Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #1

Cell/Data Boost for Home and RV

Maybe this has been answered already, but....

My job has the potential to be mobile and I can work from our home and while on the road. Cell service at our house is spotty - maybe 1-2 bars on Verizon. Right now we use a cell booster from Verizon, but it requires an internet connection to work - and it eats up bandwidth on our already poor internet connection. And I can't take it on the road.

So I would like to find an alternative to our crapppy land-based internet service. I have been looking at the weboost (Wilson) boosters and I could use some help choosing the right unit.

I would like to be able to use it in our house while at home, but also be able to put it in our coach for traveling. Can one unit do both or would I need two completely seperate units - one for the house and one for the RV? From what I have read the RV has to be completely stationary to use one of the home units and I think I would be OK with that.

Also, what else do I need to purchase to make all of this work...extra antennas, power supplies, boosters/repeaters, etc.

I don't mind spending some money because it is for work, but I can't get too crazy either

Does this make sense, or am I showing my ignorance and need to read up some more on the subject?? I'm fairly new to all of this and I am NOT an IT guy. All I know is that I need a fairly strong signal to access our company network remotely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
daoelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #2

No.. you're on the right track only you're still on the same track.

Dish network (and I think Direct tv) offer internet over the satellite. Then you can be anywhere.

update.. just checked with Direct.. it's an option but they do have it.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Dish network (and I think Direct tv) offer internet over the satellite. Then you can be anywhere.
Actually, neither of those companies offer Internet service. They partner with Exede or Hughes for service, but in almost all cases the service from those companies is not suitable for RV use. It's spot beamed Ka band service that requires a technician and NOC intervention to move to a new location.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #4

Is it that tough to aim the dish for it, or is there some other reason it doesn't work?

When I had Dish, I had an extra dish that would take me 20-30 seconds to dial in to watch tv from the campsite. Is it different from that?
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, it's harder to aim. Uplink (not just downlink) and narrower beam since it's Ka band.

Also, it's spot beamed service, which has a host of other implications.

It's just not the same.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

At least at home have you checked out a DSL line from the phone company as an alternative?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #7

Daoelker,
Thanks for asking the question. I also want to ditch my cable/phone/Internet provider (TWC) And like you, my Verizon signal is poor at home . I get internet via my Verizon data plan when I'm traveling. So now I'm looking at just finding something to boost my 4G signal which I can use at home or on the road.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Daoelker,
Thanks for asking the question. I also want to ditch my cable/phone/Internet provider (TWC) And like you, my Verizon signal is poor at home . I get internet via my Verizon data plan when I'm traveling. So now I'm looking at just finding something to boost my 4G signal which I can use at home or on the road.
The base problem with cell phone based data is the cost if you use it much. OTOH check out DSL in your area. I have both DSL and TWC right now because TWC became so crappy that I decided to try DSL for $20/mo over the regular phone bill. TWC for internet is around $55. I'm getting ready to dump cable. I would have already but she has to change her email. DSL download speeds are the same as TWC in real life (not speed test but downloading a big file.) Reliability is better and latency is better.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

We were in Bond Falls, Upper Michigan, last month, suffering with spotty, almost unusable internet.

We took a ride to town and picked up a Wilson 3G car cell phone booster ( No 4G in stock ). I hooked it up and we had usable, ( 2 bar ) internet for the few days there. It cradles the phone, that I set up as a hot spot.

It cost us $75.00. I wasn't ready to spend $400.00 for the house system.

I ran the wire out the door, to stick the magnetic antenna on my Class C hood. Surprise, it's fiberglass. I stuck it on the edge of the fender, and it worked, for the 3 days. We haven't used it since.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #10

daoelker,

There are several different types, strengths & costs, for cell boosters. Most of us who travel fulltime in an RV now rely on cell for phone & internet. Of course the signal strength varies in each location, and out west in a few very remote locations there is no signal. A booster only works where there is some signal to start with.
The most popular is the Wilson (weboost) Sleek coupled with a good external antenna. There are several online stores that explain & sell such products, here is one 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, 3G/4G Antennas, 3G/4G Amplifiers & Boosters, Data Cards, WiFi, Data, IP Switch & CloudCam
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might just consider one cell booster unit for each since your really want different antennas and power supplies. But you could certainly get away with a single unit.

To get the best reception, you need a good antenna.
A Wilson Truckers Roof Mount for the RV, and a outside mount for the house.

These boosters actually receive the cell signal, and then rebroadcast it inside the coach. The cradle type has a built in antenna, but only works with one phone at a time which must be in the cradle.
The units for multiple phones hasvea limited range, so your phone smust be within 15 ft or so (check the manual).

And they can only make a weak signal stronger....won't work if there is no signal.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
daoelker,

I'm a working fulltimer (software developer) and I have had good results with the Wilson Sleek and Verizon (in the west).

There are now several amplifier options and I think the answer to your home and RV use question is that it depends on what you purchase. Most of the amplifiers and easily transferred from home to RV but there are a few (I believe) that are more permanently mounted. That would obviously present a problem. If you purchase the former, yes, you can use it from anywhere. As already stated, you have to watch your data usage to avoid overage charges. This isn't hard but some are not familiar with some of the tricks so a little research may be necessary.