Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #29

I'm not to clear on the tethering either. My assumption based on the word "tether" was that tethering involved a physical connection between the phone and the computer vice a wireless connection. At any rate the Verizon wireless connection works fine but it does require the 29.95 mobile package with includes the internet and other goodies of that type. I find now that I am not even using my computer very often because I can access my email, homepage, and even IRV2 forum just using my phone. As long as i have my reading glasses i can navigate fine. Fortunately you can enlarge the print. All that and it even thats pretty fine pictures and movies!

The other option is using a USB modem from Verizon, Sprint, AT&T... Up until the time I got the new phone that was the method I used for an internet connection. That worked fine also and we had service virutally everywhere we had cell phone usage. The cost worked out about the same as having two phones with 3G connectivity. It is costing us in the area of $130 per month for two phones with full services.

Thanks

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940 ford View Post
That's what I have and it works best where I live full time. But when traveling I can't use my laptop all the time as WIFI isn't always available.
I apologize if i am in the wrong thread.....but I do not understand.
You do not need wifi if you have a phone signal and the software to tether.
If you have the software with a phone that is tetherable.. then all you need is a phone signal....again..you would not have to be in an area that has wifi.
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logthumper View Post
Most of the time we are at campgrounds which have WI-FI. I have always made good connections with the use of either a 8dBi or 15dBi external antenna. However occasionally we stay at Corp of Engineers campgrounds where there is no WI-FI.
A few years back I purchased the “Mobile Office” package from Verizon which used the Cell Phone as the modem and for the limited need, it worked fine. Then they turned that service off. I then used “Road Runner when Traveling” which also used the Cell Phone as the modem but last year they discontinued that service.
Is there another way to connect to the Internet by using a Cell Phone as I have in the past? If there is, please advise and how it is setup. For now my need is so limited that I am not interested in an Internet Card or MI-MI card.
Thanks
go to June Fabrics PDA Technology Group and see if they have a download for your phone. If so then for a small one time fee and no monthly charges you will be able to get full blown internet on your laptop via your phone. I have been using their program for years perfectly. I cannot be without it. I am in a campground in the woods and very poor phone signal and they do not have wifi. I got a wilson electronics cell phone signal booster and that gave my cell phone a strong signal that not only allowed me to make clearer calls but strong enough to drive my computer and allow the phone to tether to it and get me the internet on my laptop. As long as i can get a good phone signal with the use of the software i can tether and get full blown internet just like any desktop. good luck
Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
tethering is just connecting your cell phone to your laptop.( not all phones can be tethered) It can be wireless (like bluetooth) or a small usb cable connection. To do this you need to have a software program. If you have it from your service provider then they usually charge a monthly fee. You can also go to June Fabrics PDA Technology Group and download their software for a small one time cost and no monthly fees. ( do not brag about it to your service provider )
All you need is a phone that already has internet access on it...if so...then go to the june fabrics site and see if they have the software for your phone. once you get it set up you will be able to connect to the internet on your computer anywhere you get a good phone signal.....has nothing to do with wifi...you are basically making your own wifi most anywhere. and it will be full blown internet...not resized like some mobile apps...it will be just like your desktop...good luck and enjoy
Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
tethering is just connecting your cell phone to your laptop.( not all phones can be tethered) It can be wireless (like bluetooth) or a small usb cable connection. To do this you need to have a software program. If you have it from your service provider then they usually charge a monthly fee. You can also go to June Fabrics PDA Technology Group and download their software for a small one time cost and no monthly fees. ( do not brag about it to your service provider )
All you need is a phone that already has internet access on it...if so...then go to the june fabrics site and see if they have the software for your phone. once you get it set up you will be able to connect to the internet on your computer anywhere you get a good phone signal.....has nothing to do with wifi...you are basically making your own wifi most anywhere. and it will be full blown internet...not resized like some mobile apps...it will be just like your desktop...good luck and enjoy
I went to the site you posted the link to. With a standard phone that has internet capabilities, do I select "PdaNet for Windows Mobile"?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
I went to the site you posted the link to. With a standard phone that has internet capabilities, do I select "PdaNet for Windows Mobile"?

