Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Rick

How did you get DNS, (Distant Network Stations), without a DTV "RV Account"?

In 2005, when I signed up for DNS, I had to send DTV a copy of my RV registration and sign a affidavit stating that I have a dish permanently attached to that RV and that I will not use any receiver on my DNS account anywhere other than in my RV.
Since that time I have been receiving both E coast & W coast DNS stations.

Currently, you can get ONLY either east OR west feeds.... it is not your choice, (which you will get is based solely on the account address).

BOTH east coast and west coast DNS stations are no longer available, (unless, like me, you are "grandfathered" in because of your original written agreement with DTV).
However, I do pay more because I chose to retain both E & W, (we travel coast to coast).

Mel
'96 Safari, KingDome antenna
Hey Mel...

I'm not sure "how" I got DNS w/o a dedicated RV account, but I did. Nobody at DTV ever even tried to steer me toward a separate account. Sounds like I have the same grandfathered deal you've got except I have a receiver on my account which is even labeled "RV living room" and never a word from them. We have both east and west HD feeds and use the feeds in the stick house too to allow us to watch some network programs earlier than we could otherwise. If I ever signed anything saying I wouldn't use a receiver in my RV... it must have been in the fine print.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just had a conversation with DTV with my set up. They didn't really care that my Genie and Client were in a MH. It is pretty straight forward...

1. I get local channels as long I a am within, roughly, 100-150 miles of my home address.

2. When I out of the home area I loose my local channels but nothing else.

3. To get either a West or East coast feed I need to sign an affidavit providing a billing and "permanent" address. Based on what time zone my billing address is, I get East coast feed if it is in the ET or CT zones or West feeds for MT or PT.

It is my understanding that i will also get local feeds based on the permanent address but that will have the same local area restrictions of about 100-150 miles or so. (I have seen some local coverage maps that suggest it could even be a bit larger area.)

Since I just signed up for DTV I can't speak to "grandfathered" accounts. I also can not verify that the permanent address will be easily changeable all the time or that it works as I have heard.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I just had a conversation with DTV with my set up. They didn't really care that my Genie and Client were in a MH. It is pretty straight forward...

1. I get local channels as long I a am within, roughly, 100-150 miles of my home address.

2. When I out of the home area I loose my local channels but nothing else.

3. To get either a West or East coast feed I need to sign an affidavit providing a billing and "permanent" address. Based on what time zone my billing address is, I get East coast feed if it is in the ET or CT zones or West feeds for MT or PT.

It is my understanding that i will also get local feeds based on the permanent address but that will have the same local area restrictions of about 100-150 miles or so. (I have seen some local coverage maps that suggest it could even be a bit larger area.)

Since I just signed up for DTV I can't speak to "grandfathered" accounts. I also can not verify that the permanent address will be easily changeable all the time or that it works as I have heard.
Sky_Boss
Thanks
That is the way mine works, except that I am grandfathered into to both
E & W network DNS feeds and get no "locals".
The affidavit has always been required but some subscribers, (like Rick), apparently got lucky, (aka: contacted a DTV operator that did not understand DTV's requirements/rules/regulations).

It is against DTV's policy. (they say "against the law"), to use a receiver authorized for reception of DNS channels to receive ANY DTV channels ANYWHERE other than in the coach to which it is registered.

Also, I was told if I change my DTV program package I will loose the west feeds.

BTW, years ago I meet an RVer from the LA, CA area, in Arizona that couldn't understand why I couldn't get my Wisconsin locals in AZ.
When he took me into his coach to show me, it turned out that he gets his locals everywhere because they are the LA stations that DTV beams nationwide for their DNS customers.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #32

I'm really confused as to DNS! In 2006 I bought my rig, got DirecTV and DNS after supplying my veh reg and signing the affidavit. A couple of years later decided I didn't need DNS and cancelled. When I tried to get it back last year was told I could not. Have since heard DISH has it but I don't want DISH. Not, from what I'm reading, I'm thinking I can call DirectTV, ask for DNS, sign the affidavit that my 'stick' house is my permanent address (which it is) and when I go on the road taking a bedroom DVR in my coach I can get at least one feed (I really don't care which) for networks. Is that true? Will I really lose the network feed when I'm outside the 150-200 mile range that some have mentioned? Or will the DNS give me one network feed nationwide? I really don't want to call Direct unless I'm sure and know exactly how to ask for what I want. The real confusing thing for me to understand is if I'm telling them I just want DNS in my house, and I already get my local channels there, why would I even want DNS in their mind? Thanks!

