Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #1

Considering OTR Mobile. Questions about throttling.

I've been needing to download tons of data this month and don't want to get kicked off my Verizon grandfathered plan. I heard from reddit OTR Mobile is "truly" unlimited.

After reading their policy, they do throttle. But the the specifics are missing. It is a wide open relative statement saying if they detect "abuse" or excessive use they will throttle.

I'm needing a few hundred GB a month. At what point do they start throttling download speed for their $80 month plan?
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #2

My nephew was on them until about a month ago when he started having all sorts of problems. He apparently was not alone, I am not sure if they have things sorted now or not, but they did a big switch away from the AT&T network, then 3 weeks later they were back to offering AT&T network again.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
I've been needing to download tons of data this month and don't want to get kicked off my Verizon grandfathered plan. I heard from reddit OTR Mobile is "truly" unlimited.

After reading their policy, they do throttle. But the the specifics are missing. It is a wide open relative statement saying if they detect "abuse" or excessive use they will throttle.

I'm needing a few hundred GB a month. At what point do they start throttling download speed for their $80 month plan?

Under the NEW OTR AT&T plan I believe the throttling starts at 22GB and gets progressively worse with usage over 50GB. Nothing is stated in writing but everyone I know on their NEW AT&T plan is experiencing the same problems.

You may want to check out Visible a Verizon owned discount cell service. While it has some quirks and no blazing download speeds, it does have sufficient speed for streaming HD and no throttle limit.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Under the NEW OTR AT&T plan I believe the throttling starts at 22GB and gets progressively worse with usage over 50GB. Nothing is stated in writing but everyone I know on their NEW AT&T plan is experiencing the same problems.

You may want to check out Visible a Verizon owned discount cell service. While it has some quirks and no blazing download speeds, it does have sufficient speed for streaming HD and no throttle limit.

Visible looks good. Thanks for that.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

Last month we got message from ATT about exceeding 22GB. I had only been getting between 6-8Mbps download, so I cannot tell for sure if we encountered throttling. Just received message about 16GB useage for this month. At last 2 locations download was 8-9Mbps, so still no real symptoms of throttling. I have scaled back video quality for streaming where I can.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

I had their AT&T plan for a year and a half and had zero issues. We stream all our TV view with YouTube TV, Hulu and Netflix. They switched us over to their T mobile plan a few months ago and so far so good. No issues at all. We’ve been in some real rural areas and some areas not so rural and have been very pleased. If it becomes a problem I’ll look at some other providers.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Visible looks good. Thanks for that.
I have Visible and it works good "most" of the time. If you happen to be on a busy tower, Visible has a lower priority than everyone else. In that case, your data throughput will be next to nothing. I had this happen in Austin, Texas last week.

Also, if using as a hotspot, data is limited to 5Mbps...Not a problem, if you get the full 5 Mbps though.

Using REDDIT you can find 3 other people to form a party with and your monthly charge drops to $25/month.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
Last month we got message from ATT about exceeding 22GB. I had only been getting between 6-8Mbps download, so I cannot tell for sure if we encountered throttling. Just received message about 16GB useage for this month. At last 2 locations download was 8-9Mbps, so still no real symptoms of throttling. I have scaled back video quality for streaming where I can.
Have been on the new ATT plan for almost 2 mts. Also received message about 16GB useage for June. Have used 43 gig so far, this morning had 22 to 26 download & tonight was getting 8 to 11 during prime time. Have not changed anything with my streaming.

I try to keep my Verizon grandfathered plan below 100 gig a month. Last I remember "talking to the Verizon rep", they were looking for people using it as their sole internet provider - going over 200 - 250 gig every month.

So far it has been good having the 2 - Verizon and ATT - always have at least 6 to 8 download speed on either.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Have been on the new ATT plan for almost 2 mts. Also received message about 16GB useage for June. Have used 43 gig so far, this morning had 22 to 26 download & tonight was getting 8 to 11 during prime time. Have not changed anything with my streaming.

I try to keep my Verizon grandfathered plan below 100 gig a month. Last I remember "talking to the Verizon rep", they were looking for people using it as their sole internet provider - going over 200 - 250 gig every month.

So far it has been good having the 2 - Verizon and ATT - always have at least 6 to 8 download speed on either.

On my Verizon grandfathered limited unlimited plan bill, they are not showing the monthly data usage anymore. I read news articles a couple years ago about people being booted from the plan from using 500 GB or more. Also, Verizon uses leased towers (AT&T) so they pay more to the vendor for data than off their own towers.

I called a few times about data usage limits for my plan when the news articles were released and the usage limit varied depending on who I talk to. Anywhere from truly unlimited to 100 GB and 200 GB average. I have historically kept it under 200 GB. Since they are not showing the usage now, I don't know my usage and I wonder if they have lifted the usage limit. Does your bill show data usage?
Old 07-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Since they are not showing the usage now, I don't know my usage and I wonder if they have lifted the usage limit. Does your bill show data usage?
Online in my account / usage - selecting my number still show the current usage - I only check the usage when we are on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Usage.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	291661  
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote