Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cell GPS CB radio integration?

Does anyone know of an audio switcher that has inputs for audio from a cell phone, GPS system, CB radio, and AM/FM/Sirius radio and can have priorities set for playback from the devices? For example, I am driving alone following the Rand McNally RVND 7710 GPS system instructions while listening to a Sirius radio program, the CB radio is also on so I can listen for any interesting or important road info (crash just ahead, flash flood, cattle on the road, etc.) from truckers/motorists, and I want to answer a phone call. What will allow the CB radio to break in when a CB broadcast louder than the squelch setting is received, or a cell phone call will interupt the audio from other devices?

Newmar installs a Jensen JRV 210 Sirius radio in my RV that lacks Blue Tooth reception, or enough aux inputs to switch the audio signals in a priority order I would like. It is connected to the Sony (120 volt) 5.1 surround sound system for great audio playback but lacks intelligent switching of inputs.

Thanks
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

I believe you are asking for too much.
Some GPS have bluetooth for your phone. Not sure about CB but I would not expect much there and sat radio is pretty much a radio but might also be able to be over ridden by the phones bluetooth. Otherwise, not so much.
I sounds like you have found the Nirvana of mobile communications and should works quickly to create such a setup and the the patent in the works.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have not seen one, Most of the switchers I have seen rely on some kind of switch press to switch between sources.

However.. It would not be all that hard to design and build one. In theory I have the skills.. Though I've never tried it.. Check out local Ham Radio Operators. Many of the older ones will have the skills.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my jensen dash unit will interrupt for cell calls, through blue tooth.
but like you everything else is drowned out or i have to hurriedly switch something off

would be interesting to have four things be sequenced to answer up
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might have to build this thing yourself....

AudioBox

These things are often called audio duckers, but the commercial ones can get expensive. This is a niche market.

There is a device like a Rolls DU30b Ducker, but you would have to cascade these for multiple inputs: http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_DU30b.pdf

RDl makes one also, only two channel input: ST-VP2 Automatic Ducking Module
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Google search on the words:

automatic electronic audio switch

and see if there is something there that meets your needs or can be modified to meet your needs.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not been able to find one device to do it all, even the in-dash navigation systems with BlueTooth.

I have been thinking about using an audio mixer like an 8 channel Mackie that would mix all of the sound sources and adjust the volume of the CB and Cell phone higher so when I heard from them I could push the "Solo" button and quiet the other channels and hear what I thought may be important. When done push the same button again and resume normal playback (whatever that is). The only thing is where to put even a compact mixer near the driver where reaching for and pushing the right button would not be a significant distraction while driving. Then there is the problem of making the cockpit look like an audio mixing studio.

A Parrot MKi9200 is another device that would be a compromise, and less ugly than an exposed mixer with all the cords, knobs, sliders.

I just received the Rand McNally RVND7110 and it lacks BlueTooth capability, but after a half hour of trying it I sort of like the RV specific information versus a Pioneer in-dash navigation system with blue tooth.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alvinc, your Audio Box is on the right track but I am afraid it is a little too complicated for me. I was hoping to find something used in other applications that could be used in a RV.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #9

A ducking amp is the only thing that will do what you want, and you need one for every source you want to prioritize.

Other than that spread speakers around end let your brain to the prioritization.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
Alvinc, your Audio Box is on the right track but I am afraid it is a little too complicated for me. I was hoping to find something used in other applications that could be used in a RV.
You might dig into the site a little more, it looks like he is offering them for sale. Check out the link partway down the page.

Finally, The AudioBox!
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, radio