Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash Cams

I have been trying to search posts on what dash cams are best but the threads are massive. Anyone using one and what kind is best.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use a GoPro with a suction cup mount and USB cable for power. It will record in a loop to a large memory card. Works well, only thing is I have to remember to turn it on before driving, it's not automatic.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How much do they run and where did you purchase it?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have one that is a Black Box brand and cost around $60. You can search on Amazon for that brand dash cam and there are several models both with and without GPS built in. They are full 1080 HD and the video quality is amazing for the price. They can be set to automatically turn on when 12v power is present, and turn off when it goes off. That makes it work well on an ignition powered circuit. They will record in a continuous loop and overwrite old files. A 16gb memory card will record about 5 hours of video.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check this link g1wh dash cam

There is also one that has a capacitor instead of a battery. You just need something to maintain power for 20 seconds or more to completely save the last file if your car battery is damaged.

You can set these to record in 3min segments.
gps is a waste of money. You dont really need your speed and direction, especially if going above the speed limit.

You dont want to get into a "He said, she said " situation after an accident.
In CA, the cops wont even write a report unless someone is injured.
And people can change their story when they report the accident to their insurance.

What is important is to show your vehicles position at the time of the accident if the other car is not in frame (like hitting you from the side ),
or if the lighg was yellow when you enter the intersection.

Worth the money. You can buy a 12v to USB converter if you want to hardwire the installation.

Regards,,

Dan
Old 12-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I went with a higher quality one, as I wanted the feature to connect WIFI to my smart phone - I can download video to phone.

I have the Blackvue model; I also purchased a LuKas dash cam as well to compare - the Blackview is a smaller unit.

I believe you get what you pay for - I am very happy with the Blackview.

I see they have a Blackview truck unit, for those that may need a new backup camera - that also records!

I bought mine from a local Canadian company, CanadaDashCam - who has shipped to US as well. With the current exchange, it may be cost effective for you US $$$ residents.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks. I will check it out as well.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Check this link g1wh dash cam

There is also one that has a capacitor instead of a battery. You just need something to maintain power for 20 seconds or more to completely save the last file if your car battery is damaged.
That's the exact one I was referring to. If you search Amazon and Black Box G1W-C you'll find it for $60. I tried to upload a sample video, but the forum won't accept it.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-...ack+box+camera

I was able to upload to YouTube, so here's a link:
https://youtu.be/XTW127gbgDE
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #9

I just bought and installed a Garim 20 dashcam with GPS. it records in four minute intervals to a memory card. If it senses a crash, it saves the previous 4 minutes leading up to and the next 10 minutes after.
I have it wired to the ignition so it comes on as soon as the engine starts. I'm using a 32g memory card. It has a good wide field of vision also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	115384  
Old 12-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I use a GoPro with a suction cup mount and USB cable for power. It will record in a loop to a large memory card. Works well, only thing is I have to remember to turn it on before driving, it's not automatic.
Are you sure it is not automatic. I had to rewire my socket to shut off with the switch. It was always hot and the camera never shut off. I rewired thru the switch and now it shuts down when the switch is turned off.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are some recommendations here https://dashcamtalk.com/

I personally have been using the Mobius for years in all my vehicles, and it's a great dash cam for my needs.

About $75.00 on http://www.amazon.com/PowerHobby-Mob...eywords=Mobius You can also find it on eBay for less, but it ships from China so it takes longer to get.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

I have both a gopro and a cellphone app. The cellphone app records in a loop and sends the feed to a cloud server at predetermined intervals or if the app senses a g force over a certain amount. It considers this an accident. I think the app is called daily view or such
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I have been trying to search posts on what dash cams are best but the threads are massive. Anyone using one and what kind is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
I have both a gopro and a cellphone app. The cellphone app records in a loop and sends the feed to a cloud server at predetermined intervals or if the app senses a g force over a certain amount. It considers this an accident. I think the app is called daily roads voyager or such
I just looked it is called daily roads voyager
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing might add, anything other than a dedicated dash cam may become a problem if you forget to turn them on or they require any special effort.

For me, I just forget about it and drive with my normal routine, everything else is automatic.

Regards,,
Dan

Tags
dash