Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Changing from Dish to Direct TV

I installed the Traveler for Dish on our RV last year during a makeover. After looking at our bill and not watching most of the channels available we have decided to go with Direct TV and reduce our monthly bill by about 70%, new customer pricing structure. Problem is and I just checked with Winegard, they say I need to purchase a new dish for another $1400+. I figured that one you RVers have figured out a away to make this happen without changing the complete dish. It seems to me its all in the control box but I'm limited on electronics knowledge. Any input from this forum would be appreciated.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be interested in more details of your 70% savings by moving to Direct over Dish. I have checked pricing and find them fairly comparable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

I'd like to see the package pricing also.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
I installed the Traveler for Dish on our RV last year during a makeover. After looking at our bill and not watching most of the channels available we have decided to go with Direct TV and reduce our monthly bill by about 70%, new customer pricing structure. Problem is and I just checked with Winegard, they say I need to purchase a new dish for another $1400+. I figured that one you RVers have figured out a away to make this happen without changing the complete dish. It seems to me its all in the control box but I'm limited on electronics knowledge. Any input from this forum would be appreciated.
just buy a "tailgater"" style dish for 350$ as far as direct being 70% cheaper
I seriously doubt that s true and any savings will be the fist year or 6 month's as per usual per new customer introductory offers
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

there's a conversion kit for the traveler. The kit converts a direct tv dish to dish but i believe there's no kit to convert from dish to direct tv.
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

generally the difference in pricing is the initial 1 year DISCOUNT...
though if you're comparing the future overall pricing, they are probably very similar

I find that DISH has many more HD channels, and DISH portable units
have access to these HD channels, where DTV is only SD on their portable units.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #7

The other issue with the Direct TV versus Dish pricing deals with the number of times you can suspend Direct. We found we could only suspend twice a year and not for over half the year. As we are not full timers we were paying for significant periods of time when not using the service. We went with Dish so we could have the pay as you go on a monthly basis. We do not have Dish or Direct in our S&B.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

You could always go with a portable SL-2 antenna (dish) on a tripod with the new 3DRB LNB. This will allow you to receive all direct channels (400+) including the 4K channels. Now you can park under trees and still put the antenna out in the open. The HR-54 DVR will power the antenna, so no separate power supply is required. I would recommend a Satlooklite signal meter as it will power the antenna's LNB itself while locating the 101 sat signal. This usually a 2 minute procedure unless shooting through a small opening in the trees. All DirectV sats are close to the 101 location so no setting of skew or tilt. The 3DRB LNB is SWM and with the HR-54 can supply for TV with individual channels simultaneously through one RG-6 cable or wirelessly with a wireless bridge and wireless clients. All is usually provided free for new customers or upgrading customers with the exception of the tripod and meter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #9

As usual you guys are on top of it. After checking into the details they both fall out pretty much the same cost wise. Just frustrated with paying a lot for the little we watch the tube. Found out I can't go from Dish to Direct with my satellite dish so guess I'll squeeze them as much as I can to reduce the monthly cost and just live with it. Thanks for the quick replies. Happy Trails to all....
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #10

Quote:
As usual you guys are on top of it. After checking into the details they both fall out pretty much the same cost wise. Just frustrated with paying a lot for the little we watch the tube. Found out I can't go from Dish to Direct with my satellite dish so guess I'll squeeze them as much as I can to reduce the monthly cost and just live with it. Thanks for the quick replies. Happy Trails to all....
If there was an option to pay only for the channels you watch; a lot of channels would cease to exist.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #11

Dish Network has a Build Your Own TV Package that you can somewhat tailor your available channels to what you watch. You start with a base package, then add on options.

https://www.dish.com/build-a-package/
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #12

Quote:
I just checked with Winegard, they say I need to purchase a new dish for another $1400+. I figured that one you RVers have figured out a away to make this happen without changing the complete dish.
Winegard was correct. You cannot convert a DirectTV Winegard Travler to a DISH Winegard Travler.

Your DirecTV savings just evaporated.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Did you ever ask them for a discount on your monthly bill? I've gotten $40 knocked off my monthly bill for 6 months just by asking. I've done that twice and will do it again next month. I've been with Dish since the mid '90's and I remind them of that. I've gotten my upgrade fees waived going from SD to a Hopper 2, and now a Hopper 3. When I added an external harddrive to my motorhome receiver (211K), they waived the fee.

Ask for the loyalty desk if need you need to.

Dish is way better than AT&T/Direct TV.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

It is all a matter of how many channels you want. The Dish Flex packages are extremely competitively priced, but there are less channels,
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish