Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2017, 06:09 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Broke laptop/GPS

One day last year we needed to move the coach a short distance. The why escapes me at the moment. I had forgot to move my Acer Aspire (Windows 10 with touch screen) from the fireplace mantel/shelf. Well, don't yea know, the coach gave a lurch and the Acer hit the floor on a hinge corner. Over time the case began to separate and the screen became unstable. When trying to fix the hinge mounting I broke the screen. This was my Microsoft Streets & Trips machine and I rely upon it heavily. I installed the S&T program on DW's Surface Pro but she was not pleased with that idea. I needed a replacement machine.

I bought a Dell with the same i5 chipset at a good price on Amazon. I installed S&T and all was well again.... or not.

I was showing off the S&T to a fellow volunteer one day not long after I bought the Dell. I closed the cover on the Dell, as usual, and went back to my rig. In the morning I opened the cover and the S&T gave me a Licensing error code and quit working. I tried for months to get it functioning again. Not happening.

The other day I was talking with a PC tech who was visiting my neighbor. He suggested that I put the Acer HDD into the Dell. With the same chipset it might work. I did and it does!

(I don't recall ever trying this in the past. This might be a way to save your favorite operating system and programs with a minimum hassle. Try putting your old, functioning, HDD into the new laptop.)

When I opened the S&T for the first time on the Dell with the Acer HDD installed, it posted the license key input screen. I entered my license code and the program started to function properly. All of my saved work is saved. I just now tried the GPS function. It is up and running at this moment. I am a happy camper once again!

About this font. Just thought I would try something other than the default. Any comments are welcome.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #2

You aren't always going to be able to do something like that. Taking the hard drive and sticking it in another computer, and having it boot at all, is a crap shoot.

This is a good argument for making sure you keep your license keys in order, and backing up your data regularly

Glad it worked out for you this time
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
You aren't always going to be able to do something like that. Taking the hard drive and sticking it in another computer, and having it boot at all, is a crap shoot.

This is a good argument for making sure you keep your license keys in order, and backing up your data regularly

Glad it worked out for you this time
I agree, Brad. Having the same chip-set is what saved the day. Now I would like to learn the correct way to make a bootable clone of this machine.

I wish I new a way to get Microsoft to reinstate Streets & Trips. With all of its flaws, it was still the most functional and versatile GPS program for long distance traveling. And, for us, printing the route is essential.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 01-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Great ingenuity. For those who have the XP version on the computer in the front, I whole gutted the computer and put an Acer in the old cabinet below the screen and hooked up the original power supply with adaptors and now have windows 8 in the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHUCK 6-17-14 045.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	149252  
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is why I kept the original S&T CD, also the case with the code.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Google Acronis True Image backup software - very inexpensive and you can save the image on a USB hard drive for safe storage.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I agree, Brad. Having the same chip-set is what saved the day. Now I would like to learn the correct way to make a bootable clone of this machine.

I wish I new a way to get Microsoft to reinstate Streets & Trips. With all of its flaws, it was still the most functional and versatile GPS program for long distance traveling. And, for us, printing the route is essential.

Happy trails,
Rick
There's a utility called "Clonezilla" (clonezilla.org). NOTE: This is not for the faint at heart!

If you have enough computer knowledge, you can download that and install it on a USB memory stick, and make it bootable, following instructions here: Clonezilla Live on USB

Then, I have one of these external dual drive docking/duplicating units: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B001IOPIRM

Insert the source hard drive first, so you know which one it is, then insert the second one.

Then boot from the USB stick with Clonezilla on it, and follow the instructions on the website to copy drive A to drive B.

REPEAT: This is NOT for the faint at heart, and you CAN make a mistake and copy the wrong hard drive to the other... so BE CAREFUL!

I have used this many times for cloning computers for retail POS systems, and it works well once you get the hang of it.

It's not a bad idea to practice with an old hard drive or two that don't really mean as much to you...

I am NOT responsible if you wreck your good hard drive!!

RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This is why I kept the original S&T CD, also the case with the code.
Me too. But, just after I got the new pc and had loaded the S&T the disc fell on the floor. Neither of us noticed it. DW moved a dinette chair and sat down. The disc was under a foot!. There is hope here.

In troubleshooting the Dell problem I tried a download of S&T from the Microsoft download site. I still had the copy. It is good and works with the license from the original disc.

Happy trails are always better when you know where you are going and when you have arrived.

Rick Y

Tags
gps