Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 06:15 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cable length for playmaker

I use two playmakers dishes. One mounted on the roof of our motor home and a second for those times when we are under trees.

I understand the limits of the cable length when using a Wally and a playmaker. I’m at 20 volts out the reciever and 13.2 at 50 feet. I can just barely make 50ft with on a decent RG6 cable (but not solid core). I have ordered a copper solid core RG11 to see what that gets me. Would like to get to 75 feet. And yes there are many instances where a run that long is needed.

My question is would a different reciever, such as one of the 211 series make a difference? Can I run a longer cable? Do they output a higher voltage that would allow for loss along the cable run?

Anybody try this yet?
wdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #2

I use a 211 receiver with a Winegard Pathway X2. I've never checked the voltage, but many times I have had over 130 feet of cable and everything has worked fine.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:36 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I should have done more research before jumping into the Wally/Playmaker system. I normally do. The 211/Pathway does sound like a better option to the playmaker now that I’ve read about it.

Do you know if you’re using RG6 or RG11 cable by any chance? I’ll get the RG11 cable next week some time.

It kind of irritates me that a system that is aimed at mobility and RVing can’t support longer cable runs.

Thanks for your reply
Old 07-03-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

I use a Wally with a Pathway X2. I use 100' of RG6 with no problems.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #5

No I sure don't remember. I probably got my coaxial cables 10 years ago! If I remember, I'll take the boys (two labradoodles) for a walk in the direction of the motorhome and look at the cables.

A few thoughts:
Make sure the coaxial cables has weather proof ends. Usually there is a rubber sealing O-Ring inside the end.

Are you aware of Wing Dings? These are a really nifty cool item for connecting and disconnection coaxial cables. I glue mine on because they can get knocked off during travels. I got mine a long time ago from EBay. Here is another place I just found. https://www.specialized.net/cable-pr...hoChSsQAvD_BwE

We like to camp in more rural wooded type campsites, thus the need to get the dish out further from the motorhome. I carry two 50 foot cables, a 25 footer, and a 10 footer plus necessary connectors.

Are you aware of apps that show you the satellites and any obstructions between you and those "birds" 23,000 miles above our heads? I use the SatFinder Lite app.

Picture of Wing Ding
Picture of our last snow skiing trip. The Wingard is sitting on a 3 foot tall tripod at the far left of the picture! I had to use all of my cable getting the dish out into clear sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Dings.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	369988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210201_095618.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	369989  

Old 07-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #6

Just got back from our walk to the motorhome, and the cable I use is RG6

Here is the Ebay site for the Wing Dings
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264633319055
Old 07-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #7

50 feet is nothing. over 300 and you should start wondering if length is an issue...
Bobertgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:43 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
cable length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobertgoes View Post
50 feet is nothing. over 300 and you should start wondering if length is an issue...
I don't know... I see a lot of people with cable length issues when using the Wally/Playmaker setup on here.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wally/Pathwqy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
I use a Wally with a Pathway X2. I use 100' of RG6 with no problems.
So it's sounding like the pathway vs playmaker is more the issue

Thanks
Old 07-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tried RG11 Cable

The 85ft solid copper core RG11 cable I ordered came in and worked great with the Wally and the Playmaker

I may order a 120ft cable and see how that works. Anyhow, cheaper than replacing the playmaker with a pathway. Thanks for everybody’s help.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcooper View Post
The 85ft solid copper core RG11 cable I ordered came in and worked great with the Wally and the Playmaker

I may order a 120ft cable and see how that works. Anyhow, cheaper than replacing the playmaker with a pathway. Thanks for everybody’s help.
Good to know! Thanks for the update.

Tags
cable