Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Direct TV compatibility

I did a Search but could not find the answer.

I have an RV with a King Dome In Motion Sat Dish. I have Direct TV installed in my home. I am thinking I can use the home system in the RV. Its an HR 44 Direct TV receiver. Has anyone done this? Will this work assuming I program it correctly? Any problems going back to the home connection?

Also since its a DVR system would I be able to view any previously recorded programming from the home?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post

I have an RV with a King Dome In Motion Sat Dish. I have Direct TV installed in my home. I am thinking I can use the home system in the RV. Its an HR 44 Direct TV receiver. Has anyone done this? Will this work assuming I program it correctly? Any problems going back to the home connection?

Also since its a DVR system would I be able to view any previously recorded programming from the home?

Thanks.
Not an exhaustive list but here you go...

Receivers | KING Mobile Satellite Dish for RVs and Trucks
glbtrottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

I have the 44 in my TT and a mini-genie in the bedroom. The DirecTV put it in when I was in a permanent site...and he wired it wrong. I had to pay my RV dealer to fix it.

If you are just using the DVR it's a snap. The coax that goes into your rig then into the TV will be the one you connect to the DVR. Then I've got an HDMI to the TV. I plug the coax from my carryout to the Satellite In on the outside of my rig. I guess you would just take the coax into your TV and move it into your DVR.

You won't get local channels...at least I don't as I move all over. I pay an extra $15 for DNS (I think it's called Distant Network Service...or something like that). I had to fill out a stupid application (from DirecTV) as the FCC want to be sure you live in your rig full-time...so you might have a problem getting that. I'm not sure if you will bet local channels off your dome.

And, yes, I can watch stuff I've recorded without putting the dish (Anser) out. Home recordings are saved on the DVR so you should be able to watch them too.

I love my DirecTV and hope it works for you.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

We use our direct tv box in the MH. You may have to put the right code in to change it from one connectivity to the other. Our dealer did it for us and it took them a matter of seconds to switch it to direct tv connectivity.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post

Thanks.
The HR44 (Genie) is SWM only. In order to use it with your dome, you will need to add a SWM8 multiswitch and power inserter.

Also, you will only be able to receive SD signals with the dome.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The KING Dome in-motion should be compatible with any DirecTV receiver that does not have 18" Dish grayed out.

IF 18" dish is grayed out it will not work with your receiver

It also will NOT get DirecHDTV Just SD.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The HR44 (Genie) is SWM only. In order to use it with your dome, you will need to add a SWM8 multiswitch and power inserter.

Also, you will only be able to receive SD signals with the dome.
+1

A switch looks like this and the power inserter looks like this.

And with the up-shifting from either the Genie or your TV you will probably get a great picture even on the SD channels.

You just need to know that your locals will not follow you. Your Virginia location is more than likely on a spot beam that will fail after you move about 100 miles away from home. (Or, if they are HD only you will not see them at all with your SD only dome.) Other than this, you should be golden.