Jim
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
I'm really confused as to DNS! In 2006 I bought my rig, got DirecTV and DNS after supplying my veh reg and signing the affidavit. A couple of years later decided I didn't need DNS and cancelled. When I tried to get it back last year was told I could not. Have since heard DISH has it but I don't want DISH. Not, from what I'm reading, I'm thinking I can call DirectTV, ask for DNS, sign the affidavit that my 'stick' house is my permanent address (which it is) and when I go on the road taking a bedroom DVR in my coach I can get at least one feed (I really don't care which) for networks. Is that true? Will I really lose the network feed when I'm outside the 150-200 mile range that some have mentioned? Or will the DNS give me one network feed nationwide? I really don't want to call Direct unless I'm sure and know exactly how to ask for what I want. The real confusing thing for me to understand is if I'm telling them I just want DNS in my house, and I already get my local channels there, why would I even want DNS in their mind? Thanks!

Jim
Someone missed the boat when they told you you could not get DNS again because you had cancelled it once. You DO have to go through the affidavit process again but you should be able to get it.

You can NOT tell them that you want DNS in your stick house though. If you can receive locals already I don't believe it's "legal" to use DNS as well... at least that's my understanding. Tell them it's for an RV and you'll be able to get your local feeds when within your viewing area and DNS feeds wherever you are.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #34

Rick, I forgot to mention that originally I had cable tv in my house and Direct only in my motorhome. When I later put Direct in at the house they required a separate account for each. It was then I cancelled the DNS. I was later told by Direct that I DID NOT need two separate accounts and never had so they cancelled the motorhome account. SInce then I have taken one of the DVRs on the road. Having two accounts was a real PITA and I don't want to do that again if that's what will be required to get DNS. So when I call them and ask for DNS won't they immediately know that I am in a house with a dish mounted on a mast outside and, if so, how do I get around the two account 'thing'?

Jim
Old 10-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rick, I forgot to mention that originally I had cable tv in my house and Direct only in my motorhome. When I later put Direct in at the house they required a separate account for each. It was then I cancelled the DNS. I was later told by Direct that I DID NOT need two separate accounts and never had so they cancelled the motorhome account. SInce then I have taken one of the DVRs on the road. Having two accounts was a real PITA and I don't want to do that again if that's what will be required to get DNS. So when I call them and ask for DNS won't they immediately know that I am in a house with a dish mounted on a mast outside and, if so, how do I get around the two account 'thing'?

Jim
The two account thing comes up often. I'm not up to date on this, but my understanding was that, technically according to their rules, a second account for an RV is required... DNS or not.

However, their enforcement of this seems to be nearly non-existent. If an agent tells you you need two accounts, I'd either ask for a supervisor or call back and get another agent.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
SInce then I have taken one of the DVRs on the road.
That's all we do and haven't had any problems, but all we have is the standard receivers, none of the fancy ones. It all works just fine with our old Winegard antenna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #37

That's the 'rub' for me as I don't want DNS bad enough to go back to two accounts. The primary reason is that I did not like having to turn one account on an another off. I may call them and see what they say. Thanks again!

Jim
Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I am currently 184 miles from home and still receiving local channels. I think it just depends on which way the signal is directed. I can be closer to home and NOT get my local channels.
As for DirectTV knowing my second receiver is in my motorhome, they are the ones who originally installed it there! I have since changed motorhomes but I spoke to them as recently as a couple of hours ago and they knew I was calling about a problem with the service in the motorhome (no sound). Resetting it solved the problem. They asked if I had the problem with the other receiver and I told them I didn't know because I wasn't at home. They had no problem with my two locations.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #39

Quote:

Jim
Jim
DirecTV DNS is ONLY available to owners of rigs with a permanently mounted sat dish.
It's against FCC rules, (illegal?) to receive DNS in a residence.

