Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coax Cable Thru Slide Out Seam

When at my space in Indio CA, I have to thread a coax cable into the coach for the Spectrum Cable TV box, modem, and router. Spectrum's excellent service is no extra charge as it is embedded in our monthlies thus desirable to use.

It is easy to do, just leave the slide out a few inches from full extension, thread the coax through the seam, then fully extend the slide out. It works but the coax gets a bit crimped. Is there a protective device for the cable in this situation? Is there another way to get a coax into the coach without drilling a connection through the coach's wall? Can't use the cable TV connection in the cargo bay, because that connection routes directly to each TV and doe snot allow routing to the Spectrum gear.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
righellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #2

I realize that in 20 years many things have changed in coach construction and wiring ; but ; doesn't your coach have a selector box in the AV cabinet , for cable or antenna fed to each TV in the coach ?

The selector box ( some times called the BOMB ; Box Of Many Buttons ) in my AV cabinet above the driver's seat, I was able to disconnect the park cable input , install a splitter and drop a cable for the router back down the windshield A pillar behind the molding and to the router under the dash.

When I used to carry a satellite dish , it required two coax to the receiver, and I routed both cables from the power cord compartment , along the frame to the front of the coach then followed the air horn supply tube up the A pillar for the receiver, in the AV cabinet .
Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #3

If it were my coach, I would hook the Spectrum coax to the satellite in connection in one of your bays. Then connect the other end of the coach satellite coax to your Spectrum box. No crimped coax, no wrinkled slide seal. Using the satellite in coax connection insures no splitters in the coax line in the coach since bi-directional transmission is required for satellite.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:40 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If it were my coach, I would hook the Spectrum coax to the satellite in connection in one of your bays. Then connect the other end of the coach satellite coax to your Spectrum box. No crimped coax, no wrinkled slide seal. Using the satellite in coax connection insures no splitters in the coax line in the coach since bi-directional transmission is required for satellite.
That was my first thought too. My coach has a single coax connection in a cargo bay. It routes to all the TVs to send a park's cable signal to each of the TVs.

The roof-mounted satellite dish is hardwired to a coax connection in the AV cabinet.

I'm not the only one in our Indio place that has to route through a window or slide-out. It appears this is an unanticipated scenario amongst the Class A motor coach makers.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I realize that in 20 years many things have changed in coach construction and wiring ; but ; doesn't your coach have a selector box in the AV cabinet , for cable or antenna fed to each TV in the coach ?

The selector box ( some times called the BOMB ; Box Of Many Buttons ) in my AV cabinet above the driver's seat, I was able to disconnect the park cable input , install a splitter and drop a cable for the router back down the windshield A pillar behind the molding and to the router under the dash.

When I used to carry a satellite dish , it required two coax to the receiver, and I routed both cables from the power cord compartment , along the frame to the front of the coach then followed the air horn supply tube up the A pillar for the receiver, in the AV cabinet .
It does not. All sources are hardwired to the connection points. I'm sure it is makes for better signals, less splitters, etc. But flexible it is not.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not just drill a hole?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:04 AM   #7

Get a lenght of flat coax.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220818-080233_Chrome.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	374004
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:15 PM   #8

On edit: I would also consider adding a permanent cable.

Rather than putting more on top of the current coax, which would just be adding thickness to the issue, I would opt to the flat coax. Many available at

Amazon
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You would think, as they build RV's, they would provide connections for "EVERYTHING". Coax, Sat and TV. BUT not all do. I opted for the "flat" coax through the window. In fact I have used 2 of these. One for a Tailgater & one for internet. Seems my coach only supports TV cable and nothing else. Its a Class C so it has no "splitter" box.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:11 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
You will be fine running the coax throughs the slide's seal. There is enough rubber there that it will work fine (as you have probably already found out).

Tiffin does a good job of running an external sat input for a tripod. I always recommend it when one needs an inside cable box.

No so much with Newmar or Integra. For such nice RVs I am always surprised they don't do this - even on their top line motorhomes. Go figure.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:26 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Get a lenght of flat coax.Attachment 374004
I di not know such a thing existed until yesterday when the guy in the next space suggested it. I ordered it yesterday. Thanks. Signal loss hopefully non-existent.

Tags
cable, slide, slide out