin. If you want gps you need a cellular model, there is no gps in wifi only iPad. I purchased a small BT enabled Garmin for gps.

The iPad uses bluetooth low energy (I think that is correct designation), aka BLE. When my iPad is sitting on top of my dash, above the radio & camera monitor I get a lot of connection issues. With the iPad sitting on the floor it works fairly well except I can’t see it. I do not know if I have an issue w/ interference, that should not be the issue since the distance from adapter is not even 5 ft. Or maybe it is the adapter. It’s not the iPad because I just bought a new one and it has same problem. A new release of software addresses some connection issues but I have not been able to test that yet. The reason I mention all this is that IF the reason is BLE, Android devices use a different BT protocol and I wonder if they would work better.

I have not seen other complaints about iPad connections so maybe there is a different issue. IE: my adapter…

I think the iPad’s smallest memory is more than enough unless you do other things with your iPad. Mine is 128gb and after 6+ yrs of use I still have many 10’s of gb available. But I don’t have any video or music files and very few photos on it.

As for setting up, it’s much easier to download a dash someone else designed and modify it to you needs. In the dash customizing menu, the last selection in that screen is to download a dash, last time I looked there were +/- 35 dashes to choose from.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #550
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Beta Testers

Does 9.5 Work on Android? Going California to New Hampshire Wednesday.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:36 PM   #551

It's my understanding, and I'm no expert, you have to have the correct adapter for android vs apple. As I read "Getting Started" they do not seem to be interchangeable.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:10 PM   #552

Another Question/issue, let me preface by saying I have read the Getting Started tutorial & am sure I'm setup right regarding my questions but I may be misunderstanding something as I am not very techy & fully understanding to such things which makes me just not sure; Dash is setup as follows Odometer, total fuel used, average MPG & Instant MPG,Tank 1 & Tank 2, which if I understand correctly are parameters I need to monitor Instant MPG & Average MPG

Question #1
both tanks hold 50 gallons total 100 so I have Tank parameters set at 50% each with a total of 100 gallons but only tank #1 shows decrease as miles are driven Tank #2 maintains 50% even when it's definitely down to approx 35-40 % So is my assumption correct that the truck does not recognize Tank #2 and I should delete said gauge and put Tank #1 parameter to 100 gallons so upon activation of the fill up its at 100%??

Question # 2
Average MPG never changes it maintains a reading of 8.6 mpg even though I've driven plenty where that should have changed especially after todays 40 mph winds where instant was down to 5.2 - 6.5 at times, My understanding was to ensure that Bluefire is monitoring Odometer & total fuel used in order to calculate average MPG or am I supposed to also enter into trip data as well & shouldn't average mpg clear when fillup is activated or again am I missing something or not fully understanding what I'm supposed to be activating.

Thank You All in advance I know at times I struggle with myself & grow weary
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
Question #1
both tanks hold 50 gallons total 100 so I have Tank parameters set at 50% each with a total of 100 gallons but only tank #1 shows decrease as miles are driven Tank #2 maintains 50% even when it's definitely down to approx 35-40 % So is my assumption correct that the truck does not recognize Tank #2 and I should delete said gauge and put Tank #1 parameter to 100 gallons so upon activation of the fill up its at 100%??
Did you select dual tanks in settings? Settings->Fuel&DEF opens new page. First option allows setting dual tanks. No idea of how it works after that.

Quote:
Question # 2
Average MPG never changes it maintains a reading of 8.6 mpg even though I've driven plenty where that should have changed especially after todays 40 mph winds where instant was down to 5.2 - 6.5 at times, My understanding was to ensure that Bluefire is monitoring Odometer & total fuel used in order to calculate average MPG or am I supposed to also enter into trip data as well & shouldn't average mpg clear when fillup is activated or again am I missing something or not fully understanding what I'm supposed to be activating.
I have not quite figured out the best way to do MPG. My question is since my fill line goes to the side of the tank and not the top, how full is the tank when fuel is up in the neck? So I stopped thinking about MPG. Too many variables.

