Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2023, 02:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DirecTV & High Definition

My old DirecTV Satellite DVR (Non-HD) Receiver (Model R22-200) is malfunctioning. DirecTV no longer provides this model.

I have a Wingard Roadtrip T4 dome on my roof. A Winegard representative informed me last week that the dome was an "HD" capable dome.

I had DirecTV send me an HD capable DVR (Model H24). I installed the DVR receiver. It immediately "downoaded" the data at 100%. I checked the signal strength: my numbers were all "80's and 90"s with a "0" on each line. I opened the Channel Guide and selected a channel that I usually watch. I then got Error Code 771. Worked with DirecTV reps for 2 - 3 hours troubleshooting with no luck.

I then looked into my Owners Manual for the Winegard Roadtrip T4 and it states the DirecTV Sats 101 & 119 are SD only. I plan on calling Winegard Monday morning for info on how I can get HD programming.

What is anyone else using to get HD programming from DirecTV? Should I be looking at DISH Network? I prefer to stay with a dome and not an extend/retract dish on the roof.

Thanks
Drifterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2023, 03:09 PM   #2

You can us that rcvr. with your dome but no HD or locals. The only dome that gets hd is Dish
I think you can set that dome to receive Dish.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #3

You'll need a Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV HD dish if you want HD channels.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:34 PM   #4
GRF

I have the HR44-500 model HD DVR receiver for Directv and use a download switch (model DSWM30S from Winegard). Works great.
GRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:14 AM   #5

GRF: What are you using for a dish? We have the Traveler on the roof. It works great but Directv os getting bad. Most if the Chanels are advertising fir items no one wants. The full meal deal is over $170
Crazy
I think that very soon att will drop or sell the satellite service. If only internet service was not so expensive
Streaming will one day be the norm.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 01-30-2023, 09:24 AM   #6
Community Moderator

To get HD Directv with a permanently roof installed satellite you will need a Winegard Traveler satellite. Have one on each.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
To get HD Directv with a permanently roof installed satellite you will need a Winegard Traveler satellite. Have one on each.

Another option, besides Winegard, is RF Mogul. It's a bit more expensive than the winegard unit, but from what I've read over the years it's a more robust design, and completely field-serviceable.We've had ours for over a year now and we're happy with it.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Our Winegard in-motion dome with do HD with Dish (per the manual) or SD with DTV.

We no longer can receive our DTV local SD channels because they have been moved to the HD Satellite.

DishTV is likely your cheapest roof antenna option for HD channels. You might be able to use your current dome.

Or, you can spend @ $100 and get a Slimline Antenna for DTV, mount it on a tripod, and aim it each time you get to a new location.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:29 PM   #9
GRF

I used the Winegard GM-9000 Carryout Automatic G3 module. It is portable, but automatically finds the satellites. It works for both Dish and Directv HD channels.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF View Post
I used the Winegard GM-9000 Carryout Automatic G3 module. It is portable, but automatically finds the satellites. It works for both Dish and Directv HD channels.
But, according to Winegard, like our Winegard Roadtrip in Motion, it does not receive DTV HD. (in answers to questions on the 9000 on Amazon)

Did you modify your your 9000 antenna to be able get the DTV HD?
Old 01-31-2023, 10:55 AM   #11
GRF

After talking with Winegard, I added a download switch (DSWM30S) inline to get the HD channels. Worked great!
Old 01-31-2023, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF View Post
After talking with Winegard, I added a download switch (DSWM30S) inline to get the HD channels. Worked great!
Thank you. I will see if that will work with our setup. I have installed and removed a dtv swm (single wire multiswitch) switch and inserter to use with a HR44.

That worked, but at that time our locals were SD signal and no reception of HD was necessary. The SWM only changed the antenna to receiver connection. It did not change the antenna dish signal reception.

Most of the DTV channels are SD and we get those with the Dome.

Our locals were SD on the 119 Satellite so our dome did well.

The SD locals were moved to the HD only satellite 101 last year. Now, the Dome does not receive our Local HD Channels.

Are your local channels SD or HD?

What DTV satellite are they beamed from?
Old 01-31-2023, 03:50 PM   #13

No dome exists that can get Direct TV in HD.Howevr if you are using Dish as your satellite service some domes can get HD. The poster above is probably using DISH.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 02-11-2023, 10:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
DirecTv HD via IN Motion, New Experience

Something has changed for the better... today we have Fox News Business HD via our in motion antenna and H24/700 receiver...
High2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv