Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CB question for Class A

I am looking for a CB set up for my Class A.
I don't know much about CB's but most people say Cobra makes a good radio. I also understand I need a no ground plane (NGP) type antenna. I would like to keep within a budget of $200.00 for the CB and antenna, and I can install it myself.
Based on experience, what model CB and what brand antenna would you recommend so I can get the most bang for my buck?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought this CB at Camping World Cobra Electronics - Cobra Mobile CB with Soundtracker - CBs - Camping World and then purchased this FireStik antenna FireStik FG3648 3 Foot No-ground plane Coax CB Antenna kit.

I installed it my self, the hardest part was routing the coax cable.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

I bought a cobra with a weather channel and weather alert. Love the alert part if during the middle of the night some nasty weather is co0meing in it will sound the alarm and wake me up.

Antenna?? dont know if one is that much better than another but make sure you can get most of it above the roof line for best results
Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies. I think I will need a spring mount for those low lying tree branches. Wondering if that's ok with a NGP antenna.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I will need a spring mount for those low lying tree branches. Wondering if that's ok with a NGP antenna.
I have one on my antenna.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #6

Have the Cobra with weather channel. Worth the money. If you do not have any CB installation experience then it probably would be in your best interest to have a proffessional install and tune the set up
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I figured I would buy a CB with an SWR meter so I could tune it myself.
Is there any other reason I should have someone else install?
Short of rebuilding a transmission I do most of my own installs and repairs.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
John, all good replies here, just depends on what you like best. You cannot beat a Cobra(of your choice), you will get the best price @ a local Truck stop, such as Pilot etc. Right out of the box is a easy install. As for the antenna, I agree with a Firestik 3', except I chose the NGP without any mount, and ordered their M-2 sde mount, which is very neat when installed. I mounted mine between the windshield and driver door, close to the top of the door so I would have @ least 2/3rds of the antenna above the roof line. The antenna is flexabile enough that no spring is needed. Next time you see an 18 wheeler (one with fiberglass cab) look on the side of the upper cab and you will more than likely see the M-2 side mount, they are solid black. You see no wires when installed. Good luck, follow the yellow brick road safely.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wanabee FTer,
CB radios are a commodity technology. Buy which ever fits your needs an budget. The antenna system is the key to success. I agree on the Firestik suggestions. NGP is the way to go with a coach. They sell a spring to help with those low hanging branches. Go to
CB Antenna - 3' Firestick No Ground Plane Needed - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see a Firestik NGP installed on my coach. Then go to
Cobra_75_WX_ST_CB_Radio - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the Cobra radio installed. Then go to
CB Radio External Speaker With Ear Bud Jack - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the external speaker. Then go to
CB Radio Head Set - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the head set I wear when the CB is on.

The logic of this setup is I can wear the headset (only one ear is listening to the CB). Nobody but me needs to hear what is being said on the CB. I still have one ear open to internal coach noise.

Lastly, tune the radio with a "real" SWR meter. The ones that come built in to a radio are not trusted by me.

With this setup I can easily talk 8+ miles on the Interstate on channel 19. Besides the SWR meter, the way to check your transmission distance is to converse with one of the many business that are located at a specific exit. You know where they are and you know where you are (mile marker).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is a really nice set up Gary.
I like the side mount bracket for the firestik much better than the generic 3 way metal mount.
8 miles! Many years ago when I had a CB in my Van (showing my age) I felt lucky to have a range of 3-4 miles.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #11

I also have the cobra with weather channels and a windshield spring mounted antenna that is a thru the glass type. works good only for 1 or 2 miles.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
I bought this CB at Camping World Cobra Electronics - Cobra Mobile CB with Soundtracker - CBs - Camping World and then purchased this FireStik antenna FireStik FG3648 3 Foot No-ground plane Coax CB Antenna kit.

I installed it my self, the hardest part was routing the coax cable.
How good is that antenna and how far can talk on your CB, the reason I ask because I have a Wilson 2000 but I'm having ground problems maybe I need one of those antenna and I mounted it on the drivers mirror, where is everybody mounting they're antenna on class A RVs thanks Joe.
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Joe,
My understanding is a NGP (no ground plane) antenna is absolutely necessary when mounting to a fiberglass surface (Most RV's)
Regular CB antenna's use the vehicle's metal surface to extend the range of the antenna. With the NGP antenna mounted as high as possible above the roof line you should be able to have a talk range of up to 8 miles as per GaryKD's post.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
How good is that antenna and how far can talk on your CB, the reason I ask because I have a Wilson 2000 but I'm having ground problems maybe I need one of those antenna and I mounted it on the drivers mirror, where is everybody mounting they're antenna on class A RVs thanks Joe.
I don't know what the range of my CB is, I only use it to monitor the truckers channel. I side mounted the antenna, I will take a picture and post here today.