Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Converting from SD to HD with my Wingard RMDM-46

Direct TV has announced that in 2019 SD signal will no longer be available.
I want to convert my Winegard RMDM-46 from SD to HD, sooner than later. I've looked at the the New Traveler as a replacement for mine - just don't like the cost. There must be a way to convert my hardware ( Dish and LNB) from SD to HD, Has anyone ever done this ?
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
SD to HD

You will get HD with Dish and Bell with your Winegard RM DM-46, but only SD with Direct TV. Check this out-- Winegard RM-DM46 RM-4600 Tech Specs
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
There must be a way to convert my hardware ( Dish and LNB) from SD to HD, Has anyone ever done this ?
There really is no way to convert any DirecTV SD dish/dome to HD. You just need to replace it. The concept of "tilt" is just not available with existing SD dishes.

DirecTV is supposedly working with some dish vendors to help with the transition. You may want to hold off until something becomes clearer on this.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the response !
I read this article and apparently this Guys figured something out !
> Retrofitting your RV Winegard Dish for HDTV that is what peaked my curiosity.
Here is a Winegard RMDM46 conversion for Dish TV
>>HDTV for your RV - Satellite Conversion Assembly for your old Winegard Crank-up | eBay,
I called the Guy on the Dish setup and its only for dish !

What do you think ?
Old 11-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #5

Unfortunately, I cannot see any of the pictures so it is a bit difficult to fully understand what the author on DirecTV did. This sounds like it is a modification to an old 18" dish crank-up setup. I guess it worked for him for some time. But, I can pretty well assure you that it would totally spin off the roof in some of the windy places we have stayed overnight. The support structure for that small dish is just not sufficient to support the much larger and heavier Slimline dish. The Slimline dish is literally a sail compared with the simple 18" dish.

As you will note, he also ignored the tilt aspect of his setup. That only works in some locations where the tilt is minor. Amarillo, Texas for example. Any location East or West of this would have diminishing reception of all the HD signals. The SD signals on sat 101 would still be available.

If you have noting better to do, it is worth a shot. But, you will find it very impractical in the long run.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 AM   #6

Thanks Bob ! Yes His setup leaves a few issues on the table and the wind factor presents a concern in addition to the additional weight.
And yes I have plenty to do over the winter here . I was just thinking out loud !
Maybe something will come along or if I decide to convert to HD I'll just get the Wingard Traveler for direct TV, and be done with it.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
As Bob mentions, this conversion has extremely limited functionality. There is no mechanism to adjust skew, so the ability to actually use the HD sats (99 and 103) is very minute. (Only will work in a Notrh/South line centered on the Sat constellation.) Keep in mind he doesn't even mention 99 and 103 ( HD birds) and incorrectly lists the SD sats.

Aligning the dish to receive the Ka band HD signal on 99 and 103 is actually more critical than the SD Ku bands transmitted on 99, 110, and 119, so the likelihood of getting useable signals from 99 and 103 are very close to none.

If you enjoy the challenge and want to spend time tinkering at something which at it's very best, will only work in a very limited part of the US, and you are realistic enough to accept up front that the time and money you invest is for the fun of it and not actually getting you practical HD service, then have fun. Consider it an experiment, not a solution.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Chuck,
Since you were even considering building something like you referenced, you are probably savvy enough to do a manual/tripod setup. After you get the hand of it, it only takes a few minutes to setup and it is sort of nice to just absorb the environment of your new location while you are setting up the dish. With a tripod setup you avoid a lot of issues with trees or other items being in the line of sight. (For example, an RV park we like in Brigham City, UT has only about 8 to 10 sites that are appropriate for rooftop dishes.)

Don's site (TVforMyRV) has some interesting alternatives. One thing I learned from frustration is that the cheap metal tripods are more of a pain than a blessing when you make multiple setups. You spend most of your time just getting them level (which you have to do because the mast has to be perfectly vertical for a good alignment). Having a quality tripod is something to seriously consider.

I'm cheap so I built my own stand out of PVC pipe. I like it because there is no metal to interfere with any compass that I use and I can set one of the legs toward my azimuth setting which makes getting the alignment completed much faster. Fortunately I have the older version of the Slimline dish that has the pole mount in a lower position. The new dishes have the mount higher which requires a longer vertical pole and I am not sure PVC could take that additional torque.

Anyway, something to consider.
Bob
Old 11-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #9

Thanks Guy's for the input ! As I travel from Feb to Nov- a portable is out of the question for me, just want to pull in wherever put up the Dish and watch TV.
I will consider the aforementioned options and most likely install a new Automatic Dish on my Roof in the near future. However I'm sure a more reasonable solution to $1500 Bucs will be available soon, In the Meantime My old Winegard RM -DM 46 (SM) works fine. However there are thousands of them out there !
Old 11-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Just a comment . I have dish but have the traveler set up for dish on my roof. I ask for satellite frendly sites and 90% of the time have no problems same as you now with your manual dish. The automatic setting of the satellite is priceless. If I had it to do again I'd buy the direct version and convert it to dish to give me options but so far very happy with dish and that's good because The dish version can't be converted.
your only choice is on a tripod manual or automatic on-roof. It's several years before it happens .. I'd wait
Old 11-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have Direct TV. I use my crank up standard def dish when stopping only for one night. When staying longer I set up my tripod with HD dish. I'm to cheap to spend $2,000 on a automatic dish.

I can't believe Wineguard can't come up with a crank up dish with a skew adjustment. I would be willing to pay $500 for such a trouble free crank up.

Wineguard: Are you listening?
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Thanks Guy's for the input ! As I travel from Feb to Nov- a portable is out of the question for me, just want to pull in wherever put up the Dish and watch TV.

However I'm sure a more reasonable solution to $1500 Bucs will be available soon
Don't hold your breath.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote