Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #1

Dead zones

A couple of years ago we went to Tecopa Hot Springs in California because my wife really likes soaking in hot mineral water baths and this place has quite a few RV parks with their own soaking pools. It came to mind again because she just mentioned going back again.

One thing I noticed when we were there was that there were no cell service in the entire area and it took a 50 mile drive south and a 30 mile drive north to get cell service again. I asked why there was no cell service from any carrier and was told that the residents did not want cell service and opposed any cell tower installations.

I was not really aware that the people who lived in an area could effectively prevent cell tower installations, but that is what I was told, and it made me wonder if there are any other completely dead cell zones. Not where one carrier does not have towers, but where there is no cell service at all. Especially areas that have some reason to draw RVers. Has anyone found any other area with absolutely no cell service within a reasonable distance?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't know about restricting cell towers. But we have stayed at many CG that were dead to at least the big three carriers.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #3

We went camping for a week this summer at Big Bend campground in the mountains of West Virginia, and found ourselves in the 13,000 square mile quiet zone where there are no cell towers allowed. One day while there, we drove over 100 miles around the area sightseeing, and had no cell service anywhere we went.
This is because of the Green Bank Observatory radio telescope that is always listening for astronomical sounds since 1958.
It was interesting going a whole week with no cell service, but pretty enjoyable too.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #4

We bounced around the western Carolinas and Georgia state and Federal CGs on our way south this year. Found at least 2 CGs with no cell service.
We would head to town to get our fill of internet and more importantly, write down directions to our next destination.
With cell service we use maps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote