Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Dash Cam

How many people use dash cams and if you do what brand and model do you have and are you happy with it? I'm considering the Garmin 35.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny, I was just looking at the Garmin 35 too and decided to come here and first.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will get tons of opinions on this.
I use a G1WH-C ($50 on ebay). Good quality video.

All I want is some video proof when an accident happens so it does not become my word against theirs. Most cities don't take accident reports any more if there are no injuries.

Also, things like “your speed” might actually work against you…you might be going faster than the speed limit, but the accident was still totally their fault.
You don’t need time stamps either. All you need to do is prevent the other party from lying about what happened.

the new version runs on a capacitor, so you don't have to worry about battery problems in hot vehicles. The battery is there so that after a impact, the files can be saved if the car electrical system fails.

Good luck,

Dan
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
How many people use dash cams and if you do what brand and model do you have and are you happy with it? I'm considering the Garmin 35.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
I have the Garmin and love it. When not in the MH I put it in my Tahoe. Have not had an accident so you might think it keeps you safe. (not really)
Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
We bought a Cobra two+ years ago and it is still working fine. We use it everytime we move the truck.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

I installed the Garmin 20 a while ago. The video quality is pretty good and it has all the date, time, location and auto save features I was looking for. I think the only difference between the 20 and the 35 is screen size. I was not concerned with having a larger screen since any meaningful viewing would be done on another device. The smaller footprint appealed to me as I felt it was less conspicuous.
I wired mine in to an ignition circuit so it comes on automatic when I start the coach. Have not had the need to view the contents yet and that's a good thing.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I decided to add a dash cam to my motor home. I looked at all the brands and the reviews. There are hundreds of them out there. You can buy one that takes a poor quality video only to one that has GPS, time stamping and HD quality video ($50-$350).

After reading all the reviews I narrowed my choice down to a couple of models. It's been awhile, but I think Garmin was in the group that got good reviews. I selected the DOD brand.

Here's my logic for the model I bought. I wanted something that could take the heat of being on the dash, had HD quality, GPS and impact time stamping. I also added a large SD card. The larger card allows mine to run almost 8 hours before recording over the older footage. Mine takes such good quality video, that I wanted to have the 8 hours of storage capacity so that at the end of the day, I could review and keep video of things like driving thru Yosemite or another area of interest.

I also bought a second power cord and have it installed in my truck. When not using the motor home, I move the unit to my truck. I have two power cords because my unit, when connected to ignition power turns on and off when the vehicle turns on and off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought two of the Cobra Drive HD units from Costco and a couple 32 GB micro SD cards for them. So far I haven't put them in the vehicles though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using a Go-Pro camera as a dash cam. It's also used as a camera for some of our outdoor activities. Very handy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll second the one mentioned above by the other Dan. If you search Amazon and Black Box G1W-C you'll find it for $60. The quality is 1080P and excellent for the price. It does not have GPS, but I don't need it to tell me where I am when the video was taken.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-...ack+box+camera

Also, below is a link to a sample video from the dash cam and shows the reason I use one. Two idiots cutting us off in less than 100 feet. The wide angle lens makes them look farther away than what they were. All it takes is one of them to cut in front and slam on their brakes and swear it was your fault.
https://youtu.be/XTW127gbgDE
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Had to chuckle,
You must have been leaving Cummins Southern Plains...

They cut me off in the same place !!!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #12

Did the same as Mr. D, bought the Cobra at COSTCO and leave it mounted in Motorhome.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased a "Falcon Zero". It has good picture quality and serves the purpose for me.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I'll second the one mentioned above by the other Dan. If you search Amazon and Black Box G1W-C you'll find it for $60. The quality is 1080P and excellent for the price. It does not have GPS, but I don't need it to tell me where I am when the video was taken.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-...ack+box+camera

Also, below is a link to a sample video from the dash cam and shows the reason I use one. Two idiots cutting us off in less than 100 feet. The wide angle lens makes them look farther away than what they were. All it takes is one of them to cut in front and slam on their brakes and swear it was your fault.
https://youtu.be/XTW127gbgDE
I have had the Blackbox unit for 18 mo. Was very pleased with video quality and operation until last week when it just quit. Looking online seems they have a habit of doing this
Customer service nonexistent
Won't buy another
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash