Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #1

Cell booster which one??

Guess I need to look for a cell / hotspot signal booster. There are a couple of brands out there and each one has several products. So i guess it comes down to 2 brands WeBoost and SolidRF. In each of those they run from a cradle to inside box that sits somewhere or mounts in the coach. Also directional antenna or a omni-directional i know the directional would be when stationary not sure if a hiogher gain directional is worth it.

I've seen WeBoost mentioned quite a bit but SolidRF looks like it has decent specs

Any and all expierence you can give is appreciated
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We boost , formerly Motorola is best and also they can help you with setup. The antenna (donor) is outside picking up the signal from a cell tower, wired into amplifier (booster), into interior antenna(server) sending signal into area. All of these part are important , so would be good to talk to supplier about the system.
camcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

Interesting question. I'll be watching.

I hear 5G is on the way, and current phones can't receive it. I wonder if these signal boosters can?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #4

Surecall is another one.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
When I got my WeBoost I had to decide on a model that is meant for cars, thus allowing switching on-the-fly between cell towers while driving or one for when I was just stationary. I'm not sure if there is still a difference, but it's another thing to consider. Directional antennas are only good if you know where to point them; and just because an antenna site is nearby it doesn't mean your carrier is on it (or that it is operational).
Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #6

SureCAll expierence??

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
Surecall is another one.
Snowman1, do you have expierence with Sure Call? If you do what's your opinion and thoughts? TIA
Old 01-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #7

Had the SureCall Fusion4Home model at home with Yagi directional antenna. Returned it for reasons I'll explain later. The booster on the Surecall is metal and well built, with adjustable gains for the various networks. The Weboost booster is plastic with auto gain. Lots of Youtube comparison videos on the signal boosters.

Here's why I returned it. You literally have to be within a few feet of the indoor antennas for these things to work. They advertise these devices of being able to boost the signal in a 3000+ sq ft house which is misleading if not flat out false. We would have had to install multiple indoor antennas throughout the house to have coverage. Because we already have a marginal 4G signal of 108-112 dbi, we decided to return it. That, and they are tricky to set up because of the outdoor and indoor antennas interfering with each other. You need to have x amount feet of vertical as well as horizontal spacing between the antennas.

That being said, we did see a 50 dbi gain with the Surecall but you had to be right next to the antenna. Not sure if I'll install one in the coach because of the antenna spacing requirements and the remote areas we go without cell coverage. You have to have a cell signal to boost for these things to work.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #8

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
Had the SureCall Fusion4Home model at home with Yagi directional antenna. Returned it for reasons I'll explain later. The booster on the Surecall is metal and well built, with adjustable gains for the various networks. The Weboost booster is plastic with auto gain. Lots of Youtube comparison videos on the signal boosters.

Here's why I returned it. You literally have to be within a few feet of the indoor antennas for these things to work. They advertise these devices of being able to boost the signal in a 3000+ sq ft house which is misleading if not flat out false. We would have had to install multiple indoor antennas throughout the house to have coverage. Because we already have a marginal 4G signal of 108-112 dbi, we decided to return it. That, and they are tricky to set up because of the outdoor and indoor antennas interfering with each other. You need to have x amount feet of vertical as well as horizontal spacing between the antennas.

That being said, we did see a 50 dbi gain with the Surecall but you had to be right next to the antenna. Not sure if I'll install one in the coach because of the antenna spacing requirements and the remote areas we go without cell coverage. You have to have a cell signal to boost for these things to work.
Thanks Snowman great info ! I really wanted to hear expierence like that because there are so many things out there that pitch they are the latest and greatest. Last summer i felt i was missing something because thinking being in southern maine i would have good cell coverage. Going back again for afew weeks and thought i needed to add a booster. After studying now i think it just was overload of the whole cell service there.

Thanks again snowman