Thanks,
Dave
Hello;
you say standard phone..i do not know what that means.
In order to tether your phone you must be able to go on the internet first. If your phone is not capable of that then you cannot tether.
If your phone can and you said it is a Windows OS (operating system) then see if your phone model will work by going to the junefabrics site. If you cannot find your phone on their lists, then go to their support and email them. tell them which phone and operating system you have and they will instruct you accordingly. I hope i answered your question..if not...please ask...good luck and enjoy
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
--Quote (Originally by IamGadget)---
tethering is just connecting your cell phone to your laptop.( not all phones can be tethered) It can be wireless (like bluetooth) or a small usb cable connection. To do this you need to have a software program. If you have it from your service provider then they usually charge a monthly fee. You can also go to June Fabrics PDA Technology Group (http://www.JuneFabrics.com) and download their software for a small one time cost and no monthly fees. ( do not brag about it to your service provider )
Old 07-31-2010, 06:01 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
--Quote (Originally by IamGadget)---
tethering is just connecting your cell phone to your laptop.( not all phones can be tethered) It can be wireless (like bluetooth) or a small usb cable connection. To do this you need to have a software program. If you have it from your service provider then they usually charge a monthly fee. You can also go to June Fabrics PDA Technology Group (http://www.JuneFabrics.com) and download their software for a small one time cost and no monthly fees. ( do not brag about it to your service provider )
IamGadget

Thanks for your info. I just purchased a Droid X and June Fabrics software and it works great.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Well I guess the solution I am looking for just does not exist anymore.

I did purchase a Verizon USB727 modem. The AZAccess Manager loaded easily and looks good. The USB727 did its thing when plugged into the laptop. Called Customer Service and opened an Mobile Broadband account for the USB727. May not ever use but it is there if there is no WiFi around and it is needed.

Did not want to go with a long term contract $59.99 per month for 5 GB ($175.00 early termination charge).
If and when I use it, I will go with the $50.00 per month (prepaid) for 1 GB which is good for 1 month or when 1 GB is used, and then must be renewed again if needed. No long term contract is involved.
The Verizon USB727 modem has an External Antenna Port for an external antenna. If needed, this allows using an external antenna with or without my Wilson 3 watt booster.
The Verizon Air Card 2200 will do the same thing and has some interesting features, it also uses the same Mobile Broadband Plan, but does not have a provision for the use of an External Antenna which I felt for my limited use and the remote areas of use could be of greater value.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Logthumper

i am a bit confused as to your situation...I am not in the business so i do not really know much about the all the various modems and setups.
I am not clear in what you are looking for..
Does your cell phone have the ability to access the internet ( on your phone) and what OS system is your phone? ie windows, android, palm, etc.
Let me know this and what you are trying to do...maybe i can help...good luck and enjoy, allen aka gadget
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
My problem has been solved. Thanks to everyone for all the info
Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logthumper View Post
My problem has been solved. Thanks to everyone for all the info
Glad to hear you solved your problem....good luck...and enjoy, allen aka gadget
Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
Tom,
I search for WM WifiRouter and the one I found says it only works on Windows Mobile phones. So is the HTC imago a Windows based form or if it is an Android phone how can I find the application you are using.
Hello
as another member stated re JuneFabrics.com they have program called pdaNet. I use it with my Android phone and works perfectly. I had used it when i had a Treo ( Palm OS ) i have enjoyed their software for several years. and no complaints. go to their site and read about it and if you like to try it...download and enjoy. Good Luck allen aka Gadget
Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
itdave - Sorry it took long to respond. The imagio phone is windows mobile based.

Logthumper - I would suggest you get the 'unlimited' data plan.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote