Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Question Cell Signal Booster for both TT and TV?

I am looking for a cell signal booster that I can use in both the TV when we drive around during the day and the TT in the evenings. Is there such a creature out there or is it necessary to purchase two separate boosters?
BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 05:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethV View Post
I am looking for a cell signal booster that I can use in both the TV when we drive around during the day and the TT in the evenings. Is there such a creature out there or is it necessary to purchase two separate boosters?
BethV
Any cell signal booster designed to be used in cars and trucks can also be used in both your TV and your TT.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on the booster model moving it between vehicles isn't a problem but the antenna could be. I have a cradle booster that fits in a cup holder and is powered with a standard 12VDC plug. Easy to disconnect the antenna cable and power to move if a want but my antenna is permanently mounted to my coach.

If you have one bar without the booster you could gain two bars with but a booster can't change 3G data into 4G LTE and can't boost no signal. Don't expect miracles. Getting a signal while traveling the interstates usually isn't a problem but head off the beaten trail and you can loose everything.

I'm using a Wilson Amplifier Sleek model and called them first to get the right combination of amp and antenna for my set up and carrier. I'll keep my phone in the booster cradle and set it up as a hot spot and for use by our second phone to make WiFi calls and data. I also Blue Tooth to the coach dash radio for Amazon music, iHeart radio or Pandora. Streamed a Netflix movie once but HD ate a lot of you data allowance.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Depending on the booster model moving it between vehicles isn't a problem but the antenna could be. I have a cradle booster that fits in a cup holder and is powered with a standard 12VDC plug. Easy to disconnect the antenna cable and power to move if a want but my antenna is permanently mounted to my coach.

I'm using a Wilson Amplifier Sleek model and called them first to get the right combination of amp and antenna for my set up and carrier. I'll keep my phone in the booster cradle and set it up as a hot spot and for use by our second phone to make WiFi calls and data. I also Blue Tooth to the coach dash radio for Amazon music, iHeart radio or Pandora. Streamed a Netflix movie once but HD ate a lot of you data allowance.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/
I understand that I can't create a signal from nothing .

I have been looking at the Wilson Amplifiers and saw where the weBoost Drive 4G-X couldn't handle the space reqs of a TT. I was wondering if I set up an internal network and kept my cell as a hot spot next to the 4G-X - would this provide my TT with a functioning network for our other devices. I would prefer not to have the distance requirement but it looks like that is what I may need to do.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the limitations and possibilities while trying to find the best solution for us.

So the 2nd and more important question (in my mind) is moving the amplifier between TV and TT. I haven't seen an option purchase a second set of antennas to make it easier to walk the amplifier between locations. Is this a dead end track (creating two antenna setups)?

I am will to purchase 1 high cost high value amplifier that meets our needs, but not 2...
Old 03-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

On line retailera like Solid Signal sell a number of portavle boosters or amplifiers. Bought one several years ago specifically for use in the trailer. Works just fine. 4G is now the norm, but not in remote locations. So my 3G amp is fine.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

I would consider a cradle solution. Not only will they run on cigarette lighter in your TV, but it can also be plugged into the cigarette lighter plug for the television inside the trailer. The trick for the cradles is that the antenna usually needs to be about 6ft or more from the cradle itself and outside is ideal, so if you have a way to run the antenna wire out a window or door, you can put it on the roof of the trailer or maybe even the roof of the TV if it is close enough. The antenna wire is fairly thin and some people can even close their door over the wire. The cradle based solutions are also quite a bit cheaper (about half the cost). The only issue with a cradle is that you need to use speaker phone or an ear piece as you cannot put the cradle up to your ear to make a call, but that is not an issue when using a hotspot. I did a write up of the benefits of both styles of boosters in my blog Choosing a Cellular Amplifier for your RV | RV Tech with RVRob
rwbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 AM   #7

RWBradley, Really good article, thank you!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

Beth, here's my setup which would work for you. Wilson 4G-X. I have two power supplies, a 12V I leave in the truck and a 120v (since I have an inverter) in the Trailer. The trailer could also be another 12V.

Magnetic antenna on the truck. For the trailer you could also do a mag mount (but needs to be mounted to a piece of metal for a ground plane) with the wire coming in a window or door to the booster. Or do a permanent mount antenna on the roof with the wire coming to the the booster location. Exterior antenna needs to be far enough away from the inside antenna so that you don't get interference (oscillation) which can happen. If you see any red lights, rather than the standard green, on the WeBoost then you need some more separation. Same whether it is the tow vehicle or the trailer.

Then use the the supplied interior candy bar antenna in the car, and purchase another one for inside the trailer. Cell phone as a hot spot close to the candy bar and you are good to go.

Three connections to disconnect/reconnect. Power plug, outside antenna, inside antenna. Pretty quick.

For best power/etc. do the 4G-X. Good reviews and excellent customer service from WeBoost.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 AM   #9

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Beth, here's my setup which would work for you. Wilson 4G-X. I have two power supplies, a 12V I leave in the truck and a 120v (since I have an inverter) in the Trailer. The trailer could also be another 12V.
For best power/etc. do the 4G-X. Good reviews and excellent customer service from WeBoost.
Thank you, I am glad to see this as it is what I finally arrived at for most optimal solution. Everything is ordered and on its way. That being said, I ordered a 6V power supply. Do you have any issues with overheating using the 12V? I saw where weBoost sent the 12V out initially but changed it to the 6V power supply. I had to wonder if the 12V wasn't a better choice but they backed off due to the mere possibility of heat "issues" (being such a litigious society).

Wondering mind here
Old 03-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #10

By 12V I meant the supply side, 12V outlet in the truck. I have 12V outlets in my trailer along with the 120V AC. Output to the WeBoost is 6V. And yes I had one of the original 12v output supplies and you could cook eggs on the 4G-X. WeBoost replaced the 4G-X without questions since it couldn't be determined if the over heating for several weeks would have a long term issue. Their support is fantastic. Good luck.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote