Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I humble myself at the technological altars of Rick 2005 and Bill Adams ...

I recently purchased the D-Link DIR-450 Router for my Verizon/Kyocera KPC650, and as expected from y'all previous posts, it works awesome with both my Averatec laptop and my wife's Sony laptop. (Gotta tell ya, it's an amazing feeling to be barreling down the Interstate at 65+mph and be checking out CNN-Headline News .... Just kidding! .....It's actually IRV2.COM !!!).

Seriously, I cannot get the 450 and either laptop to play well together when I try to initiate any kind of WiFi security for it. Doesn't matter if it's the lowest level or the most secure, it does the same thing. I follow the setup Wizard each time to get it going, and then it tells me it's doing its usual Windows XP handshake thing, but never fully makes the connection after that. For a few seconds, it will tell me I can connect to the secure network and then it changes and tells me it is still acquiring the network and I have to wait. A few seconds later it starts it all over again, almost like it's in a feedback or oscillating (I'm an old radio guy not a 1 & 0 kinda guy).

What am I doing wrong?

TIA, Ron
PS, I ain't gonna tell you where I am, since I am running an open line right now

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I humble myself at the technological altars of Rick 2005 and Bill Adams ...

I recently purchased the D-Link DIR-450 Router for my Verizon/Kyocera KPC650, and as expected from y'all previous posts, it works awesome with both my Averatec laptop and my wife's Sony laptop. (Gotta tell ya, it's an amazing feeling to be barreling down the Interstate at 65+mph and be checking out CNN-Headline News .... Just kidding! .....It's actually IRV2.COM !!!).

Seriously, I cannot get the 450 and either laptop to play well together when I try to initiate any kind of WiFi security for it. Doesn't matter if it's the lowest level or the most secure, it does the same thing. I follow the setup Wizard each time to get it going, and then it tells me it's doing its usual Windows XP handshake thing, but never fully makes the connection after that. For a few seconds, it will tell me I can connect to the secure network and then it changes and tells me it is still acquiring the network and I have to wait. A few seconds later it starts it all over again, almost like it's in a feedback or oscillating (I'm an old radio guy not a 1 & 0 kinda guy).

What am I doing wrong?

TIA, Ron
PS, I ain't gonna tell you where I am, since I am running an open line right now

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #3

Ronboc - Make sure for whatever protection scheme you choose that the same key is used for the DIR-450 and the two laptops. If the laptop says it is acquiring the network but never sees it, it sounds like the key has not been entered into the laptop. Normally the laptop should see the secure network and then ask you to enter the key required for the protection scheme. I had one laptop that required the key be entered in hexadecimal code or it would not acquire the network.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure of all of your particulars but I would be sure to have your windows completely updated with the latest and greatest drivers. I would go over to Dlink.com and download the latest firmware. Be sure to hook the laptop to the router via a cat5 cable before you attempt to update firmware. Chances are that if you don't, you'll turn the DIR-450 in to a brick. I read that previous firmware had some issues with WEP. Speaking security. Unless you are very paranoid, just enable WEP only. There is really no need to use more. Doing so only slows down your system and causes more trouble then it's worth.
I only have a 5 charactor WEP protection on my WiFi. It keeps honest people out and the bad guys will stop at nothing anyway. Also, one last thing. Delete your connection to the dlink on your computer. Then plug the laptop in to your router. Update the firmware. Reboot the router, set WEP on the router, reboot the computer and let the laptop find the new WiFi connection. Click Connect on the dialog box and enter the WEP key. Hope that helps.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Does anybody know if that DIR450 is compatible with EVDO Rev-A? I'm ready to buy, but would like to be sure it can talk Rev-A speak. Also, what Rev-A card might be compatible with it?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just visited dlink and the specs do not mention being or not being REV A ready.
Here's contact info. Give them a call and report the news
web: http://support.dlink.com
phone: 1.877.45D-LINK (1.877.453.5465)
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to AlexSian
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slabman:
Does anybody know if that DIR450 is compatible with EVDO Rev-A? I'm ready to buy, but would like to be sure it can talk Rev-A speak. Also, what Rev-A card might be compatible with it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never used a DIR-450 so I can't comment on it...

That said, I do use Kyocera KR1, Linksys/Sprint EVDO Router, and TopGlobal MB6000.

Based on experience with these routers... its not the router that has to be compatible with Rev-A, its the card you stick into them.

The routers... 'route' the bandwidth received by the card. If you have a Rev-A compatible card, and are using it in an actual Rev-A network, then the router will be routing Rev-A bandwidth.

What you should look for when choosing a router is whether the Rev-A card you want is fully supported by the router or not. Some Rev-A cards will work in a router, but because the firmware may not have been updated to fully support that card, the performance through the router may be slower than if the card were used directly in a PC card slot on a laptop.

FYI, EVDOinfo.com maintains an "EVDO Router Comparison Chart" for the routers they sell and (more importantly) provide customer support for.