RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
CoPilot GPS

I did not take the first option but chose the second to travel a more scenic route to Greenville Va from Nashville on Route 56 thru the mountains. It required me to be left of center dozens of times. Very very dangerous. Question: Did I lose all of the safeguards of CoPilot ( height weight length width )
By not choosing the first option??
I’m new to CoPilot.
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
lllkrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,827
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain "it required me to be left of center dozens of times".
__________________
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,319
Blog Entries: 3
I think he means, because of tight turns in the mountains, he had to swing wide to make the turn.
__________________
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 35'with 5 Star Tuner. 3 200 Amp Lithium batteries and 2000 watt Pure wave inverter/charger. 2013 Elantra on a Master Tow dolly.
Retired AF
HarryStone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,223
CoPilot GPS

Never explicitly trust any GPS. They all do pretty well on the expressways and US highways but not always so good on the secondary roads. I have been using CoPlot for the past 5 years. I was always a huge fan of CoPilot but the past two years it is has been terrible for routing on secondary roads. The company changed hands in 2018 (now owned by Trimble). The app has gone way downhill in functionality and features since ,IMO.

I was in Colorado a month ago an it was trying to route me over dirt National Forest roads instead of paved state highways. At one point it had me getting on and off I-70 multiple times. I opened a service ticket twice and never got a response from Trimble. Very disappointing because I like CoPilot’s interface better than anyone’s. Since I had just renewed for another year, I filed for a refund through Apple’s App Store and just received it a couple of days ago.

I have also used Sygic RV also for the past 3 years. It does well on secondary roads, and I don’t recall ever getting wrong directions from it. It just doesn’t guide you through expressway interchanges as clearly as CoPilot does. Looks like I will be using Sygic from now on
__________________
1995 Winnebago Warrior 23RC Class A
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 71
we have been using copilot for about a year with no problems in the rv or car.
we really like it.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
8.1 Workhorse
2002 Sebring Convertible
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain "it required me to be left of center dozens of times".


I other words I crossed over the center line in the middle of the road because the turns were so sharp my 40’ coach and tow were too long. “Left of the center line”
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I think he means, because of tight turns in the mountains, he had to swing wide to make the turn.


Right
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Never explicitly trust any GPS. They all do pretty well on the expressways and US highways but not always so good on the secondary roads. I have been using CoPlot for the past 5 years. I was always a huge fan of CoPilot but the past two years it is has been terrible for routing on secondary roads. The company changed hands in 2018 (now owned by Trimble). The app has gone way downhill in functionality and features since ,IMO.

I was in Colorado a month ago an it was trying to route me over dirt National Forest roads instead of paved state highways. At one point it had me getting on and off I-70 multiple times. I opened a service ticket twice and never got a response from Trimble. Very disappointing because I like CoPilot’s interface better than anyone’s. Since I had just renewed for another year, I filed for a refund through Apple’s App Store and just received it a couple of days ago.

I have also used Sygic RV also for the past 3 years. It does well on secondary roads, and I don’t recall ever getting wrong directions from it. It just doesn’t guide you through expressway interchanges as clearly as CoPilot does. Looks like I will be using Sygic from now on


Thanks for your reply.
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: North Georgia Mountains
Posts: 118
We also use Co-Pilot and it sometimes takes us on roads that while they meet the restrictions we have entered are not the best option available. We have had similar problems with other GPS software so now we use at least 2 GPS routing providers to confirm which route to take especially in the mountains or rural areas. I would be surprised if all of the roads through the mountains are properly represented in the GPS software for alerting us to a length versus sharpness of curve warnings.
__________________
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; miniature schnauzers and labradoodle. SumoSprings Front; Safe-T-Plus;2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507;Bilstein shocks
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
We also use Co-Pilot and it sometimes takes us on roads that while they meet the restrictions we have entered are not the best option available. We have had similar problems with other GPS software so now we use at least 2 GPS routing providers to confirm which route to take especially in the mountains or rural areas. I would be surprised if all of the roads through the mountains are properly represented in the GPS software for alerting us to a length versus sharpness of curve warnings.


Thanks for your thoughts
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I think he means, because of tight turns in the mountains, he had to swing wide to make the turn.


Yes
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
We also use Co-Pilot and it sometimes takes us on roads that while they meet the restrictions we have entered are not the best option available. We have had similar problems with other GPS software so now we use at least 2 GPS routing providers to confirm which route to take especially in the mountains or rural areas. I would be surprised if all of the roads through the mountains are properly represented in the GPS software for alerting us to a length versus sharpness of curve warnings.


Thanks for the reply
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 6,147
I wanted to use copilot, downloaded it and tried it a couple of times...
but opted for a Garmin RV760 that was more intuitive to me and has worked well so far (10 years or so!) - such that I trust it TOO much, but doesn't mean I'm asleep at the wheel !)
__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk(junk!), 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, Winn LeSharo, C's, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 4
Truck Map app

I use Truck Map app. It works good. The maps were outdated but they just sent an update not too long ago. I haven’t used it since but it is a free app and it works pretty good.
Gonzopr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gps



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you use CoPilot RV or CoPilot Truck? WyoFree Class A Motorhome Discussions 84 09-13-2016 08:40 AM
GPS Copilot DocJim Newmar Owner's Forum 2 03-07-2014 10:40 AM
Alk copilot version 9 truck - gps OneRVer Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 1 09-22-2012 04:37 PM
GPS - iPad2, CoPilot HD, Dual Bluetooth GPS sanfordturbo Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 14 01-09-2012 12:32 PM
GPS Copilot Laptop Software by ALK Technologies Camelot Camper Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 4 04-01-2008 02:39 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.