Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
CB Antenna any good??

My Gulf Stream MH came with two CB antennas on top, in the front. The short, white type. I installed a Cobra CB and it gets nothing. Using squealch I dial from full static to just silent, and after that there is no activity, like its not hooked up, but it is.

Are these antenna any good?

If not, what's a good alternative that has simplified installation? Best not to put new holes in my roof. Any types I can get to just "replace" what is already up there without new holes? Especially since the cables are already pulled.

Tks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi johnandcaren,
Before doing anything to replace the antennas, consider having a professional look at the installation. The antennas should be adjustable. When the SWR is checked the service person should be able to adjust the antenna length accordingly. If the antennas have never been used, it may be something very simple.

This may sound dumb, but are you sure the antennas are for the CB? I have not heard of two CB antennas being installed on a coach. It is possible, the coach is large enough to accommodate two antennas. These antennas may be for the coach stereo sound system.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP info

Good point. The professional is a good idea if it comes to that.

The dealer told me they were CB antennas and the brochure says it comes with CB antennas. Also, the jack fits the CB radio perfectly of course, and was previously not connected to anything. The radio worked fine when that antenna wire was disconnected.

Thanks again,
Old 09-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi John,
The coach could have been pre wired for CB. This means the cable under the dash would connect to the CB. However, on the roof, there may or may not be an antenna(s). Many coaches have a plate on the roof (sometimes hard to find). When removed the "other" end of the antenna cable will be found.

Good luck and please post the solution here.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, basic antennas .001

There is a proper length for any antenna.. for CB's it is approx 9 feet. (Actually it's 18 feet but the body of the vehicle provides the other 9 feet)

Any antenna shorter than that is going to not work as well

The SHORTER the antenna, The ... Shorter the range.. it's that simple.

Now.. since the roof of the motor home is what. about 12' up, and since you are not allowed to exceed 13'6" that leaves a max of 18 inches for the CB antenna. 1/6th of the optimum and that.. Is assuming you have a proper ground plane under it.

IN short.. Those stubby CB antennas.. Are good for talking across the camp site.. but trying to talk to your friend 5 camp sites down.. Not going to happen (Ok, so I exaggerate a bit)
Now there are some decent antennas starting in about the 5-6 foot range.. I say decent... Not great.. One such is the Firestick.

But frankly.. Nothing shorter than a quarter wave will work as good..
Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
johnandcaren, you may have the same problem i had. when i purchased my coach, it had two antennas on the top. i installed a cb and it did not work. i took it to a technician, and he told me one was for a cb, the other for am/fm, but they were both amfm antennas. the factory installed both the same. after he changed to a cb ant, it worked fine.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #7

The cable may be the problem. If great care is not taken when installing the ends, just one tiny strand of gnd shield touching the center conductor will cause a short, no reception/transmit strength.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

You might get more specific help on the "CB radio" thread under the "hobbies" category in this forum. In my case the prewired antenna was junk. It was not difficult on my MH to add a firestick NGP antenna on the side of the MH. I chose the 4 foot version with about 18 inches extending above the roof. It functions up to about 5 miles in most cases.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #9

I'm surprised John didn't suggest this.. If the CB has a built-in VSWR meter, learn how to use it and check the match on the antennas. That will tell you everything about them including if they're even hooked up.

As far as looking for a "professional" related to CB these days? ... maybe a truckstop, or the guy at Gamblers RV in Quartzsite if you're in his neighborhood.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #10

My Winnebago came with a junky CB antenna on the roof and instructions how to adjust the SWR. But no matter how much I tinkered with the antenna from one end of the adjustment level to the other I could never get the SWR reading out of the "red". Thought about installing a different antenna but found it much easier to just not use the CB radio.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Where is Bill?
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
My Winnebago came with a junky CB antenna on the roof and instructions how to adjust the SWR. But no matter how much I tinkered with the antenna from one end of the adjustment level to the other I could never get the SWR reading out of the "red". Thought about installing a different antenna but found it much easier to just not use the CB radio.

Wagonmaster2
In 7years and 60,000+ miles on the road, I have yet to hear an RVer on CB. I have learned a bunch of new words. For road info, the truckers (bad language and all) provide good up-to-date info. For other communications, I use a cell phone or my ham radio rig. Overall, the cell phone is best.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #13

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Where is Bill?
Yes, It's too bad Bill had to leave us because of a disagreement. I for one miss his knowledge and abilities.