Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you use Direct TV or Dish in your RV?
I use Direct TV 87 46.52%
I use Dish 100 53.48%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Direct TV to Dish?

We've been with Direct TV for a LONG time! They keep going up and I'm really tired of it! Yes, I know I can call them and threaten to cancel and get the bill down some for a limited time, but that really gets old!

Just looking at the Dish packages it seems they would be a lot less expensive for basically the same channels. We need to save money but tried Dish way back and was very unhappy, finally switching back to Direct TV.

We have the TracVision R5SL dish on the MH and the specs say that it is compatible with Dish HD. Right now we have the Direct TV HR44 DVR in the house and H24 in the MH. I think we're paying $6.00 per month for the second receiver in the MH. What receivers would we need from Dish?

I really value your expertise and want to get your comments on a possible switch to Dish. Thanks so much!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #2

NFL Sunday Ticket. I have to have it and it's only on DirecTV. As soon as they lose the exclusive, I probably drop them.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
JDT

We started with Dish many years ago, switched to Direct to save some money, and then back to Dish, probably 10 years ago. Direct was not very rv friendly. I'm not sure if the packages are any cheaper but you will probably be able to get a new customer deal for a couple of years.

We have a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys at home and 2 Wally's in the fifth wheel. I like that I can activate and deactivate the Wally's at will on my computer. We have a Trav'ler on the roof so we can watch separate programs on separate satellites. I added a hard drive to each Wally, paid the $40 fee, which they refunded in $5 increments, so we can record some of our favorite programs but that is limited to 2 or 3 at a time, can't remember. Anyway, more than enough for us. I also have an over the air dongle on each Wally so I can download any OTA channels coming from our roof antenna into the guide. I almost never change our address to get the locals on satellite as it switches my sports broadcasts to the region we are in. If I don't change our address I get my home regional events no matter where we are (OKC Thunder, OU Sooners and OSU Cowboys). Most of the time I can find enough local channels on my OTA antenna to keep the wife happy.

We have been pleased and really never have had any issues. It just works as long as I pay the bill. The Trav'ler has been great but there can be tree issues with a permanent mount. At some point I will get a backup portable just not sure which one at this time.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #4

I switched to Dish about 8 months ago. Directv kept going up and up. I have Dish locked in for two years. When that time comes around I may switch back if Dish jumps their price up to much. I kept all of my Directv equipment just in case.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I was with DirecTV for a few years, then switched to Dish about five years ago and have been very happy with Dish. You will want the Hopper 3/Joey system in your home and a Wally for the motor home. We pay $7 a month each for two Wallies we take with us when traveling. Doing it that way is cheaper than the pay as you go plan if you travel more than a few times a year. Dish does offer an A-La-Carte Flex Pack packaging that can really save money unless you want some of the exotic channels. The only drawback with your Tracvision is you will be limited to one channel at a time, or if you have two Wallies you can watch separate channels as long as they are on the same satellite.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My opinion doesn't carry any weight since we haven't subscribed to AT&T yet, but our "new" coach has a Trav'ler set up for AT&T and, after reading your complaints for months, as soon as we go FT I'm converting to Dish!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

Neither.....just plain ole Free OTA
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #8

Had Comcast in the house and dish in the RV. Went to Dish at the house with the Hopper and Joeys and 2 Wallys in the RV. Much better and cheaper then Comcast.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #9

We had Direct for many years. I got tired of the hassle of changing service address. Switch to Dish and did the traveler conversion myself for less than $300. Cost savings paid for the conversion in less than 10 months.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

If you go to DISH you will need to buy a new antenna. As of March 2016 the KVH R5SL would no longer work with DISH Network. DISH changed their transmission coding in 2016 and KVH never provided an update for their older antennas.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
NFL Sunday Ticket. I have to have it and it's only on DirecTV. As soon as they lose the exclusive, I probably drop them.
In the same boat or as soon as you can stream all the games
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 AM   #12

The kicker for me to switch from Directv to Dish was a $300 gift card for switching. I knew it would cost me close to $300 to swap out the Winegard Tra'vler.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

We had a BUD (Big Ugly Dish) out back for years until Motorola finally shut down 4DTV. Our provider switched us to Dish and grandfathered in our distant networks for a few years. Then we got a Hopper, and a Joey to watch 2 tuners on 4 TVs, along with an HD Flow wireless HDMI setup.

When we bought the Sunstar a year ago, it came with a Winegard In-Motion dish, so we got a Wally for it. Then I found out how old the dish was, it didn't work, and the PO had done a poor job of installing it. So I found a NIB In-Motion antenna on Ebay and replaced it.

Never had any real complaints about Dish service.

Whenever the poor Direct salesperson buttonholes me as I walk into Costco, "What do you have for TV service?", I say, "Dish at home and a Wally in our motorhome." and they say, "Oh, you have an RV. We can't compete with that."
SLOweather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had DTV for about 10 years and was satisfied with it. Switched to dish about 7 years ago and recently upgraded to the Hopper 3. The hopper 3 is awesome with 16 channel recording capability. I use one to record Prime Time shows from 8 to 11pm. I record all the major news on local channels to view later. Never had a recording conflict. 2 terabit hard drive. Dish ties directly into Netflix from the guide. No need to switch inputs. It has voice control for changing channels or general search.

For the MH I purchased a 211K and only activate it for trips. I use the 211k because it has an OTA tuner and you can use it as a single channel DVR. My tailgater works great with it. The 211k has a channel 3 output for older distribution systems like mine.

Doubt I will go back to DTV but never say never.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish