RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cheap SD carry out satellite dish and tripod?

Hi all,

We have a roof mounted satellite dish which I've always regretted getting since we're often parked under trees and rarely have line of sight (newbie RV mistake that one) so we're looking for a cheap SD carry out and solid tripod mount (good with wind). Any ideas?
We don't need HD, but would like something relatively easy to setup and aim. Fairly compact would be nice too. Cheap is preferred. I know nothing about the carry outs.

Nina
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

We use a Vu-Cube. Not really cheap but easy to set up. If you use a di-plexer on both ends of you cable input, you can use both the sat. TV as well as cable at the same time. (Good if you have only 1 sat receiver)
tgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I have Dish Network and I just bought a dish 1000 dish on a tripod for $140 online, its easy to set up and works great in most conditions even a moderate wind. JR
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

We have dealt with the same problem for years. Trees are nice but- we use a DirecTV tripod mount dual LMB dish. Will not deliver HD, but it will support the Direc DVR. I can usually get it aimed in just a couple of minutes with a signal meter and mag compass. I also just installed a compass app on my iPod, but have not tried it yet. I secure the tripod with some long gutter nails and that keeps it in place. I keep two 50 CAT6 cable sections and that has been enough. I hard wired in cable from the tuner to an outlet in the electrical compartment, thus no cables stuck through a window. Actually, I used the existing external cable connection with the second cable pulled in beside it. If you don't have a DVR, you might be able to get by with one CAT 6. Those tripods and the dish are not expensive. Got mine free from an installer.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Craigslist...got a dish, lnb, tripod on a roadtrip to DFW a couple of year's ago for about $50...setting it up is not super easy, but its not super hard either, just need a cheap little sat finder and settings and you are good to go! We went HD as our receiver is HD, works well in a pinch.
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #6

Brand new on the market
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452276.pdf
Check it out from winegard
Don
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nina,

If you have Dish Network check out the Tailgater. $349 through PPL motorhomes delivered.

Tailgater Satellite Dish - Portable HDTV Antenna - PPL Motor Homes

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #8

TV4RV.com has great tripods and kits.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Hi all,

We have a roof mounted satellite dish which I've always regretted getting since we're often parked under trees and rarely have line of sight (newbie RV mistake that one) so we're looking for a cheap SD carry out and solid tripod mount (good with wind). Any ideas?
We don't need HD, but would like something relatively easy to setup and aim. Fairly compact would be nice too. Cheap is preferred. I know nothing about the carry outs.

Nina
Our Winegard Carryout (599.00) works great. Hook it up, plug it in and Directv is there within two minutes. I Bought the tripod just to keep it out of the dirt. (59.00) Goodluck and Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Carryout and DISH Network. Just remember that there is no dome on the market that will receive more than one satellite at a time. The open face DUAL LNB systems will. I really like the Carryout, but I miss the full functionality of an open face.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tips. We have Direct TV and are considering getting a DVR so those tips were great. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PVC Pipe etc.

I had an old Terk dish laying around. No cost. But I had to replace the LNA - $15.

I built a 'Low down and upside down satellite stand' with about $10 worth of PVC pipe and a handful of nuts & wingnuts from Ace Hardware.

It is almost impervious to wind. We were in Morro Bay and there were 50MPH gusts that blew over everyone elses tripods but ours never had a problem. It was just sitting on the ground.

Once you learn how to aim it you rarely have a problem. Most of the time I get a signal with only a level and a compass. The receiver has a built in signal meter so that's really all you need.

Here's the link: RV NOW: RVers Turn Satellite TV Upside Down

I can send you pictures of my 'improvements' to this design next week if you want them.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #13

I have a winguard mp 1 and It's tripod . It's totally manual but after the first couple times it became real easy. I have never failed to get a signal. It's able to support 2 receivers at one time but no HD.
Blackcvpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws
I had an old Terk dish laying around. No cost. But I had to replace the LNA - $15.

I built a 'Low down and upside down satellite stand' with about $10 worth of PVC pipe and a handful of nuts & wingnuts from Ace Hardware.

It is almost impervious to wind. We were in Morro Bay and there were 50MPH gusts that blew over everyone elses tripods but ours never had a problem. It was just sitting on the ground.

Once you learn how to aim it you rarely have a problem. Most of the time I get a signal with only a level and a compass. The receiver has a built in signal meter so that's really all you need.

Here's the link: RV NOW: RVers Turn Satellite TV Upside Down

I can send you pictures of my 'improvements' to this design next week if you want them.
What a neat mod! Yes, definitely would love some pics of the improvements. This is the kinda cheap and practical I'm looking for. How do you actually secure the dish inside the PVC pipe? I see the basics of putting the "tripod" together, but couldn't really see that last part.