Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
DirecTV and Transponder Settings

Good Evening All,

I just thought I would pass this along to any DirecTV users. A couple of times I have had difficulty getting a satellite signal after I set up camp. We have DirecTV and a Trac-Vision In motion Dome. This past weekend it happened again and the code that I was getting on my screen was indicative that the satellite was not locating correctly (according to DirecTV help desk). After I came home I was playing with the "Menu" and a little voice told me that someone...somewhere...told me he switches to Transponder 27. I did that and VOILA...Great Picture.

I was curious about this because the original Directv technician over the weekend had told me that I should always be on Transponder 1 or 2...so I called DirecTV today and asked for an RV DirectTV tech support person. Ron came on and explained to me that he always tells customers who are having problems with their reception in the RV to switch to a high Transponder..."usually 19 will do the trick".

I wish that I had known this earlier instead of just stumbling around on my own until I found it....so I am passing along this tid-bit to other RV'ers who may be in the same situation.

Hope this helps someone else out...

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #2

Faith,
Haven't heard about settings for a certain transponder. I don't think that's my problem though.
I think my receivers defective but not sure. At home I'm using the SWM thingy. When in the RV since I use only satellite 101. Without going through all the steps, basically, I have a hard time switching from SWM to Multiswitch. When trying to reach "set up" through the menu, it won't go to "set up". Hence, I cannot switch to my portable dish.

I realize that the SWM uses an external power supply (28 volts, I think) and the multiswitch is powered at 18 volts from the receiver. Which is why you have to select the correct dish.

My calls to DirecTV went unaided. Seems even though the equipment is 'leased', I still have to pay for any 'repairs'.
Less than a year to go on my contract. (lease)
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

Where are you looking for the "setup" menu? I've never seen a receiver or previous configuration that prevents "setup" from being displayed.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #4

I have had that problem before. Sometimes I have to do the setup before I attach the coax to the receiver. Why? Don't know.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #5

I have DirecTV also and had the same issues the first couple of trips. A friend with Fleetwood told me to use transponder 19 and it has worked great since.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Where are you looking for the "setup" menu? I've never seen a receiver or previous configuration that prevents "setup" from being displayed.
ernieh,
That's why I say that I think my receiver is 'defective'.
Normally, you'd get to set up by pressing "menu" and selecting the "Parental,Fav's &Setup",... then select "Setup" at the bottom of the pop up.

Sometimes (usually) when in the RV the only thing that's in the menu pop up is "My Playlist". The other six lines just aren't there. And this is 'before' attaching the cable from the dish.

It's sometime an hour affair of repeatedly pressing the 'menu' and maybe hitting the 'reset button' to get the menu to appear.

At one point I just put the thing it the closet and quit using it for about a week. Finally, out of desperation and frustration working with DirecTV 'customer no-service', I tried it again and it worked'.
Maybe it was just 'tired'.
michigancamper
Old 08-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
I have had that problem before. Sometimes I have to do the setup before I attach the coax to the receiver. Why? Don't know.
nalcon,
Don't know for sure but I think it makes a difference because the round or 3lnb dish get it's 18volts from the receiver. The SWM dish gets it's 28volts from an external power supply.
The first time I used the receiver in the RV I had no trouble. Perhaps when I moved it back into the house, the 18volt output still being on, damaged something because the 'house' system had the 28volt power supply connected.
????
michigancamper
Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #8

FANCILL: I totally agree with you. Most of the time I get my best reception on transponder 12 or 18 in Florida and the Midwest. Click through the transponders and watch your signal strength change considerably.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #9

You cannot "set" a transponder in your receiver and have it stick. You can set the receiver to a specific transponder while you are in the setup menu and use this to point the dish or help your antenna lock on (I still prefer transponder one but several of the odd transponders (but not all) such as 19 are a good selection as well.
Now, once you exit the setup screen the receiver will revert to whatever transponder the channel you have selected is broadcast on. If you go through the setup screen you will see that there are 32 transponders. Each transponder can broadcast "X" number of channels. When you move from channel 231 to channel 390 you change transponders.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The transponder setting is controlled automatically by the receiver, it is a function of the channel you are watching and will change as you change channels.

HOWEVER.. That said: Not all transponders cover all parts of the country.. Due to "Spot Beam" technology a transponder or two, epically the single digit jobs, may not cover where you are parked.. For set up you need transponders that are CONUS.

Question: where do you set a transponder number? If it's in the antenna's pointing softwre.... Then it matters.
http://www.lyngsat.com Should have a page that tells you what transponders shine on your current location.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Transponder 19 is what I use for dish aiming, and it's worked great.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I originally was using an older receiver (about 10-12 yrs old). When we went to MD this past winter I could not get reception. I decided to try one of my newer receivers from the stick & bricks. The older receiver would find the signal best on tranponder #19. Also the color would fade on my picture when I had a lock on the signal. Once I switched to the new receiver the picture became very clean, no more fading. When I move the RV, I only need to input the zipcode & set the dish to search and after a minute or so it finds the signal. Once the signal is found I turn off all power to the receiver for 30 secs, then plug it back in, the receiver resets & the picture appears. I can not tell the receiver to stay on any one transponder, even for setup.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I never have to go through set up with my Trav'ler DTV dish.
When ready to move. I unplug the HR23 receiver from 120V while on a signal.

After a 300 mile move or so. I have the Trav'ler find and lock on the satellite.
Then plug the HR23 back into 120V. No resetting needed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote