Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 09:36 PM   #1

Campground cable box connection advice

Checked in at a campground that provides a separate cable box to receive their cable. I have a Tiffin Allegro with a coax "IN" in the wet bay. I tried to connect cable from source to cable box and plugged it in in my wet bay. I received no cable channels.

I have a cable "in" and a satellite "in" above the front door and I have run a coax thru the window then to cable box then to this input and get cable to the tv. But having a cable dangling and cable box hanging seems odd. Any thoughts, suggestions?
MTrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 04:29 AM   #2

Might not be related, but. Behind my TV in the entertainment center is a push button switch. It’s mounted in a duplex receptacle right next to the type F coax cable connection and an AC receptacle where the TV AC power plugs in to. Sometimes if I move the TV I accidentally hit this push button turning it off and I get no over the air TV channels. That’s why I say might not be related. I think this switch is for a pre-amplifier that is for just the over the air TV (maybe am/fm radio too) and not related to the coax for cable TV. But, I’m not sure. On the other hand, might be just the that this switch is turned off. Don’t know where your’s is located though. May be in a different location
HotelFoMoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be able to connect the cable output of the box to the input in the bay. The signal will be analog and down-converted so the tv has to be on a given channel (most of the time it's 3 or 4). -Then you change channels through the box remote. Did it come with a remote and did the campground give you any instructions? As an aside, I think it's a very unfriendly way of offering tv at the campground. Many have converted their line ups so you can just plug in and go. Let us know what happens. If your rv is '08 or newer it likely has digital tv's already and should be able to just plug the cable in without a stupid box.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
You should be able to connect the cable output of the box to the input in the bay. The signal will be analog and down-converted so the tv has to be on a given channel (most of the time it's 3 or 4). -Then you change channels through the box remote. Did it come with a remote and did the campground give you any instructions? As an aside, I think it's a very unfriendly way of offering tv at the campground. Many have converted their line ups so you can just plug in and go. Let us know what happens. If your rv is '08 or newer it likely has digital tv's already and should be able to just plug the cable in without a stupid box.
Most cable providers have scrambled signals. Hooking a raw cable feed to any television, digital or not, will not yield a viewable picture. You must use the appropriate cable box to descramble the signal.
Some cable providers do not allow for redistribution of an unscrambled signal, so the park may be legally unable to set up an internal distribution even if the wanted to.
A park I am familiar with had this problem so the dropped the cable company and installed a Directv system with combiners, amplifiers and decoders. To provide 36 channels cost over $30,000 just for the equipment. Then the cable company sued them claiming exclusive rights to the underground cabling that ran to each site. They were ultimately ruled correct due to some fine print legalese dating to the original installation many owners and years ago. The park finally negotiated a buyout of the cable company’s interest for multiple thousands of dollars more. It isn’t just a matter of the park being lazy and cheap.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You illustrate my point. And yes, the cable co. had every right to challenge. They own the plant as constructed in the park. In a case where 2 providers exist, neither one touches the other's facilities and each audits the other periodically. It would have made much more sense for the park to somehow negotiate with the cable provider rather than going off on their own- making lots of mistakes as they went. We go to many camp gounds and we've yet to be handed a stupid converter anywhere...it's a lazy work around.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:53 AM   #6

You may need to connect the cable, then turn all of the amplifiers OFF.

Then go to settings on your TV- SET THE "TYPE" OF CABLE TO "IRC". NEXT RE-SCAN FOR CABLE CHANNELS.

Did this at the RV park I just left and it worked fine.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:07 PM   #7

Gang thanks for the ideas....we have been busy visiting friends and when back to the RV it has been pouring here in Couere d'Alene so haven't ventured out to retry. Short term have been viewing the few DTV stations we can get. Weather is supposed to clear and I am planning on tackling in the morning and will send the outcome.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #8

So latest update....
1. turned everything off via breaker and reset.
2. Reconnected cable box from post connection to cable box then connected usual cable in my wet bay connection to the box....note at every campground I just connect to past cabke and get whatever signal campground cable sends.
3. Turned to Channel 3 per box setting
4. Nothing...no channels. So either box is bad, cable is down or this just doesn't work for my rig which is odd.

I do have an internal cable connection which I used awhile ago but you have to run cable into front door and into upper cabinet which I have done one time before that worked but we don't want to leave front door open here due to rain and cold.

So I am going to call it a day and live on the 8 digital channels we get.

Thanks for the advice wish I had better outcome to report.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:50 AM   #9

Try removing that cable box entirely. Take the pedestal to your wet bay cable connector. Take TV direct to coax fitting. Turn pre-amps off. Set TV cable setup to IRC mode. Rescan TV for cable channels....just might work...it does for me.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #10

1. Hook to the cable in jack.
2. Turn the amplifier off on you OTA antennae.
3. Go in to the tv programming and put it on cable input.
4. Scan your tv

Good luck
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
DO THIS......

Plug the campground's "cable feed" into the TRIPOD input in the outside bay.

Go inside and find the coax cable marked tripod input in the cabinet with all the audio/video connections and components. Connect that coax cable to the cable box the campground gave you.

Connect the RV's HDMI cable labeled Satellite to the cable boxes HDMI output. This sends the output of the cable box to the HDMI distribution box in the RV.

Now select the Satellite HDMI input on the TVs and you should see the cable channels.

You CAN'T expect the digital signals from the park's cable system to get through the RV's internal cable distribution system. For one thing, they digital signals won't get past the Antenna/Cable switch box so no amount of using that Cable input on the outside is going to work.

I've done this on dozens of Tiffin RVs. It works. Be glad you have a Tiffin. Those with Entegras and Newmars don't have things so easy.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:16 PM   #12

We have been out exploring all day and golf tomorrow am but I will give this a try...I want to figure this out for the "next" time
Old 06-16-2022, 07:50 AM   #13

Don't forget to set your TV to scan for channels. It took me a while to find the settings on the TV in the used 2005 motorhome we bought last year. The TV had been replaced with a newer model, but is not a Smart TV.

And, on my TV, I need to do a channel scan each time I am in a different location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrif View Post
We have been out exploring all day and golf tomorrow am but I will give this a try...I want to figure this out for the "next" time
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Don't forget to set your TV to scan for channels. It took me a while to find the settings on the TV in the used 2005 motorhome we bought last year. The TV had been replaced with a newer model, but is not a Smart TV.

And, on my TV, I need to do a channel scan each time I am in a different location.
If the cable box output is via coax then scanning will be needed to find channel 3 assuming that is the channel the descrambled stations are out on. I'm hoping there is an HDMI output tho.

Tags
advice, cable, campground