Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #1

Casting a phone to TV without WiFi or Cell?

I have a Samsung Cell phone and a Samsung Smart TV in my camper. Looking to cast the signal from phone to TV when travelling in remote areas without WiFi or Cell.

Can casting be accomplished without WiFi or Cell?
If not, can casting be accomplished with a Cell Signal only?

Thanks Guys
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #2

After pairing via Bluetooth it continues on.
But what will you cast besides files or photos or short videos if there is no cell service?
Old 03-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #3

I use Smart View on my Samsung phone to cast to my TV.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:29 PM   #4

I store movies and shows on my phone before the camping trips so we can watch something without any service. Does anyone here cast to TV without any cell or WiFi?
Old 03-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #5

You can use an USB-C to HDMI adapter. Plug the USB port into your phone, and run a HDMI cable from the adapter to the tv.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 03:02 PM   #6

I use the smart view all of the time with my TV set. (A TCL/ROKU TV with a Samsung phone.) I never paid attention, since it worked seamlessly, but I guess it does require both to be on the same wifi network.

Can you get any old WIFI router, and even with no internet connection, use it to tie the phone and TV together?
Old 03-08-2023, 03:31 PM   #7
YC1

As suggested, if you cannot blue tooth it then a cheap wi-fi router will do the trick.

You don't need the internet. Heck, if the tv has a cat5 connection, plug that into the router with a short cord and put your phone on that router. Then only one device is doing things wirelessly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:24 PM   #8

I have a cord. Just wanted to do it cordless.
I did test it with my WiFi off on my phone and it still cast a show from my phone to TV. Next I guess I will turn off my WiFi and Mobile Data and see if it works.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2023, 08:29 AM   #9

Video to TV without mobile or wifi connection...

Homeby5,

You will get plenty of opinions and recommendations here so I'll just add 2 cents from our experience.

We do not have any solar panels or satellite receivers on our View. We tend to use the wind-up antenna for broadcast TV when available as my wife loves PBS which is generally not available on cable. Our 12v TV uses only 46 watts of power so can run a long time on house battery power.

As for other video, we choose not to waste phone battery power to connect to the TV for streaming video/music ... not to mention that our "Flintstones" TV does not have Bluetooth capability anyway. Our TV does have a built-in DVD player but it eats up battery power to run since it has a motor in it so we don't use it much unless connected to shore power.

Apart from broadcast TV, we do use a Roku module if we have any kind of WiFi connectivity... Some campgrounds eschew streaming but with the bandwidth control setup we have never been told to throttle down.

In the final analysis, the simplest, fastest, and most energy efficient solution (IMO) is to load up your videos/mp3s on a memory stick. Most, if not all, modern TV's have a USB port and can accept/read such media.... This is the most convenient wireless video connection. No need to cast anything anywhere... no WiFi or cell connection necessary. An hour of video at 1080p resolution needs just over 1Gb of memory so a 256 Gb stick can handle up to over 200 hours of video... Today, a 1Tb stick is available for less than $20.... why waste all your phone memory to store/cast videos when that storage is so cheap?

Paul and Chris
Winnebago 2006 View, NW FL
+1.850.218.5965
Guzowskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
I have a Samsung Cell phone and a Samsung Smart TV in my camper. Looking to cast the signal from phone to TV when travelling in remote areas without WiFi or Cell.

Can casting be accomplished without WiFi or Cell?
If not, can casting be accomplished with a Cell Signal only?

Thanks Guys
Here's a link to the Samsung Smart View Features: https://www.samsung.com/levant/apps/tv/smart-view/

That gives a complete description of the features and the process to get your Samsung phone connected to your Samsung TV. It works great; the phone and TV play together nicely.

Much, much easier that trying to wire together your phone and TV.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-21-2023, 06:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Here's a link to the Samsung Smart View Features: https://www.samsung.com/levant/apps/tv/smart-view/

That gives a complete description of the features and the process to get your Samsung phone connected to your Samsung TV. It works great; the phone and TV play together nicely.

Much, much easier that trying to wire together your phone and TV.

Take care,
Stu
Says it need some kind of "network". Is there a way to set up a local network without Cell signal or Service provided WiFi? Thanks
Old 03-21-2023, 07:04 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Says it need some kind of "network". Is there a way to set up a local network without Cell signal or Service provided WiFi? Thanks
I have a two WiFi routers in my motorhome. One is used for internet connection from a variety of sources and the other has no internet connection and is used for an internal connection between my laptop and a network storage device to separate the network storage from potential access through the internet.

So, I don't recall whether, or not, that I had internet connection when I originally set up the "Smart View" link between my phone and the TV. I believe that I probably did.

However, as an experiment, I turned off data, WiFi and Bluetooth on my phone and then selected Airplane Mode on my phone. I then selected the "Smart View" app on my phone and observed that when selecting Smart View, the phone activated the WiFi connection without any input from me. At that point, I connected the phone to the non-internet connected WiFi router and the Smart View connection with my TV was established.

So, that suggests to me that an internet connection may, or may not, be required during initial setup. Some form internet connection is necessary to download the Smart View App to the phone. Once the initial setup connection between the phone and TV has been established, there doesn't appear to me to be any need for an internet connection. However, the phone to TV connection does appear to be via WiFi.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-21-2023, 07:06 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We use this adapter on out TV to cast from our phone.

https://a.co/d/6jClxLz
It works without Wi-Fi uses quick view on your Samsung phone. It's one of the apps when you swipe down to turn on wifi , flashlight etc. Also works with your laptop and or tablet.

We have dish anywhere on our phones which allows us to watch anything we have dvr on our box at home plus all the channels.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prior to smart view I had a setup in the RV that used a chromecast and a portable wifi router. It worked sans internet but it was pretty clunky to get going. But it worked and was good enough for once in a while. Now that most/all phones have smart view I ditched the chromecast and got an amazon fire stick, which supports smart view. Someday I may have a TV in the RV that supports smartview (most today do), and then I wouldn't need the fire stick. I also keep a bunch of music, utoob videos and some movies on a USB stick which will plug directly into the TV.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, wifi