Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Since we purchase our IPad we rarely use our laptop, find it more convenient and space saving, so many good applications for RV, road map GPS, Banking, on line games, Skype works real great better than with our laptop, and IRV2 works great, maybe a thread already exist on this subject but I din't find it !!! What are your favourite iPad applications ? And like us are putting your laptop aside ???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

I'm looking to get either an iPad, a Chromebook, or a smaller laptop. Can't decide. My hesitation on the iPad is lack of keyboard, and some resistance to buy into the whole Apple thing...
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

I guess you can say that over time one application wins over the other......in this case, I thought I would not be able to do without the laptop......but as I got to using the Ipad more, it has been great as long as the apps are available to suit my needs.
So much to choose from.......it's mind numbing.

I just saw you input to this discussion Automobilist......they do have a keyboard that you can get for the Ipad, you can find the on ebay
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
I'm looking to get either an iPad, a Chromebook, or a smaller laptop. Can't decide. My hesitation on the iPad is lack of keyboard, and some resistance to buy into the whole Apple thing...
But you don't have to go with apple if you don't want to,there many other great tablets like Samsung, LG ..... I believe the applications are all similar
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #5

I side stepped the Ipad and bought an Android. Within a month, I was so frustrated with it, I put it up for sale and bought an Ipad.
It has the Sim Card so we can use it as our Hot Spot to connect the DW's Ipad and our other devices if WiFi is not available. When we travel across the border, we install a US Sim card and away we go.

This thing is so much better than the Android in all aspects. I find the more I use it, the less I am using my laptop. And, by using Itunes, you can sync data from your laptop to the Ipad.
As far as a key board, there is a plethora of choices from Apple a few others. DW has the Apple key board that also acts as a cover.

I am sure there are those who will shoot me down, but, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I side stepped the Ipad and bought an Android. Within a month, I was so frustrated with it, I put it up for sale and bought an Ipad.
It has the Sim Card so we can use it as our Hot Spot to connect the DW's Ipad and our other devices if WiFi is not available. When we travel across the border, we install a US Sim card and away we go.

This thing is so much better than the Android in all aspects. I find the more I use it, the less I am using my laptop. And, by using Itunes, you can sync data from your laptop to the Ipad.
As far as a key board, there is a plethora of choices from Apple a few others. DW has the Apple key board that also acts as a cover.

I am sure there are those who will shoot me down, but, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Well Dennis thanks for sharing, I will sure look for a keyboard cover, I would like to have more information about the US Sim card ,I am sure i could also use it !!! Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

We have had iPads since the first version and love them. DH uses his to do everything from banking to filing our income taxes. The book reader is awesome. I may never be able to read a paper book again because the ipad is so much easier on my eyes.

But...I am not quite ready to ditch my beloved laptop yet. I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro that I mostly use for photo editing. The iPad does not have the storage capability to manage all my 50K photos. I know that Apple is working on trying to get folks to upload pics to the Cloud, but I have way too many and don't want to pay for that kind of storage.

So...the answer is that if you don't use your laptop for things like graphic design, photography or intense data processing, a tablet would probably meet your needs and is much more convenient to travel with.
stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #8

For playing around on the internet I like my iPad 3. I have a small NetBook I use for some business applications I cant do with the iPad when on the road, my office I have a iMac.

I have had Android tablets but for me I prefer the iPad, maybe because I am used to it but I spend more time on that iPdad then anything. It's my iRV2 forums reader, my book, my internet searching tool and my TV at night. To prevent arguments about what to watch on the TV in our bedroom I llet the DW watch whatever whe wants. I plug in the Wifi headset and watch watever I like on the small screen in peace.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
Well Dennis thanks for sharing, I will sure look for a keyboard cover, I would like to have more information about the US Sim card ,I am sure i could also use it !!! Thanks
You need to purchase your Ipad with the 3/4G data option. (extra of course) This allows you to connect to the internet via the 3/4G cell network if free WiFi is not available. You can turn this feature on and off as you require but when on, other computers can connect to the internet through your Ipad if they have the password.
If you have not purchased your Ipad yet, your Apple store will explain this in detail. That's the other thing I like about this thing is the customer support that comes with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have an iPad 4 and btw you can get a bluetooth keyboard for them. I am not a fan and prefer the laptop I am writing this on now. My personal feeling over priced underfeatured. Ours is jailbroke so I have apps that for instance have and app that lets me use a conventional jumpdrive.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

I use my smart phone now for all of my needs. Making this reply on my android phone. Thought I would need an Ipad but not now. Thought I would need a GPS unit but not now. Since 4G these phones are incredible. Maps, Games, IRV2, Scores, Video, News, Text, plus I think I can make a phone call on it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
2 laptops here. As a matter of fact we just bought a new one just a few months ago with a very large 17 1/2 in screen. Mines the older one and it has a 16 in screen. The only tablet things we have are 2 Kindles. Could we have gone with tablets? Sure but we like the laptops way better so much more versatile for doing docs, spreadsheets and gaming. The Kindles were gotten cause all we wanted was a reader of some sort and that was the best out of all the ones we tested. Tablets are just not versatile enough for us. But that's us, everyone has their own needs
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a LONG time HP guy... employee and user. DW and I both have had our own HP laptops forever but I broke down and bought her an iPad for Christmas.

The only reason she has turned on her laptop since is to transfer stuff to the iPad. I'm probably next but I'm slow to accept change.

I got her the unit with 4G Verizon. She just left today to spend 10 days with her dad in rural Minnesota. We activated it just before she left and it was a snap to get her on line nearly everywhere she goes. She's already posting pictures of that frozen tundra. I feel badly for her back here in Arizona.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

You need to purchase your Ipad with the 3/4G data option. (extra of course) This allows you to connect to the internet via the 3/4G cell network if free WiFi is not available. You can turn this feature on and off as you require but when on, other computers can connect to the internet through your Ipad if they have the password.
If you have not purchased your Ipad yet, your Apple store will explain this in detail. That's the other thing I like about this thing is the customer support that comes with it.
Thanks Dennis very good information, I bought my IPad over a year ago , but I'am not sure that I have this 3/4G data option :(