Since you canceled once you will probably only be able to purchase/receive EITHER east OR west coast network stations, (depending upon your billing address).
I have had DNS for 10+ years and am "grandfathered" into BOTH east and west, (however I pay more for both than the "current subscription up-charge" for one coast).

Here are 2 "tips" that made things simpler/easier/faster/smoother for me when I last called DTV:

1.) Ask for the DNS department.... before you explain what you want, (or you will end up explaining it to several people before you get to someone that knows something), and can sign you up.

2.) If you have a hard time understanding the accent of whoever you get on the phone....demand to talk to someone you CAN understand.

Good luck with the red tape, (aka: jumping through hoops), required by DTV to sign up for DNS....(IMO it was worth it).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
So My dad got DirecTV in 1995 yesterday they informed me that the government passed some kind of law to where I need a separate account for the motorhome, hunting camp, and house, or I need to deactivate each receiver at the place I'm not at as in, if I'm home, the hunting camp/motorhome receiver needs to be deactivated, if I'm gone I need to deactivate the house. So that means no body at home could watch TV while I'm gone.
Has anyone heard of such or is it just some bull?
F239141
Sorry for this late reply.

DirecTV is notoriously hard to understand and communicate with.

If I were in your situation, this is what I would do:
1.) Call DTV's "Customer Retention Department", THEY DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE YOUR MONTHLY PAYMENT!
2.) Tell them that "ALL three receivers are being used in your home... (1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom and 1 in your family room, for example).
That will result in a single monthly programming/subscription charge, (plus 2 monthly "receiver lease" charges...one receiver will be free with the subscription)..... ALL on a SINGLE account.
3.) Once that is set up and being paid use the receivers wherever and whenever you want.

If you NEVER connect any of the receivers to a phone line, (and you NEVER let a DTV representative into your house, hunting camp or motor home), know one will ever know where you are using the receivers...or what you are watching..... and DirecTV will be perfectly satisfied with the money they receive each and every month.

BTW, DirecTV has never asked where my 2 receivers are, (or even if they are being used).
They have not known for over 10 years, and I doubt that they CARE... (as long as I keep paying the bill)!

Mel
'96 Safari, KingDome with DirecTV
Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
F239141
Sorry for this late reply.

DirecTV is notoriously hard to understand and communicate with.

If I were in your situation, this is what I would do:
1.) Call DTV's "Customer Retention Department", THEY DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE YOUR MONTHLY PAYMENT!
2.) Tell them that "ALL three receivers are being used in your home... (1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom and 1 in your family room, for example).
That will result in a single monthly programming/subscription charge, (plus 2 monthly "receiver lease" charges...one receiver will be free with the subscription)..... ALL on a SINGLE account.
3.) Once that is set up and being paid use the receivers wherever and whenever you want.

If you NEVER connect any of the receivers to a phone line, (and you NEVER let a DTV representative into your house, hunting camp or motor home), know one will ever know where you are using the receivers...or what you are watching..... and DirecTV will be perfectly satisfied with the money they receive each and every month.

BTW, DirecTV has never asked where my 2 receivers are, (or even if they are being used).
They have not known for over 10 years, and I doubt that they CARE... (as long as I keep paying the bill)!

Mel
'96 Safari, KingDome with DirecTV
Yep. And the ironic part is that the details in my account show one of my receivers as being located in the "RV". Anyone can go into their account and identify where each receiver is located. One of the options they offer in their drop down is RV.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is one applicable federal regulation that I know of, but it does not say what they told you it says.

IF your home is in an area that can receive network TV over the air, then Direc/Dish has to provide those stations to you, and they do it on a spot beam (This is by federal law) if you drive out of the "Spot" (Think of a spot light, same thing exactly) you will be, in the dark, network tv wise.

Well, they also offer "Distant Network Service" which is a "Flood light" lighting up all of the US, these are stations in NYC, area or LA area or in dishe's case a few other cities as well. You pick.

Your RV, qualifies for DNS... Very likely your house does not.

And that is the applicable federal law.

My advice. Dump the home account, and get an RV account, Usually they will provide "locals" as well as Distant to the RV (NOTE: they are not supposed to) so you can watch CSI both at home and on the road. Of course you use your "Spare" receivers from the RV account in the house... Just exactly as you do now.