RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Directv DNS service ending

With DTV DNS service ending in June has anybody with the Winegard 1000 dish setup changed out the required dish components to switch to DISH TV? I haven't called Winegard yet to ask that question but will tomorrow.

Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #2

What is DNS?

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:28 PM   #3

Distant Network Service.

Its the Big 4 networks ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX broadcasts from NYC, NY or LA, CA. depending on what you signed up.

With DNS you get the channels nation wide. Without it you need to constantly change service address to the spot beamed local networks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #4

Being discussed here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/just...tv-485939.html
Old 06-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #5

Today DNS was supposed to end. Iím still getting all my networks, both east and west coast feeds.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Today DNS was supposed to end. Iím still getting all my networks, both east and west coast feeds.

My DNS ceased yesterday, June 1st.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I still have E/W for all 3 networks. Maybe they forgot me.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #8

Got Mine!

E & W were both woking yesterday -but GONE now !
Don/Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #9

Thanks Feds for letting the STELAR Act expire...just what we need in the middle of all the other things going on these days.

ABC is gone for us, but we are still getting CBS, NBC and FOX (for now). But, we are in our normal home base spot in Florida so we get all the "official" non-DNS versions since this is our address on file with DirecTV.

DirecTV could make it easy to update the service address (like DISH does). I have tried this a few times...only lucked out once with DirecTV, and it happened in minutes (updating service address). The other times I gave up after several hours on the phone...they wanted to send a technician to the new service address!!!
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Question DNS with Directv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
Thanks Feds for letting the STELAR Act expire...just what we need in the middle of all the other things going on these days.

ABC is gone for us, but we are still getting CBS, NBC and FOX (for now). But, we are in our normal home base spot in Florida so we get all the "official" non-DNS versions since this is our address on file with DirecTV.

DirecTV could make it easy to update the service address (like DISH does). I have tried this a few times...only lucked out once with DirecTV, and it happened in minutes (updating service address). The other times I gave up after several hours on the phone...they wanted to send a technician to the new service address!!!
So, we too lost ABC but have the others from NY in our current location in N Cali. Trying to interpret the AT&T message on DNS. It says they’ve negotiated continuing service for SOME customers for CBS, PBS, NBC, Fox & CW. They are negotiating with ABC for same. Who is SOME customers? Are we going to lose the other stations from NY in the next few days? Was this an instant process on 6/1 or something that takes time to delete for all us DNS folks?
Just trying to figure out how to program the old DVR- we record most of our shows from NY, then watch and ff thru commercials since they are recorded 1-3 hours earlier depending on our current location.
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #11

Just Checked

I lost ABC (397) and CW (395)
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
With DTV DNS service ending in June has anybody with the Winegard 1000 dish setup changed out the required dish components to switch to DISH TV? I haven't called Winegard yet to ask that question but will tomorrow.
I am interested in the original question. I have direct tv and have never hooked it up because the plan seems to suck. Can the dish on the roof be changed over to Dish Network?
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:25 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I am interested in the original question. I have direct tv and have never hooked it up because the plan seems to suck. Can the dish on the roof be changed over to Dish Network?
There are "You tube" videos by Wineguard to show how to do the conversion. There is a kit you can buy to make the conversion, and the video shows how to do everything.

So the answer is yes.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:49 AM   #14

I found out from WINEGARD that not all DirecTv dishes can be changed over, depends on age and serial number. Ours unfortunately cannot be changed over, it will have to be replaced. Thanks congress!

Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, service