Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Carry out satellite

I have direct tv at home and would like to take it on the road with me. I have looked at automatic sataillites but don't want to spend that much. I found one that connects to to crank up tv antennae and I like it but don't know how hard it would be to use. I can buy a tripod sataillite and just set it up at campground. is it hard to find signal doing it this way. Thanks for any feedback.
Sardis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

I found it to be a pain to get a decent signal on a tripod dish. Sometimes I could get it set up quickly, other times not. I ended up buying a Winegard Carry Out dish that automatically finds the signal [moderator edit].
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

sat tv

I've taken direct tv on the road for the last 5 years it's worked out well.I have the wineguard dish on the roof and a portable when there's to many trees blocking the signal.pretty easy to set up.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #4

I tried to pm u did u get it wonder what shipping would cost on something like that
Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I switched from a tripod-mounted dish to a VuQube 1000. One advantage of the VuQube is that no additional wiring is required - it gets its power from the coax going from the receiver to the LNBs. It does require "manual" aiming using a handheld remote, but if I'm careful to have it level and pointing due south, aligning it only takes a minute or two at most.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I had one of the Wineguard manual carryouts that looks like a round suitcase. It worked well and I got to where I could tune it in just a few minutes. A good compass and finding out the azimuth and altitude of the satellite at your location makes it easier. I am also on DirecTV.

My wife gave me a Wineguard carryout automatic last year for my birthday and it works even better. It does require two cables, one 12v power and the coax which are included with the kit. You do have to provide a 12v power supply or plug the power into a cigarette lighter. Just hook it up, apply power and it finds the satellite automatically. No issues with it as of yet.

Once the signal locks in, you can unplug the power cable, unless you are on Dish where the unit has to switch back and forth between satellites. DirecTV is all on one satellite.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you want HD, your only option is a tripod with a multi-LNB antenna or a roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler (more expensive). The other automatic antennas are single LNB and will only get SD with DirecTV.

Setting up a tripod isn't that difficult once you get it down. I just did it, after not having aimed one in a couple of years, and it didn't take me that long. TV4RV makes a really good one. That's the one I use.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

Thanks I think I am going with the tripod because I want three tvs on different boxes and I want hd on all three. It sound like set up is not to hard I am ok with that.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you want HD on three TVs, then the tripod route is perfect.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #10

I have DirecTV at home. I bought a tripod and SWM dish that I keep in the rig. I paid $120 for it. When i travel, I take a receiver from home (or two if I want to watch more than one TV). My phone has a compass app. I go online before I leave and get the azimuth and elevation for my destination. When I get set up, I place the phone on the LNB arm and point the dish at the correct azimuth using the compass. Once done, I simply run the dish up and down on the mount until my receiver tells me I'm at the correct elevation (signal strength). It's really quite simple and never takes me more than a few minutes.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #11

I am not happy with my Wineguard Carryout. I have to run it directly to receiver to make it work while my manual sattelite dish worked fine using coach wiring from rear compartment. Does anyone else have this problem? Is the signal stronger from my old bigger manual aiming dish than the smaller carryout?
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
I am not happy with my Wineguard Carryout. I have to run it directly to receiver to make it work while my manual sattelite dish worked fine using coach wiring from rear compartment. Does anyone else have this problem? Is the signal stronger from my old bigger manual aiming dish than the smaller carryout?
The cable wiring in you MH will probably nonsupport then12v need to make your Wineguard work.
I had the same problem with my tailgator. It just won't work through the existing cable.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #13

Have tried it all

My best results is a tripod mount with a two lmb direct tv dish. I make sure the tri pod post is plumb and set the dish to the setting on the direct tv web site by zip code. (directv/dish pointer) Dish Pointer Sometimes it comes at set up otherwise a couple minutes.

Dave
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
I haven't had any problem hooking into the existing MH portable satellite input with my Winegard Carryout. I rigged up a 12v outlet next to the satellite input in my utility bay for ease of hookup.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite