Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

Direct TV no signal

For the past few years I have been using a small portable Wineguard round dish for TV for my trailer. This is a Direct TV set up. I decided to install a stationary dish on my RV port as I use the trailer as a retreat when the kids and grandkids visit. I had done this before at a previous location using an 18 inch round dish and it was very simple. I recently picked up a Slimline SL3 Direct TV dish, mounted it and tried to get a signal using the same method for aligning the dish as I did with the 18 inch round and could get NO signal. With the round dish I had only the Direct TV receiver, the dish and the cable. Very easy in fact easier than setting up my little portable. What am I missing with the Slimline? Do I need an amplifier or something in line? Thank you
Stan
StanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 11:25 PM   #2

What DVR/Receiver model number do you have?
Does your Slimline dish LNB have one or four coax outputs?
If your dish LNB has one coax output, then you'll need a SWM Power Inserter, assuming you're not using an older SD-only Receiver.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #3

Direct TV no signal

Hi
My receiver is a Direct H23/600, the LNB is labeled SL3S4N2-02 and there is only one coax connecter. If I need to install a power inserter where is it connected? In line near the receiver? At the dish? Where would I get one and are there different voltages for these? If so what voltage in necessary? Thank you for the reply.
Stan
Old 02-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
Hi
My receiver is a Direct H23/600, the LNB is labeled SL3S4N2-02 and there is only one coax connecter. If I need to install a power inserter where is it connected? In line near the receiver? At the dish? Where would I get one and are there different voltages for these? If so what voltage in necessary? Thank you for the reply.
Stan
I'm thing the H23 does not have the power installed inside it - so you would need the one below -

AT&T (Formerly DIRECTV) 21 Volt Power Inserter for All DIRECTV SWM LNBs (PI21)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	317681  
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #5

Yes, you'll need to add a SWM Power Inserter inline with the coax from the dish. See Mike's diagram above. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #6

Thank you all very much. That's exactly what I need including the diagram. It will be a while before I will be able to install it. I will first need to obtain the power inserter then I'll have to put the dish back together. I took it all apart and was going to take it to the recycle center then got to thinking maybe I can get it to work. I'll get going in it. Thanks again.
Stan
Old 02-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #7

OK gentlemen, I received my 21 volt inserter in the mail last night and installed it today. I still have no signal. The setup screen is filled out as follows: Dish Type, SLB LNB, RB/INTL, None Selected, Switch Type SWM. The settings are 32 degrees with an AZ of 137 degrees , and says Tilt 107 degrees. I have only used a round dish in the past with no issues. How important is the Tilt? It was set at 90 degrees and I changed it to 107. It is a snowy day but the main tv in the house is not affected and I believe in has the same type of dish. Thank you
Stan
Old 02-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
OK gentlemen, I received my 21 volt inserter in the mail last night and installed it today. I still have no signal. The setup screen is filled out as follows: Dish Type, SLB LNB, RB/INTL, None Selected, Switch Type SWM. The settings are 32 degrees with an AZ of 137 degrees , and says Tilt 107 degrees. I have only used a round dish in the past with no issues. How important is the Tilt? It was set at 90 degrees and I changed it to 107. It is a snowy day but the main tv in the house is not affected and I believe in has the same type of dish. Thank you
Stan
Bummer. How exactly is everything connected? Are you using your RV's SAT connection? How are you aiming the dish? Sounds like you may actually have an aiming issue. See if this video helps ..... https://youtu.be/QA1krU8eo8E
Old 02-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #9

Litzdog
I am connected directly from the dish to the inserter to the receiver. I installed a cable connector through the wall of my trailer so I could use my portable suitcase Winegard. My factory installed TV connector will not work with satellite, only cable. That was a surprise to me when I bought the trailer so I installed my own connector. I use a compass to set the AZ but I am so close to the house it is difficult to establish a good line of site also with the dish being made out of iron the compass is affected if you are too close to the dish. I have no declination set in the compass so I'm using magnetic North. And what about the tilt, is it critical? I have checked the mount for plumb and while not absolutely perfect to the 1/16 of an inch it is probably better than I ever set my Winegard. Thank you
Stan
Old 02-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #10

You were right. After 100 or so trips up and down the ladder I had my wife go into the trailer while I moved the dish. Picked up the signal quickly. It's 20 degrees here so I'll wait till the weather warms up to fine tune it. Thank you all very much for the help.
Stan
Old 02-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
There is an app I use when we have trees " SATFINDER LITE - you can select only the direct tv sat in the setup" This will make sure you are close

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

Have you taken off the LNB and make sure the connection is good & look like the one listed below to make sure it non-swm. Could be they sold you a non-swm one.

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-SL3-S...32244215&psc=1

When I sent it up years ago - would use a computer monitor / small TV and set it up outside with the DTV box just to get is aimed before connecting it to the RV.

There are a bunch of youtube videos on how to
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #12

Mike
Yes is took the LNB off in fact I had the whole thing disassembled and was going to take it to the recycle center until you all told me I needed a 21 volt inserter. I ordered that from Amazon, installed it today and after recruiting my wife to watch the signal in the trailer received a signal strong enough to get the TV working. I'll fine tune the dish when the weather warms up. Too cold and snowy to be messing around on a ladder. Thank you for the help
Stan
Old 02-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #13

Well I spoke too soon! Yesterday we had a signal meter in the 70's with the numbers on the signal strength filled out with maybe 4 out of 32 zeros. Today I went out and turned it on and did not have a signal. I had slightly bumped the arm with the ladder but I did not think it was enough to move anything as it is pretty solid. Once again I recruited the wife to help. We turned on the signal strength and I adjusted it till the strength was up to 91-92 which I thought was good but when I turned to the signal meter and I had 11 numbers in the 90's and all the rest were zeros. In all the times I have set up a dish I have never seen this. The numbers may be in the 60-80's but they will all be filled out with maybe 3-4 zeros. My Winegard is that little plastic suitcase thing that is totally manual. I removed the 21volt inserter and reattached the Winegard and checking the signa I was back to high 70's and everything was operating as it should. Any idea why yesterday the numbers were filled out and today it was mostly zeros?
Stan
Old 02-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #14

Quote:
.... We turned on the signal strength and I adjusted it till the strength was up to 91-92 which I thought was good but when I turned to the signal meter and I had 11 numbers in the 90's and all the rest were zeros. .... Any idea why yesterday the numbers were filled out and today it was mostly zeros?
Stan
Which transponders show the non-zero readings? I'm guessing you're aimed at the wrong satellite (probably 119ºW instead of 101ºW).