Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

Cable Connection

Hi, I'm new to this thing so bare with me. We just bought a Jayco Precept 34G
and when we tried to connect the rig to the campground cable tv we could not get it to work. We made sure the green light was off on the inside and tried connecting to both the satellite and cable connections but no luck. We eventually ran the cable from their box, through the front door, and connected to the tv directly. Any advice on what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated. Rich
yakpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to go into the settings on the TV and change the input from OTA, Off Air or Antenna to cable. Then you have to perform a scan on the TV to get the channels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #3

Do you have an ohm-voltmeter? Try shorting out that coax cable at one end and checking the resistance at the other end. Perhaps that cable is open?
Old 11-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Is there any kind of switching box inside? If so, you will have to select "Cable" as the input and then select which TV you want to send it to.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #5

I'm having the same problem in my 2012 Winnebago Via 25Q. If I connect the cable from the campground in through the window straight to the TV it works fine. I found the cable schematics on the Winnebago site and they show the cable input in the power bay runs to a satellite box and then to a "wall plate" that combines the roof antenna and the satellite/cable feed into a feed with splitters to 2 TVs and an outside TV connection.

However, neither I nor my RV techs can find either this satellite box or the "wall plate" to figure out where the problem is. Winnebago was no help. I'm about to the point of just running a new cable from the power bay input straight to the main TV since that's the only one we watch anyway.
jwilson2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Check inside cabinets, and behind things. The wall plates have a way of hiding.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Welcome to my rv world! [emoji2] We bought a 21 Entegra Vision XL 34G and had the same issues. I don't use the dealer for many issues so I pulled the panel forward that has the tv connections (above sink) and bought a cheap coaxial toner.
There are no switches there and only the satellite connector (another issue) and the ota antenna jack and button.
I did find the cable wire by toning and put in a switch to go from cable to antenna but I moved it all to above the tv cabinet. Yes, smaller but dw really wanted that above sink cabinet for dishes and glasses.
It's unfortunate that they didn't install more lines to the rear tv whether coax or hdmi so you can play the dvr to the rear or send the satellite to the rear as well without adding a switch ourselves.

Tags
cable