Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
The WAZE app is free and can send real time link of your travel and ETA - I use this alot when picking up someone from the airport.

Your looking for IOS but, If you have a garmin GPS already - you should be able to download your travel to a PC and use their free BaseCamp software to show your travel -
i use waze for travel alerts and i do not have a garmin. primary gps is a Rand McNally in-dash. not looking to send an additional real time travel link...my APRS does that. again, what i want to do at the end of a travel day is to embed in an e-mail i send to friends and family either an image of our travel route or a link to same from an online source.

i've looked at the suggested apps as well as others i've found thru mr. google. none seem to do what i'm looking to do without upfront and ongoing cost.

frustrating!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Not sure how you travel - but you could do something with google map

if you put in your start and end locations - you can drag the route to follow your travel - it not automatic - but give you a map with your track -

this is an example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	273671  
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #17

hmmm ...that might work. can that map be saved as a file or can i create a URL to embed in an email?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:35 AM   #18

rk911-

I did not respond to your first post, as I thought you wanted something that would track you in real time.

We use a Garmin GPS. After a leg of a trip, I download the GPS track (where we actually went), convert it and then transfer it to Google Maps. Google allows you to "invite" other Google users to view your map(s). I usually add the overnight stops to a map. For a big trip we made, I added the things we saw to the maps, with comments.

It is possible that your Rand-McNally GPS will export tracks in a format that can be converted to Google Maps.

Someday Google will drop Google Maps, and our carefully-made information will disappear, but until then it provides a nice place to store info about our trips.

I vaguely remember reading that Google Maps can provide a real-time, "follow me" type of tracking function, but I have not investigated that myself.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
hmmm ...that might work. can that map be saved as a file or can i create a URL to embed in an email?
You can just do a screen print of any Web page and save it as a JPG. There are lots of examples on the Web - below is an example, you just need to find one that works for you -

How to take a screenshot on a PC
https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...eenshot-on-pc/
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
looking for recommendations for a bread crumb mapping app for IOS. i want it to be able to follow us in the background and allow me to share the track in an e-mail or text as a link or embedded image.
It's way easier that all that stuff above, just turn on location services on your phone and enable Google Maps Timeline tracking (location history) in the Google app. They will pin point your location about every 15mins or so tracing your routes (bread crumbs), if you stop for more than a few minutes it will pin the location/business name on your map. My map looks like the US with measles, we traveled over 17k miles last year...red dots everywhere.

Heck, it even knows how to discriminate walking, biking and road vehicle miles. If you upload your photos to Google with exif (gps location) they are linked to locations on the map as well.

It's about as creepy as creepy gets...but they already know more about you than your family; consider it your gift of modern convenience from the friendly folks at Google.

rm
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
It's way easier that all that stuff above, just turn on location services on your phone and enable Google Maps Timeline tracking (location history) in the Google app. They will pin point your location about every 15mins or so tracing your routes (bread crumbs), if you stop for more than a few minutes it will pin the location/business name on your map. My map looks like the US with measles, we traveled over 17k miles last year...red dots everywhere.

Heck, it even knows how to discriminate walking, biking and road vehicle miles. If you upload your photos to Google with exif (gps location) they are linked to locations on the map as well.

It's about as creepy as creepy gets...but they already know more about you than your family; consider it your gift of modern convenience from the friendly folks at Google.

rm
thanks! i'll try that on our next driving day. question: can i export that map to embed in an email?
Old 02-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
thanks! i'll try that on our next driving day. question: can i export that map to embed in an email?
Yep, you can also share the 'pins'. All kinds of stuff. Here is what's in the 'gear' menu.

Double click on a red dot, it will connect the dots and show you the route you took to get there.

There are all kinds of other stuff you can do.

ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.11.35 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	274725  
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #23

Google maps has a timeline on the app. It shows where you've been over a daily basis. It sort of does what you are referring automatically. Pretty creepy to be honest but cool to look back on.

I'd also suggest some car cameras have GPS tracking built in so they track a path as you drive. Some have apps that can easily be viewed. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200209-183032_Maps.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	274726
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #24

thanks again, ron. i’ll definitely give that a try.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #25

Quote:
looking for recommendations for a bread crumb mapping app for IOS. i want it to be able to follow us in the background and allow me to share the track in an e-mail or text as a link or embedded image.

Most Garmin GPS produce a bread crumb trail as you drive. AKA a Track. Transfering it into BaseCamp allows you to view, save, print, or email it.