Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Choose different carrier for hotspot?

Our RV came with a Winegard Connect 2.0 installed.

We have ATT on our phones so I am thinking about getting Verizon for the Winegard so that we are more apt to have coverage, presuming that coverage is somewhat different between carriers.

Does this make sense? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
David

2021 Thor Quantum LH26
VH1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #2

Yes, having dual carriers for data is still beneficial. (IMO, not as much as it was 10-15 years ago, as between ATT & Verizon, the coverage areas are much closer in alignment then they were back then. But certainly still worth having 'Multiple tools in your Internet Data Tool Box!'.)

It's becoming more of a toss up between now ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile (Post Sprint Merger.) - as far 'which' carriers to go with.

I've found that the RVMOBILEINTERNET is a worthy investment, especially at least for a year - as you research and establish your path forward. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com

You also need to ask 'How much Internet Data do we need?'. If doing casual surfing, paying bills, checking Google Maps - and of course IRV2... Then that's not a heavy Internet Data demand. But if you plan to Stream via Smart TV, AppleTV or ROKU - then much larger volumes of Gigabit Data, as well as capability of 'High Download Speeds' will be required.

The reference site has some, actually can be somewhat overwhelming, data available... But Top Picks for Data Plans and Hardware, along with some comprehensive Spread Sheet Comparisons - can simplify this. I don't know if they still do this, think they do, but you can also sign up for some extra help on a one-on-one basis.

===

All that being said. A KISS, and not real expensive option for Verizon Internet Dat is the VISIBLE plan... (Very long thread in the very section of IRV2, with toward the last 10-15 pages or so, a solid summary of key things.). Sure not too heavy of an investment to try that, and see how it goes...

Be aware, that it's very easy to Geek Out on this stuff, and spend mega funds too... It all comes down to How Much Data you need, and how far away from larger cities and Interstates you plan to travel... (Further away, more 'hardware goodies opportunities' to obtain Useable Download Speeds (And for those who need it for work, hobbies, gaming Upload too!).)

I'll stop here... And wish you luck. If you know some of the answer on how you think you will be using Internet Data - post more info and it will allow more finite answers to the question you've posted... Some very knowledgeable people monitor this section of IRV2, and are very generous in sharing their thoughts..

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have spent a small fortune in 3years finding a solution that works for travel and my rural home..

Travel , this year.. PA- to AZ, CA, IA,WA,ID, RT80 north and PA to FL on 81/95

ATT did not let me down except here in PA and a spot in IOWA.. Verizon)visible) was marginal in IOWA and one place in OHIO also..
I did leave the nighthawk on from PA-AZ as a buddy for wifi call to my verizon phone.. It was decent..

Now at my RURAL HOME.. I have tried so MANY,, ATT TOWER is in site when leaves fall.. IT has a sector of T Mobil that my house splits, under 8med DL at best
Verizon has towers 8 from 3.5 miles to 13... I can walk my property and have no signal to 3 bars.. Data is marginal as is phone.. I keep a cheap Tmobile phone as emergrncy Mint service 283 a year with tax, 5gig data .. phone works well even as a international samsund s21..
SO I recently tested t mobile , home unlimited, that shows my house as 5g pink ready.. NOT returned..
I have 2 ATT sims, $55 100gig prepay data.. Not bad but tower get slammed now and then.. The other ATT is from a popular RV servce etc,,, It has a 200gig and then limited a bit.. I have it cacled but it is up til 9/14.. 20-55DL 2-8Up.. in there unit,
I have a new Cat20 5g modem from another company, That ATT card, either one, grabs 5G , 40-70DL 18-30up.. still some peak issues,,
The modem deal cam with Verizon 5G service.. 900gig , speeds are 15-55 , I have 4 towers locked at LTE and get 20-30 DL 6-12up all day

I just switched to the ATT in the 5G modem while i wrote this, 78-105DL, 17-24up.. 8pm eastern.. not bad..

The Cat20 modem has been the game changer.. it cost as much as startlink RV.. I just need to remove trees or put starlink on roof..

Now that new 5g modem 5 miles away in town is insane. 100+DL all day, I loaned to my worker to test, he onlt has DSL, he is getting this since Verizom tower is on his property LOL

Good luck on a choice.. IMO a good modem and good provider that can offer more than one card..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #4

Choose different carrier for hotspot?

Yes. That makes sense. We have All 3 major carriers to cover all bases. T-Mobile hotspot, Visible on Verizon on one phone, and AT&T on another phone. Rare to be someplace where none of them work.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That makes good sense. No carrier is best everywhere.

Every carrier has an area they need more coverage in.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
I have spent a small fortune in 3years finding a solution that works for travel and my rural home..\
Good info - thanks.

You may not believe this, but I know where Meshoppen is without looking at a map. My mother's family was centered in Canton and I have (had, as of last year) an uncle who lived in Tunkhannock (was a safety engineer at P&G in Mehoopany), and also a cousin who lived in Dallas for many years (moved to FL a few years ago but also passed away last year - not more than two months after his father).

Beautiful part of the country. Not a beautiful as Vermont, of course, but in the top 40 for sure!

Cheers!

2021 Thor Quantum LH26
Old 08-25-2022, 04:44 AM   #7

We use T-Mobile and ATT phone for hot spot or back up as needed. We purchased the ATT SIM card online for $25/month and are using it less and less. Still believe that more than one carrier will take care of most problem areas.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #8

And I believe Dish is entering the mix
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
And I believe Dish is entering the mix
As in, using Satellite? That would be very intriguing to me, as 90%+(??) I think our cell phones would have adequate connection, but it would be really nice to have 100% (apart from occasional/short term weather related events) service available.

2021 Thor Quantum LH26
Old 08-25-2022, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH1982 View Post
As in, using Satellite? That would be very intriguing to me, as 90%+(??) I think our cell phones would have adequate connection, but it would be really nice to have 100% (apart from occasional/short term weather related events) service available.
Dish is setting up its own terrestrial cellular network, it's not not satellite based.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Yes. That makes sense. We have All 3 major carriers to cover all bases. T-Mobile hotspot, Visible on Verizon on one phone, and AT&T on another phone. Rare to be someplace where none of them work.
That is exactly what we do, and I'd say the t-mobile sim in the winegard is the most reliable connection of the 3. the Verizon and Att devices are iPhones
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
That is exactly what we do, and I'd say the t-mobile sim in the winegard is the most reliable connection of the 3. the Verizon and Att devices are iPhones

Yeah… only wish the T Mobil home internet sim would work in another device other than the Nokia (aka trash can) device.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:22 PM   #13

I have Verizon and am using an iPhone. Can somebody explain to a semi knowledgeable
Senior Citizen what setting up my iPhone as a "Hotspot" accomplishes?
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoDad View Post
I have Verizon and am using an iPhone. Can somebody explain to a semi knowledgeable
Senior Citizen what setting up my iPhone as a "Hotspot" accomplishes?
It becomes a WiFi router.

This allows you to connect another device (such as a laptop, tablet or phone [that, perhaps, has a locally non-supported cellular carrier]) to the internet.

2021 Thor Quantum LH26