My understanding is that you do need to do the trip stuff to get MPG right. It's been since last summer that I went anywhere overnight so I can't remember the details. Hopefully someone smarter than me can answer your questions better.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #554

I did select dual tanks & setup accordingly 50% each
I did read in the Getting started regarding the trip page but am not sure if I understand it correctly, I'm also leaning as you stated regarding variables nothing beats good old fashioned hard # figuring for the MPG's I just thought it would be easier maybe not, Thank You!
Old 04-25-2022, 12:47 PM   #555

There are a number of different MPG readings that you can use, depending on what you want to see. The first is the lifetime average MPG reading. I don't know if that is read directly off of the data bus, or if it is calculated from the Odometer reading and the Total Fuel Used reading. Mine is currently at 8.2, and never changes. With 145,000+ miles driven, it would take a lot of miles driven at a different average MPG to get that number to change at this point. I don't bother having it on my dash. I can find it on other pages if I really want to see it. The second is the instant MPG reading, which wildly varies and is not of much value to me. But I show it on my dash anyway.

You can also set up a Trip, which will set the Odometer and Total Fuel Used values at the start of the trip, and compare the current Odometer and Total Fuel Used values to calculate the Trip Distance, Fuel Used, and MPG for the trip. You can see this calculation on the Trip page, or set a text gauge on the dash to show the values.

You can also use Trip Meter text gauges to do essentially the same thing as a Trip. The advantage of the Trip Meter text gauge is that you can set up multiple Trip Meters. I use two. One for my current trip and a second one for my current fuel tank. They reset with a simple tap on the gauge. (You do need to check the Show Full Trip Meter option on the gauge to show the fuel used and MPG calculation.) These are the MPG values I am really interested in seeing.

Mark did offer to build a gauge where I can enter my bank balance and the current fuel price, and show my bank balance dropping as I drive. I declined.

BlueFire gives you plenty of options, which is great for many users. But unfortunately it can be confusing to new users. For the record, I use an Android Galaxy Tab A 10.1 tablet and the Bluetooth Classic adapter.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #556

I forgot to add that these MPG values are completely independent from fuel tank size and fuel fillups, etc. They are strictly calculated from the Odometer and Total Fuel Used readings from the data buss.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #557

Great Info Thank You!
Old 07-05-2022, 04:37 PM   #558

Bluefire

I would like to know if I get a USB Dongle ( for Bluetooth) if I could somehow see what I have on my tablet and see it on front TV.
I'm new to Bluefire and really like what I see from what I have now and learning.
I was thinking instead of taking a look at tablet I could look at TV screen.
I know most don't work when ignition is on but when I re did my top bulkhead I plug the TV in a regular receptacle.
If there is a way to do it, what do I need , and how to connect it.
Many Thanks for info
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:44 PM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Ball View Post
I was thinking instead of taking a look at tablet I could look at TV screen.
I don't know how a BT dongle could work like you mention. The Bluefire App runs on an Android or Apple mobile device, not on your TV. The app uses BT to receive a signal from the BT Adapter to the tablet's (or phone) BT.

That said, I have done this on an iPad by using screen mirroring. It is not simple and it often fails. The reasons for the fail is that screen mirroring on an Apple mobile device relies on wifi and an internet connection. My iPad does not have cellular so I am limited to how and when I can get a connection to complete the mirroring. The TV has to support mirroring, not all do.

To mirror, I connect my iPad via a Winegard router to get an internet signal. If I do this when the internet is available to the Winegard, the iPad will remain mirrored until powered down even tho the original signal is lost as you travel. It apparently only needs the internet connection to establish mirroring, after that it works without the internet. So it can be made to work. I have never tried using a hot spot to provide the winegard with an internet connection via cellular but that probably will work. My data plan would not support that.

I gave up on mirroring and mount my iPad on the center of the dash. I don't think a quick glance at the tv to see the display is a safety issue, especially since the numbers are so big on the tv. It's not any different than glancing at a mirror. My iPad mounted on the dash is actually a bit harder to see since the displayed numbers are so much smaller but the line of sight is much better than glancing up at the tv. I've seen photos of mounted tablets that are much closer to looking straight ahead. These are usually mounted on the pillar at the left edge of the front window.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #560

Thanks for the reply TiffinUser. I knew it would not be easy.
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dashboard, fire