Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach temperature monitor for safe pets?

What do you use to monitor the temperature in the coach to keep the pets safe while you are out? I am looking at Temp Stick Pet Temperature Monitor that works on WiFi or hotspot. Anyone using this? Any issues to be aware of? This is our first MH experience and we are still learning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #2

I went with the Marcel, does not rely on internet, uses Verizon or t mobile. Plans are about 120.00 a year.... felt that this system is more reliable than internet...
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Likewise - went with Marcel - sensoredlife. Has worked great for two years. They have 3 mo, seasonal and yearly rates and it works Verizon or AT&T (went with AT&T because of wanting to go through Canada to Alaska). Doesn't rely on WiFi. Have not had an occasion where it did not work. Might be an issue boon docking in areas way away from civilization (or inside Yellowstone Park! ).
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginton View Post
I went with the Marcel, does not rely on internet, uses Verizon or t mobile. Plans are about 120.00 a year.... felt that this system is more reliable than internet...
Thanks for the reply. I looked at Marcel’s site and they don’t work with T-mobile, just Verizon and AT&T.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #5

A product called Waggle seems to be getting a lot of airplay.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #6

I’ve had a Temp Stick for almost 3 years. It has a couple minor quirks but works well. It connects to my RV’s WiFi router (WFR Spruce) that is tethered to both Verizon and AT&T mobile hot spots (load balanced or using hot standby). There’s no monthly fee for the Temp Stick, which is nice if one is already paying for cellular hotspot connections. Still, I tend to stay within a few minutes of the RV on hot days if the dog is in there.
ArloShmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloShmarlo View Post
I’ve had a Temp Stick for almost 3 years. It has a couple minor quirks but works well. It connects to my RV’s WiFi router (WFR Spruce) that is tethered to both Verizon and AT&T mobile hot spots (load balanced or using hot standby). There’s no monthly fee for the Temp Stick, which is nice if one is already paying for cellular hotspot connections. Still, I tend to stay within a few minutes of the RV on hot days if the dog is in there.
Thanks for your reply. I am leaning toward “the stick”. Still researching a bit more.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Have you looked at the micro-Air thermostat replacement. It is internet based (works with hotspot) and will not only allow you to see what the temperature in the coach is but also to turn on/off or choose any of your climate control options (Heat/Heat pump/AC or just fan) where applicable from your phone or tablet from virtually anywhere

We have one and absolutely love it for keeping track of the temperature inside the coach while away...... Yogi loves it too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driving RV.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	336370  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #9

Do you want control and data or just status?

K9 police cars have systems that on low end signal a pager like device, no cell phone, just a transmitter in the vehicle and a receiver to carry.

At the other end they start the vehicle and control the a.c..
Old 07-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have the Micro Air thermostats which are great but I also have RV Whisper and Temp Stick. All work great.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #11

I have a visible hotspot for $25.00 a month. Not perfect, but when it works/gets a signal it is totally adequate. Add to that a Govee H5051, it will notify me if the internal temperatures get out of the range that I have set. Then I have 2 Micro-aire Easy touch thermastats that will also send a notification and that I can turn on or off or adjust the temperature using my cell phone. Lastly I have a AGS system that will start the generator if the temps get to high, or the battery voltage gets to low.

Now this is not perfect, but pretty good. First the hotspot has to get a signal, if not I have to rely on campground wifi which I don't always trust. Then where ever I go I have to be able to get one of the notifications that are being sent from the Govee or the Micro-aire thermastats. No cell service no notifications!

In most situations if I have shore power from the campground at least one of my AC units will be running probably both. If I loose shore power and it gets to warm or cold the AGS will start and the AC/or heat will come on using generator power. I tested the system and the thermostats will turn on the AC units when the AGS starts the generator. Lastly I have to rely on cell service to receive my notifications, but I can check both the Govee and the thermostats from my cell phone anytime I get cell service. This is not 100% guaranteed to not have any thing fail, but it is pretty good. My last line of defense is my phone number is written on the MH door stating that dogs are inside with a AGS system and to please call if there are any problems.

So far I have not lost campground Shore power. I also know that My AGS will kick in pretty quickly. Sometimes you just have to plan for the worst, and hope for the best.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Do you want control and data or just status?

K9 police cars have systems that on low end signal a pager like device, no cell phone, just a transmitter in the vehicle and a receiver to carry.

At the other end they start the vehicle and control the a.c..
Thinking just temp monitoring. If it is even a little warm, we will have the air cons running. I am hoping to set up AGS too. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
I have a visible hotspot for $25.00 a month. Not perfect, but when it works/gets a signal it is totally adequate. Add to that a Govee H5051, it will notify me if the internal temperatures get out of the range that I have set. Then I have 2 Micro-aire Easy touch thermastats that will also send a notification and that I can turn on or off or adjust the temperature using my cell phone. Lastly I have a AGS system that will start the generator if the temps get to high, or the battery voltage gets to low.

Now this is not perfect, but pretty good. First the hotspot has to get a signal, if not I have to rely on campground wifi which I don't always trust. Then where ever I go I have to be able to get one of the notifications that are being sent from the Govee or the Micro-aire thermastats. No cell service no notifications!

In most situations if I have shore power from the campground at least one of my AC units will be running probably both. If I loose shore power and it gets to warm or cold the AGS will start and the AC/or heat will come on using generator power. I tested the system and the thermostats will turn on the AC units when the AGS starts the generator. Lastly I have to rely on cell service to receive my notifications, but I can check both the Govee and the thermostats from my cell phone anytime I get cell service. This is not 100% guaranteed to not have any thing fail, but it is pretty good. My last line of defense is my phone number is written on the MH door stating that dogs are inside with a AGS system and to please call if there are any problems.

So far I have not lost campground Shore power. I also know that My AGS will kick in pretty quickly. Sometimes you just have to plan for the worst, and hope for the best.
Thanks for the info. We are worried about how many things have to be working properly for any system to be reliable. WiFi and or phone signal at the coach and wherever we are to be able to view the status. We are just starting our adventures and don’t know; is the country connected with enough network coverage where WiFi or cell is usually available?
Old 07-18-2021, 06:45 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MarCell.

Tags
monitor, temperature