Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #1

Can't get rid of all caps on word processor

I just started typing a letter in Microsoft Works Word Processor and after one line it went to all caps all at once and I don't know what I did or how to get rid of it. Generally I have to press "caps lock" on the keyboard to get all caps but it's not on and pressing it doesn't make any difference.

What did it do to start it all right in the middle of a sentence? Are there other keys or combination of keys that will lock onto "all caps"?

All help or suggestions appreciated from this illiterate computer operator.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Just a guess: There are some fonts that are all caps regardless of the capslock key. Change the font.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Just a guess: There are some fonts that are all caps regardless of the capslock key. Change the font.
DITTO

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Also check under Format > Font... window to see that small caps is unchecked. been there, done that...
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

But it went to all caps right in the middle of a sentence while I was typing. Surely I couldn't have reached anything that would change the Fonts. I will take another look to see if there's anyplace I could have reached.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Wagonmaster2
Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKat View Post
Also check under Format > Font... window to see that small caps is unchecked. been there, done that...
Went there. Small caps was unchecked but All Caps was checked. I unchecked All Caps and now everything is fine. What could have happened? I've typed letters there before without any problems, and this one started all caps right in the middle of the first sentence after the salutation which was as it should have been also.

I've never even been to Format-Font- before, didn't even know what it was there for which is no surprise since there's so many places on this computer I've never been nor know what they are for.

I have about 3/4 of a page already typed in All Caps, is there any way to convince the computer to change back to small caps without retyping the whole thing? Should have asked you guys first instead of just kept on typing. Live and learn, but what we have to go through to learn.

Wagonmaster2
Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Although I don't have MS Works (I have Word), there should be a font section where you can click a checkbox as either Small Caps or All Caps (amongst other font effects). You can then highlight what's already typed in all caps & revert it back to small caps by checking the Small Caps checkbox to apply that to what you highlighted.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
But it went to all caps right in the middle of a sentence while I was typing. Surely I couldn't have reached anything that would change the Fonts. I will take another look to see if there's anyplace I could have reached.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Wagonmaster2

I'm not familiar with Works, (I use Open Office) but there are many keystrokes you can inadvertantly type that perform various functions in any word processor. Since you are not having trouble typing lower case characters here, I think we can rule out a hardware issue (junk stuck under shift key, stuck caps-lock, etc)
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have about 3/4 of a page already typed in All Caps, is there any way to convince the computer to change back to small caps without retyping the whole thing? Should have asked you guys first instead of just kept on typing. Live and learn, but what we have to go through to learn.

Wagonmaster2
I'm not familiar with Works, but in Word, you would highlight the part you want to change, then go to FORMAT/Fonts again and deselect the all-caps.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
... there are many keystrokes you can inadvertantly type that perform various functions in any word processor.

That is correct. For example, in MS Word Alt+A will turn on the All Caps option. Alt+M will turn on Small Caps. It's quite possible you hit a similar combination when you were typing in Works & didn't know it.

Lori-
Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are a thousand key combanations known only to the programers.
Like if you lock up and need to reboot: Ctrl Alt Delete
To save is: Ctrl S
Print: Ctrl P
Theres also one to do CapLock.
My son is an IP and he can do anything he wants with just a few key strokes.
Strange things happen without us being aware

Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #12

Wow, just knowing what all can happen on the keyboard is really scary for a novice like me. Never realized so much could be done with keystrokes.

Originally when I went to Format - Fonts - the "All Caps" box was checked, no idea how it got there so I unclicked it and everything has been fine. I can cap when I want at the start of a sentence then everything else is lower case just like I'm typing here. I tried the "small caps" box but all lower case letters are capitalized, which is not what I wanted.

Really appreciate all the information you Guys (Dolls) have thrown at me even though 6 months from now I may be asking the same question again but I sure know where I can get the right answer.

Thanks again.

Wagonmaster2
Old 12-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
...Originally when I went to Format - Fonts - the "All Caps" box was checked, no idea how it got there...

It would have become checked when you inadvertently used the Alt+A keystroke while typing. Doing the keystrokes are the same as checking & does check the box.

Lori-