Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Directv box connect to already existing Winegard setup HELP

I have been at this for well over 3 hours now and am at the end of my patience. I am trying to connect my Directv box from home to an already installed Winegard Trav'ler SK-SWM setup on our Newmar Canyon Star. We bought the coach barely used 4 years ago and while the wires were left hanging after the previous owner disconnected the receiver, I messed with them when I was trying to get the antenna to work and I have no recollection of what was where. I got as far as getting the satellite to set itself and now I am getting a 771 error. Prior to that I was getting a different 700 number but at this point I honestly can't remember which one. I am thinking I just have it hooked up incorrectly. I am a pretty optimistic person and usually keep trying until I get it right, but these cables are getting the best of me and I give up (for now). I am hoping someone can give me some guidance as to which cable goes where. I have attached a few photos that MAYBE will be helpful. Thank you ever so much!! BTW, from looking at the manual, it appeared the Power Inserter was missing, so I bought this one on Amazon: "AT&T (Formerly DIRECTV) 21 Volt Power Inserter for All DIRECTV SWM LNBs (PI21)"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DTV1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	316118   Click image for larger version

Name:	DTV2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	316119  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DTV3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	316120   Click image for larger version

Name:	DTV4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	316121  

TOAD - 2016 Ford CMax Hybrid
For The Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #2

Why does one of the wall plates read Dish Network?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Dwayne, which logo is on the Winegard dish? Dish or DirecTV?

At first blush, it would appear the cable should be moved over to the terminal labeled Dish prep.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
When looking at the 2nd pic -

There looks to be three options for input - two wall plates and the red cable / 4 port splitter - this all depends on how it was wired.

1. you can take the Power Inserter cable & attach it to the each one to determine if one it being used by the disk on the roof.

What is the red cable labeled - normally a splitter has input from the dish / power & output to the DTV box.
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #5

The Travler has 2 different set ups. One is for Dish and one for Direct. The Dish is only for Dish. The Direct can be converted to Dish with a $300 conversion kit. If you have a Dish Travler it can not be used with Direct. The roof mount connection may be for the over the air antenna. You need to determine which Travler you have.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

I have had issues connecting the way that I think your pics show. It's supposed to work, but sometimes it doesn't. Try installing the power inserter in the line between the splitter and the dish. Also, if you are not in your home spot beam, select a channel that is nationwide like 360.

BTW, if your receiver is an HR55, it has a built in power inserter.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Well, that's a good question, RonLC, and honestly, I didn't catch that. However, it's definitely a Directv system. It's on the manual and the logo is on the dish itself.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Actually, now that I give that a little more thought, I DID read that as "dish" not "Dish"

Old 01-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #9

I am not quite sure where the red coax is coming from or going to but if it is the input from the antenna it cannot be split before the DVR box. I'm sure most know that but sometimes we forget.

The injector needs to be before the DVR box then to the DVR.

One other thing is your antenna/dish a Direct TV or Dish network?? If this is a new install that might be the issue. Error code 771 means searching for a signal.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Dwayne, which logo is on the Winegard dish? Dish or DirecTV?

At first blush, it would appear the cable should be moved over to the terminal labeled Dish prep.
The logo is Directv. I considered that connection, but then "prep only" made me think that it was not to be used for basic connection. Also, I just googled those words and came up with a hit that brought me to a thread on this site. The consensus seems to be that Newmar has that connection available for a Dish system even though they use Directv on their installs.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
When looking at the 2nd pic -

There looks to be three options for input - two wall plates and the red cable / 4 port splitter - this all depends on how it was wired.

1. you can take the Power Inserter cable & attach it to the each one to determine if one it being used by the disk on the roof.

What is the red cable labeled - normally a splitter has input from the dish / power & output to the DTV box.
Red is labeled SKM 300

Old 01-29-2021, 07:07 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
The Travler has 2 different set ups. One is for Dish and one for Direct. The Dish is only for Dish. The Direct can be converted to Dish with a $300 conversion kit. If you have a Dish Travler it can not be used with Direct. The roof mount connection may be for the over the air antenna. You need to determine which Travler you have.
TXTiger, I already know I have Directv. Manual says Dtv. The dish has the Dtv logo. The control box readout says LG Dtv

Old 01-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I have had issues connecting the way that I think your pics show. It's supposed to work, but sometimes it doesn't. Try installing the power inserter in the line between the splitter and the dish. Also, if you are not in your home spot beam, select a channel that is nationwide like 360.

BTW, if your receiver is an HR55, it has a built in power inserter.
ernieh - The receiver is HR54, however, I just googled it and apparently it also has a built in power inserter--who knew--Ha! I will try the sequence switch you suggested. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, Newmar uses the word “prep” to indicate the wiring exists without the equipment on the terminal ends.

Judging only from what I can see in the pics, I would think your terminal labeled “roof mount” would be for your OTA antenna. I would try the Dish terminal and see what happens. When you order a new coach, you are given the choice between Dish, DirecTV, or just “sat prep”.

It’s possible the previous owner added the Winegard himself, which would mean it was ordered as “Dish prep”, but the owner decided to go in another direction.

Tags
directv