Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #1

Talking Direct TV from home to RV

We have used Direct TV SAT service for years. It suits us well. We do not stream movies or TV shows.

Since we are going full time on the road for 1 year or so... My wife made the call to Direct TV (ATT now) about the home DirecTV DVR box to the RV or what we need from Direct TV.

The nice fellow on the phone (over seas)... Did not know what an RV is. He certainly did not understand Toy Hauler or Trailer either. He had NO knowledge of an RV package from DirecTV and he needed to talk to a supervisor and would call my wife back. He did call back, ask more questions. Then he called back again with very little information.

Where we stand now is likely cancel Direct TV when we move out of the house (soon) and look at Dish RV service or perhaps streaming. Our RV does not have any receiver or Wingard type receiver on it. We will need all the parts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #2

Crosley,

Direct TV and Dish both had a second receiver for RV for a reduced cost though your "local channels would remain the same in your RV but since you are leaving the house itself then you may just as well move to an unlimited cell data plan and stream. FMCA has some neat deals for setting up a cell powerd RV internet! Streaming at most campgrounds is a tough task due to bandwidth, but if you download at off-peak times and then watch later it keeps you from watching the vortex and removes the delays. We dumped the Dish/Direct TV type services a while back and moved to streaming a few years back. Investing in a mobile satellite tracker etc is costly and you still need the internet any way so why not use the cellular network for both. They say starlink is going to be a good solution if there are no trees in the way as in boon docking in AZ!
Old 06-23-2021, 05:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we fulltimed we used dish. Since you will have only one location I assume, you will only need one receiver on your account. Having had dish for 20 years, I recommend getting a hopper 3 with a bedroom joey. That should be all you need as a receiver. For a dish we used a manual set up and aim, but we find the Winegard traveller works very well. Just call and change your locals as needed for no charge.

The carry out dome automatic dishes will not work with the hopper 3 but cost less.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
DirecTV seems to have a love/hate relationship with RVs. On one hand, we pay $5 a month to add the MH, but they don’t want to provide any other service for it. You are on your own to choose and install the equipment. They do not supply anything except a receiver. Assuming you want HD service, you will have to go with Winegard or RF Mogul for an RV specific dish. You could also take your current dish with you if you aren’t moving much. You would have to manually site the dish, but it’s not hard.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
barmcd..Why are you paying $5.00 a month extra for your Directv receiver?..are you getting something with it that I'm not aware of..reason I ask is once I installed my Winegard Trav'ler 9 years ago on my coach I just took one of the receiver's from the house plug & play. Such when I leave my area I eventually lose my local channels but if I need to know what the news is at home I can use the internet..otherwise my OTA will get the locals where I'm at.
groveln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've had DirecTV since about 1995 and have never had an issue with moving the receivers between the house and the RV. Currently we have a Genie and a mini-genie in the house, and when we travel we move both into the RV. The RV has an old KVH R4 dome on the roof, which I have converted to a SWM system and the Genie and mini-genie work well, although they can only receive SD signals due to the age of the dome. This setup has gone coast-to-coast and border-to-border over the years with no issues, admittedly we do lose our local channels when we go more than about 400 miles from home, but then we rarely watch local channels anyway.

In the next couple of months we're replacing the KVH dome with an RF Mogul Eagle dish so we'll be able to get HD signals in the RV.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by groveln View Post
barmcd..Why are you paying $5.00 a month extra for your Directv receiver?..are you getting something with it that I'm not aware of..reason I ask is once I installed my Winegard Trav'ler 9 years ago on my coach I just took one of the receiver's from the house plug & play. Such when I leave my area I eventually lose my local channels but if I need to know what the news is at home I can use the internet..otherwise my OTA will get the locals where I'm at.
I have a receiver just for the coach.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

we have direct tv at home and we simply move the receiver (hr44), mini receivers, and the wireless bridge to the trailer when we travel. we never tell direct tv about the moves. yes we loose the locals but between wither park cable or OTA channels we get them when we want then wherever we are.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had Direct at home we just took the receivers to the MH when we left. Then I switched to Dish with a Hopper3 and 2 wireless Joey's and changed to an RF Mogul controller and dish so I take the home equip with me. I do lose the locals but not a real problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
We have used Direct TV SAT service for years. It suits us well. We do not stream movies or TV shows.
This isn't a dig, I'm just curious. What do you watch? Streaming is pretty much all we do on our DirecTV here at home other than recording the nightly news programs and a few others. We almost never watch anything "live".
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
This isn't a dig, I'm just curious. What do you watch? Streaming is pretty much all we do on our DirecTV here at home other than recording the nightly news programs and a few others. We almost never watch anything "live".

I understand. We have created list of TV shows we watch. None of the streaming options fit the list well. I guess a choice will need to be made. We do not buy movies on DirecTV.. When the "industry" put the 72 hour erase time limit in place, we stopped buying movies thru DirecTV. We just wait till the movie arrives on regular channel view.

My wife is the main TV watcher. Most of the shows are recorded on the DVR. She likes those crime investigation type shows. Same in reading material. We do not watch much local TV shows or live news (too scripted).

We both enjoy a few of the home improvement shows. The heavily scripted shows where only the type of lumber change or the "talent" stands in a different spot: we turn those off.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:03 PM   #12

Talking

I got off easy, for now... Wife says most of her shows are ending for the summer. No need for a purchase or sign up of new TV type service. We will have internet, maybe that will lead her some path not explored yet? Thanks
Old 06-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #13

Many of the TV brands now offer a pile of free channels (streamed via internet). Been binge-watching Colombo, Texas Ranger, Five O, a little bit of bay watch but that gets old fast now!

LG, Samsung and Vizio have these free channels! Dunno about the rest of the brands.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:33 PM   #14

The Roku channel (free with Roku device or Roku TV) has some older shows we've been watching, Barney Miller, The Rockford Files, Quantum Leap, Crossing Jordan, etc. They have commercials that you can't fast forward, but they're not terribly intrusive (we mute the sound until they're over). I forgot how good Barney Miller was.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote