Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2022, 11:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Bluetooth start for generator

We have a 2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43qrp with a Onan 10k diesel genny. Is it possible to bluetooth it to my phone in order to start it remotely?
I had an app on my phone to operate the thermostat in my S&B remotely and thought maybe there was something similar for a generator.
Thanks!
Annette Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2022, 12:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette Wink View Post
We have a 2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43qrp with a Onan 10k diesel genny. Is it possible to bluetooth it to my phone in order to start it remotely?
I had an app on my phone to operate the thermostat in my S&B remotely and thought maybe there was something similar for a generator.
Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144022545166 any remote start for a vehicle should be able to be adapted to the genset? should be pretty simple?
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I was thinking more along the lines of when we are away from the MH. I think I have to be in the general area for a remote start, yes?
Old 05-06-2022, 12:47 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette Wink View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of when we are away from the MH. I think I have to be in the general area for a remote start, yes?

Why not set a auto generator start module to start based upon battery voltage or temperature? Seems more useful than pressing a button from miles away not knowing what’s going on with the RV.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The other issue is BlueTooth is limited in range to 40-50 feet so there's no advantage to it over an AGS (Automatic Generator Start). Any system operated remoted would have to be through WiFi, not BlueTooth.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you all for the replies. We just had our Zantrex 3000 replaced with a Freedom SW 3012. I can't seem to find the menu for setting up the auto gen start. I have the mobile techs coming this week and will have them give me a tutorial :-)
Old 05-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A few days ago, I posted in the Newmar forum this post about how I added the ability manually and auto-start my generator via cell phone/web page. The Victron Cerbo GX device will work with any generator setup, but you need a full-time internet connection for this to work when you're away from the coach.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator